Sign in to follow this  
Assifuah

[Discussion] What is your favourite aspect of modding in the Squad SDK?

Assifuah   

Since Steam Workshop support is in the works and getting closer day by day, lets have a discussion about modding!

Just like the title says, what is your favourite aspect of modding in the Squad SDK? There's a lot to discover and experiment within the Squad SDK - from making maps, vehicles and weapons to creating game modes and making cool systems and mechanics.

Personally, my favourite part is creating assets for mappers to use in their environments/maps. Being able to understand how the current assets are made is vital in being able to do this efficiently and to a good level of quality, so it's really cool sifting through all the assets the developers have used in their maps!

Do you peeps have any tips and tricks to share with others about your favourite aspect? Please let us know!

Antol   

One of my fav things about Squad SDK is the engine itself: it is fresh, nextgen and things can look gorgeous. There are really many possibilities. We all know how it was with Unreal Engine 3, for how long new games and tools were made on that engine.
I think with UE4 it will be the same or even better.

When i was working on Polish Faction for Project Reality (a BF2 mod) we had a serious problem with lack of documentation, lack of people willing to help us because modders that knew how to work on that engine were not active anymore. At that time Battlefield 2 modding scene wasn't on the highest form. 
We were looking for people with knowledge and enough freetime to help us in our project. Hah i've even found a guy who made for us export of one vehicle. Clive, from Australia, 52 years old... yep.

But here with all this support from devs, modding hub, the Community...
With every day there are more and more new people that want or know how to create things. This is amazing. This is how you make a modding support for your game. Great environment and foundations for future projects like new factions, maps and total modifications of Squad. I want to see all of these things. And i know that i will.
Soon™.

Good to be here.

Gatzby   

Really, really a novice here, but I've been enjoying how approachable modding is now. Just dabbling with Blueprints seems to have way more potential than they should, heh. Nice to have the tools really being built for everyone to use.

I mean, it's no WadEd, but hey. =P

On 24/08/2017 at 3:05 AM, Gatzby said:

Really, really a novice here, but I've been enjoying how approachable modding is now ... Nice to have the tools really being built for everyone to use.

yeppers! totally agree on that. I love the creative aspect of modding in general and what the Devs have so kindly given us access to here, and in the future, is the ability to have a red hot go, using already established stuffs from their game. I really am quite blown away by the Devs willingness to open their stuff up to us n00bs out here - i can't think of it happening ever before and they deserve all the kudos and cigars money can buy, just for doing that for the community.

My fav bit of modding (being creative) is two-fold;

> firstly creating stuff - building assets/objects - i use Lightwave3D 11.5 for all my modelling as i have used LW3D in it's various iterations as a hobby since version 3.5 (on the Amiga i think) so i find it really easy to use. the only issue i have with it is it still don't (even in 2016 version) support Smoothing Groups in FBX export - but i suspect this issue has more to do with Epic not supporting a lot of other software (eg: only MSVS for scripting, only Maya/3DS for modelling, etc.).

> second fav bit is the actual map making. i'm not some big-time-modder but i have spent a shipload of time making maps for Joint Ops and found it to be one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things to do.

On 23/08/2017 at 2:09 AM, Assifuah said:

it's really cool sifting through all the assets the developers have used in their maps!

i know, right! so many toys to play with :)

For Squad i will be making some assets and maps; the assets being civilian buildings, a couple of vehicles and mybe a suppressed MP5 as well as a few game-play objects - all these will be available for everyone to use at their discression once i release them.

The other thing i will be doing with Squad is my Gameplay Mod. i will be calling it, tentatively, Squad_JO and it will be a Joint Ops mod for Squad, using the same maps and assets i am currently building and featuring a much modified Game Style - the Mod will have to wait a bit at this stage because of OWI (releasing a finished version of the SDK and allowing access to other underlying systems and functions of Squad) and myself finishing all the assets i will need.

The only thing i can complain about atm, and it's a really big one, is the state of Dynamic Lighting in UE4 - it is really terrible at acurately drawing shadows and has some other less than desirable 'features' that need fixing as well. oh, and would be good to have  a vector-based Draw as well. ;)

GG's

.LJ

Edited by LaughingJack