r0tzbua

What are you working on?

I've spent a lot of time recently working with my new procedural packs and creating original landscapes from terrain party. Previously I had taught myself the engine by dicking around reverse engineering the stock maps every which way from Sunday but I've come to the conclusion that "nuevo mapas" is the way to go in order to make something that interests me and may or may not, irregardless interest others. Plus the fact that I'm trying to make maps constrained at 63x63 for better performance.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time looking for interesting unusual terrain on Google Earth and came to the conclusion that one of the places we visit occasionally to fish and camp called Newberry National Volcanic Monument which has a very interesting layout very conducive to an infantry only map for Squad. Needless to say, I grabbed the 10 meter heightmap from terrain party and resized it smaller to accentuate the terrain and this is what I've come up with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newberry_Volcano

20128F6CA661BA6C32EB7AC2C3E90BB95D6FE3DB

7026E910CB954C50A1C179D42FA2754C5E3A6169

0E2130F9D10629CC4DECE21CBA1A6526B4CC35A4

FF8380AC5D234612AF07C2D8745DBFD1BAC08B6E

38 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I'm trying to make maps constrained at 63x63 for better performance.

I'm curious, what does 63x63 in "game" units work out to in meters? Looking at the map it "feels" like 500m or 1km squared, but not sure.

Also, from that video and screenshots.... how are your FPS so low without any complicated assets on the map!? A couple of trees, shrubs and grass = 20fps? :o

7 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

I'm curious, what does 63x63 in "game" units work out to in meters? Looking at the map it "feels" like 500m or 1km squared, but not sure.

Also, from that video and screenshots.... how are your FPS so low without any complicated assets on the map!? A couple of trees, shrubs and grass = 20fps? :o

Oh I was messing around and cranked it up to epic for the screenshots which my video card can't quite handle. As far as the heightmap goes it may well be a little bigger. Anyway I've got to start over from scratch as I discovered I made a major error. Mainly it's just kind of a proof of concept map that I keep refining.

That one tree in middle seems not to fit in scene, might look a wee bit better without that tree...looks cool, needs fishing poles and camping gear...

2 hours ago, XRobinson said:

That one tree in middle seems not to fit in scene, might look a wee bit better without that tree...looks cool, needs fishing poles and camping gear...

Yeah that tree is a bit off in the color of it's bark and foliage. I'm going to tweak that later with Squad materials for continuity. There are also many variations of that deciduous tree with additional branches and vines. Also the map will be considerably darker with shadows and I'll raise the fog level back up. In addition, I'll be putting in a waterfall and a few stone buildings around the map. I gotta get my ducks in a row and apply for a thread in the mapping section for a full presentation of the map. Also, do any of you know how to create the minimap you see in the game?

@Zylfrax791: MINIMAP:

from the left hand menu: basic objects> Add Empty Actor. do this twice and name them MapActor_0 and MapActor_1.

goto top (plan) view and place '_0' at the bottom left corner of your mappable area and place '_1' at the top right corner.

goto World Settings pane and scroll down to Minimap. within this select the output(?) to be Single & 4096, set the corner markers to your MapActors and press the make map button. this will make your single-piece 4096x4096 colour minimap which it will dump into the root of your Levels folder.  you then will have to add into the game level via somthing in the GameMode settings - iirc - i'd have to look it up again after work, unless someone can clarify for me.

25 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

@Zylfrax791: MINIMAP:

from the left hand menu: basic objects> Add Empty Actor. do this twice and name them MapActor_0 and MapActor_1.

goto top (plan) view and place '_0' at the bottom left corner of your mappable area and place '_1' at the top right corner.

goto World Settings pane and scroll down to Minimap. within this select the output(?) to be Single & 4096, set the corner markers to your MapActors and press the make map button. this will make your single-piece 4096x4096 colour minimap which it will dump into the root of your Levels folder.  you then will have to add into the game level via somthing in the GameMode settings - iirc - i'd have to look it up again after work, unless someone can clarify for me.

Cool. Thank you. I'll give it a try.

ac119_fullplane_texture8.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture9.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture10.jpg

Those are high poly paint models above with more paint added, the one below is mid poly model with just a Camo texture on it with added roof details.  I also changed the propeller shaft to be that of actual plane, some civilian versions have the longer propeller shaft; which are the blueprints I went off of were, so I had to add the modifications of the military version.

ac119_fullplane_texture_lowpolymodel.jpg

Just did an in engine test of the Camo textured plane to see how it would look in engine, I darkened it a little because testing on a desert map.  

camo_inenginetest_texture.jpg

Edited by XRobinson

I got a couple more of in game pics I made for anyone who wants to have some background pics for their computer or phone.  Plus looking for help getting this plane flying in game, is there anyone who has the BP's already made up for this?  Let me know, I want to get the props turning and wheels moving, flaps going, engine sounds going, and lift off, oh and get the guns going too, but need to get it flying first I think.  Thanks.  Here you go airbase Dakar One....out.

camo_inenginetest_texture3.jpg

camo_inenginetest_texture2.jpg

Edited by XRobinson

On 9/8/2017 at 0:06 AM, XRobinson said:

Full texture map of plane started...this is experimentation right now to get a feel for final paint job, plane is still WIP. These work great on your cell phone or background on your computer too. :)

ac119_fullplane_texture.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture2.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture3.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture4.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture5.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture6.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture7.jpg

I hate to nitpick, but it looks like you've got some things wrong with the fuselage. The nosecone, overall profile and window placement. This is a good resource:  http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/c-119/c-119_all.shtml

pam_c-119f_01.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUcyBEUDMywFw-MqF0lEJ

I used this blueprint, its not the AC119k Stinger, I had to change it to this:

gunship_ac119.jpg?h=sgl2GPuYRT4_lRwAuUPY

There are different nose configurations and fuselage differences in different model versions of the c 119 boxcar, your pic is not a coverted c 119 boxcar into a AC119k Stinger.  Here is some references: 3aebb59b44a0086a6395049ea9b63f20.jpg

0942fe87b29785c593ca804e69eb20fd.jpg

afaeb73a48da56947291a174931f9d45.jpg

See there were lots of differences between the varients, the nose Iam still going to reshape but the profile matches the k stinger bluprint above, the front view needs reshaping, was waiting for someone to see differences. Since that blueprint I went off is slightly different and how 3d programs make curved meshes, it will not be exact it will be slightly off, but still very exact to blueprint I used considering how non straight the lines are in it. The bluprint I went off has shorter tail section and different fuselage, but I can go back and re do just the fuselage, and will still tweak the nose cone view from front to be more exact. Thanks. :)

ludendorrf_textured5.jpg

ludendorrf_textured4.jpg

ludendorrf_textured3.jpg

ludendorrf_textured2.jpg

ludendorrf_textured1.jpg

Welcome to the real Ludendorff bridge.

Last night I dug out my old bridge build and decided to bring it in Substance Painter, I think I will try to do another UV map for it though because its a big mesh and the detailing paint is getting stretched, may do a projection by view UV map, so can get the details like rivets and wear and tear on it.  No I haven't given up on WW2 map for this bridge, this bridge may show in HUE map for Vietnam as well as the bridge that crosses on the left side, as this is a railroad bridge like the one that was there.  I have been trying to ramp things up and get these things made and in a playable map, time to work overtime...had a little fun with GIMP and put what a tank might look like on the bridge... :)

Those that do not know about the General Ludendorff bridge  named after a WW1 General:

Edited by XRobinson

44 minutes ago, FishMan said:

God I hate bridges in Heroes and Generals.

But do you like bridges and fighting over them?  There's 20 sections on this bridge that I hope to make destructable, so vehicles cant pass without repairing.  And there will be ladders and under bridge parts to find a snipers nest in to get any swimmers in water or boats trying to cross by using bridge as cover.  Fingers crosssed.  People might get bored or have so much fun fighting hard for the bridge at all costs to win. To make it more interesting I thought, if Germans can take out 10 sections then bridge collapses, and is not repairable, and makes an Allied win much more difficult but not impossible.

Edited by XRobinson

Hi poly of Desert Patrol Vehicle (DPV), formerly called the Fast Attack Vehicle (FAV),
The model will be equipped with 50 cal machine gun , its still in WIP but it will be finished soon.
It will be imported in Unreal 4 and will be full driveable with active suspensions .

It will be fun to see those pistons move up and down 

RaP_DPV_HI_S1.jpgRaP_DPV_HI_S2.jpgRaP_DPV_HI_S3.jpgRaP_DPV_HI_S5.jpgRaP_DPV_HI_S4.jpg

3 hours ago, RaPtOr_v9600 said:

Hi poly of Desert Patrol Vehicle (DPV), formerly called the Fast Attack Vehicle (FAV),
The model will be equipped with 50 cal machine gun , its still in WIP but it will be finished soon.
It will be imported in Unreal 4 and will be full driveable with active suspensions .

It will be fun to see those pistons move up and down 

RaP_DPV_HI_S1.jpgRaP_DPV_HI_S2.jpgRaP_DPV_HI_S3.jpgRaP_DPV_HI_S5.jpgRaP_DPV_HI_S4.jpg

**** ! Man ! That is ****ing awsome keep it up !!

Thank you guys, yeah its nostalgic for me too, i cant remember how many games used this vehicle,  

and don't know why is so good to see it in game.

And i even didn't know that it can be equipped with anti tank missile, until i started modeling and doing some research

So it can definitely toast some old tanks 

Still doing some minor changes to hi poly and then work on low poly begins

1 hour ago, RaPtOr_v9600 said:

And i even didn't know that it can be equipped with anti tank missile, until i started modeling and doing some research

So it can definitely toast some old tanks 

Just for the variety the Mk19 grenade launcher might be fun. Stop you having to aim so accurately when at high speed across the landscape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_19_grenade_launcher

Edited by Major Trouble