Posted (edited)

i2u6xiM.jpg

Name

Yamalo

Yamalo Nenets okrug, Russian Federation

Size

8km

Teams

US Army vs Russia (Possible RUSvCAN or RUSvMIL)

Gameplay

Long Range Vehicle Engagements, Close Quarters INF Trench Fighting

Download Link

[Unreleased]

Description

Yamalo-Nenets autonomous okrug (region) (also spelled Yamalo-Nenetsky, Yamalo-Nenetsia, Yamalia) is a part of Ural federal district of the Russian Federation. The city of Salekhard is the administrative center of the region.

The region is located in the arctic zone of West-Siberian plain, in the center of Extreme North of Russia.

The population of Yamalo-Nenets region is about 542,000 (2012), land area - 769,250 sq. km.

The relief of Yamalo-Nenets region is plain, it consists of tundra and forest-tundra with a lot of lakes and marshland

Yamalo is a map made for vehicular warfare and superfobs. With expansive plains hundreds of meters wide and large 'Islands' of dense tundra forest all in an 8KM playable area, it will be both a dream and a nightmare. 

Yamalo is quite obviously inspired by the Project Reality map "Yamalia" and while it's layout is completely separate and made entirely from scratch, I hope you'll have the same feeling plowing your way through the swamps in an APC as you did on the old Yamalia. I've done everything I can to preserve the old feel of Yamalia while simultaneously bringing every part of it up to date, as well as adding some new touches of my own  

The map features many trench systems, dug in fortifications, and tunnels. I've tried to make sure that each cap point has it's own interest and unique features, and all but a few points in the final version will have some type of interest to them. 

I have, however, left plenty of room on each point for teams to dig in a build expansive superFOBs, something that I really hope is taken advantage of in gameplay. 

Screenshots/Media:

SnHZACW.jpgzWSWKbm.jpg

eRtqjJ0.jpgHBsJgEy.jpg

qsZzT4m.jpg8Rvb48P.jpg

sAGNYXm.jpgWtsTMGH.jpg

VzQ6Pyb.jpg43KVr0Y.jpg

Edited by Axton

I was born on Yamal and had lived there for 20 years. Probably it's going to be one of my favorites

On 8/31/2017 at 5:15 AM, fatalsushi said:

This absolutely needs to get added to vanilla Squad.

The grass too.  Being able to actually hide in grass..  Yes please.

Also the long distance that the grass still renders would be very nice, specially recalling that Axton said he 'magically' got it to that without causing performance issues.

Or am I wrong?

I'm not gonna claim that my grass is perfect, as I've only been able to test on 2 PCs so it could go any which way if actually implemented. However, on the two PCs I've tested on, it adds an extra +5 frames when drawing to 1km (Compared to normal grass rendering to 50m) and it has no quantifiable drop when rendering to 3km. 

I've currently got it capped at 1km though because the performance gain is nice and the fog obscures anything further than that.

So you want to hide in grass ... 81HkutPHilL._SL1200_.jpg

1200px-British_and_French_Snipers_During

Nice to know your grass may not be perfect... :)

Edited by XRobinson

axton bro , quick question if i may ? You are like a developer type of modder in the modding community man .... I mean you have so many thing that you created from like scrap i think , which is ****ing insane man ! Why aren't you part of the OWI developers ? 

Oh and it might sound stuiped but .... Can you like show the devs how you done that very long grass draw distance thing ? I mean if it is good as you say it is why not have this on every map ? Because as far as i know if you enter "ghost mode" and high above the map building and grass disappear at a heli flying altitude ... I mean i am sure the devs have thier on ideas on what to do about this , but if your system is better ? J...just saying 

Edited by L0cation

On 9/10/2017 at 6:04 AM, L0cation said:

axton bro , quick question if i may ? You are like a developer type of modder in the modding community man .... I mean you have so many thing that you created from like scrap i think , which is ****ing insane man ! Why aren't you part of the OWI developers ? 

Oh and it might sound stuiped but .... Can you like show the devs how you done that very long grass draw distance thing ? I mean if it is good as you say it is why not have this on every map ? Because as far as i know if you enter "ghost mode" and high above the map building and grass disappear at a heli flying altitude ... I mean i am sure the devs have thier on ideas on what to do about this , but if your system is better ? J...just saying 

Haha, I've been working for OWI for a while actually, I'm just not on the squad team. (yet ;)

They hired me on to work on a proof of concept for the modding system called squadron which you'll all be seeing soon. (and you may have seen already if you lurk around the modding discord)

As for the grass, some devs have asked about it and I did tell them how I did it, and I believe they said they were going to use some bits of it (or that they were already planning on doing something similar). I'm not entirely sure they'll be using the super far draw distance (it has a few limitations, such as not working very well on maps that aren't flat) but I do think you'll all see some performance improvements from foliage sometime in the future. :) 

Edited by Axton

38 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

I guess a lack of certain vehicles is currently holding you back from releasing this?

More like a lack of Steam Workshop integration release

It's a mix of both actually :D I'm still on the fence as to whether to release it right when the workshop drops or if I should wait till tanks (at the very least) are in. 

In other news, the 4.16 SDK is here! And it comes with improvements to yamalo!

There's actually a lot of stuff I'll be adding from 4.16 but this is just the initial stuff.

Most of the changes are pretty small, like the new tonemapper and some nice post process settings. 

But one of the bigger additions is global illumination by way of light propagation volumes! 

These were actually already in the old SDK, but a few issues prevented me from using them effectively until now.

Basically, what GI does, is bounce light off of surfaces just like it would do in real life. Which means that colored objects reflect colored light, and that light will filter down into tunnels and such, and will light up houses with open windows, but if you're in a closed off cavern or something, it will be dark as all hell just like IRL.

To sum it up, this lets me have nice, brightly lit surface buildings and interiors, which realistically dark tunnels and basements. 

Here's a demonstration:

With the traditional skylight, both the basement and the inside of the house would be at the same brightness. 

This works fantastically in the tunnels as well ;) 

uY6jZsQ.jpg

(Bonus points if you can spot the russian)

thx for the update. :x

3 hours ago, Axton said:

But one of the bigger additions is global illumination by way of light propagation volumes! 

maybe a stupid question, but does eye adaptation work properly with this global illumination?

when you went into the tunnel, did it get any brighter? - not sure. :$

4 hours ago, Axton said:

It's a mix of both actually :D I'm still on the fence as to whether to release it right when the workshop drops or if I should wait till tanks (at the very least) are in. 

In other news, the 4.16 SDK is here! And it comes with improvements to yamalo!

There's actually a lot of stuff I'll be adding from 4.16 but this is just the initial stuff.

Most of the changes are pretty small, like the new tonemapper and some nice post process settings. 

These were actually already in the old SDK, but a few issues prevented me from using them effectively until now.

Basically, what GI does, is bounce light off of surfaces just like it would do in real life. Which means that colored objects reflect colored light, and that light will filter down into tunnels and such, and will light up houses with open windows, but if you're in a closed off cavern or something, it will be dark as all hell just like IRL.

To sum it up, this lets me have nice, brightly lit surface buildings and interiors, which realistically dark tunnels and basements. 

Here's a demonstration:

With the traditional skylight, both the basement and the inside of the house would be at the same brightness. 

This works fantastically in the tunnels as well ;) 

uY6jZsQ.jpg

(Bonus points if you can spot the russian)

Looks awsome Axton !!! Can't wait to play on it !!

1 hour ago, beginna said:

thx for the update. :x

maybe a stupid question, but does eye adaptation work properly with this global illumination?

when you went into the tunnel, did it get any brighter? - not sure. :$

Yeah it works just fine. I have it turned down a bit on yamalo though

5 hours ago, Axton said:

I have no idea how much work it would be, but would it not be an option to release a small layer for the current inf/vehicle situation we have at the moment?

I am way to hyped for this map and can´t wait to try it on a full server... :3

I've definitely considered it, but because of how stretched out the locations on the map are it would be a bit difficult to accomplish. We'll see :D

If you're using GI on your map do you have AO on or off? I find the AO Squad is using gives strange shadows making the scene look unrealistic at times, especially indoors. How much, if at all, is GI a hit on performance compared to using vanilla AO?

I turned AO down a bit as it tends to overdarken corners when used with GI, however it seems to work just fine. 

Haven't been able to do thorough performance testing yet, but I noticed no drop when enabling GI and it doesn't seem to take up much GPU time at all

Just now, Axton said:

I turned AO down a bit as it tends to overdarken corners when used with GI, however it seems to work just fine. 

Haven't been able to do thorough performance testing yet, but I noticed no drop when enabling GI and it doesn't seem to take up much GPU time at all

Nice, thanks. Those tunnels look great. Very atmospheric. Any of the current ones we have, eg Fools Road, don't have anywhere near the atmosphere of yours.