Jump to content
r0tzbua

What are you working on?

Recommended Posts

I created this just to test some new technique adding some details ( bolts, groves and other details )
in substance. 

But overall i like it :) 

RaP_Mac_10_HI_Shoot_1.pngRaP_Mac_10_HI_Shoot_2.pngRaP_Mac_10_HI_Shoot_3.pngRaP_Mac_10_HI_Shoot_4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I said blended, it does not have to be completely a real photo texture... but I get it.  I thought photogrammetry is the future?

Edited by XRobinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r0tzbua   
1 hour ago, XRobinson said:

Well I said blended, it does not have to be completely a real photo texture... but I get it.  I thought photogrammetry is the future?

 

It may very well be. But it's much more than just taking a photo and using its color information for texturing.

 

In other news: Mailboxes!

 

highresscreenshot0001dqu8d.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FishMan   
4 hours ago, XRobinson said:

 I thought photogrammetry is the future?

Partially. It's never will replace traditional ways of making art.

 

And not only because many things doesn't exist in real life or does not suitable for art-direction & quality demands.
Technically for example you can't do photogrammetry for metalic or glossy suraces cause they are reflective.

And some additional hand work is required afterwards in any case, so it's not a panacea.

 

And yes to make good scan of weapon you'll have at least dissasamble it first. And in my opinion the quality of the scan still will be very low for first person shooters. I still think that modeling and textruing it in a traditional way will give the best quality.

 

Why I think it is possible? Because there is a guy, his name is Alec Moody and he is doing photogrammetry for his car and it looks very pretty. But still Iam not 100% sure that this technics can be used for a weapons. And as far as I know some parts he still doing by hand.

Edited by FishMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree i think that making traditional art will always exist, in fact i think you can do scans but there is a problem optimizing objects, 

When creating low poly models the parts that will rarely  bee seen in game needs to be optimized in that way that that they still have good quality but with performance in mind,

 

Any way i finished the MAC 10 textured and ready for Unreal 4 

2048 x 2048 textures and PBR ready
I learned some new techniques texturing hard surface models that will help in future projects.

RaP_Mac_10_LO_S1.pngRaP_Mac_10_LO_S2.pngRaP_Mac_10_LO_S3.pngRaP_Mac_10_LO_S4.pngRaP_Mac_10_LO_S5.pngRaP_Mac_10_LO_S6.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FishMan   

Looks like concrete O_o

I think you should spend more time working with refrences.

 

By the way here is nice piece of software to organize your reference sheet. It's free.

I personally using it a lot, cant imagine my life without it... )

Edited by FishMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r0tzbua   

I think you should look into the wear more. At the moment it all looks very generic, like you'd just put a grunge map over it.

 

The link FishMan posted on the last page is great regarding that.

 

vadim-spiridonov-12.jpg?1489434540

 

Look at that AK, every scratch tells a story, ever edge has seen some hard times and wear appears mostly where it is realistic to appear.

 

Also you should check your PNG settings, there are quite some artefacts, it seems like you're using only 8bit colors or something.

 

If you're doing the texturing in Substance Painter i'd try to look into mask generators a little bit, they're great for some basic edge definition!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LugNut   

To get accurate scans, you need good equipment and it is one case where you absolutely do get what you pay for, any scanner that relies on visual data, like a laser or white light scanner will have distortion since you are using a camera with lens that distort the image. Probe scanners are accurate, but low resolution, the best and most perfect scans I've worked with are CT scans, they are really amazing, but they don't capture textures, just the physical scan. OFC, it'll cost you @ $1,000 bucks for a scan using one of those.

 

In many cases, scans are only used a reference to build a model around because of these issues. 

 

It's one of the things I do for a living, I don't know much about making games, but I do know CAD/3D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FishMan   

Well I must say that extreme accuracy is not necessary for games. Acurate scans are more common for GIS than for Game Development...

Visual fidelity can be a goal, but for most of the time things should look just pretty and it should be faster and cheaper than making by hands.

Thats why DICE and Bioware (on their current project) for 50-75% using scanned assets, cause it faster and cheaper, also results looks very realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Painted this yesterday, my second paint job using Substance Painter..the propellers of the AC119K Stinger...I like the paint program so far.  I added lots of weathering and scratches, experimented with masking and using layers, I used 6 layers on this.  

blade_test_paint.jpg

Edited by XRobinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2017 at 11:51 PM, FishMan said:

I bet he was trying to do this one xD

67895793849improguns.jpg

Hehe not quite,

Ref pic 

400px-TrueLiesMAC-10.jpg

yes i work in substance but i didnt want it tl be to scratched just plain mac 10, semi used.

Regardim artifacts i think those are shadows due render.

 

I will make weathered version, im not big fan of generators but they give some good base to work on.

Edited by RaPtOr_v9600

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2017 at 11:38 PM, FishMan said:

Looks like concrete O_o

I think you should spend more time working with refrences.

 

By the way here is nice piece of software to organize your reference sheet. It's free.

I personally using it a lot, cant imagine my life without it... )

Ty for link im still in 2003 puting reference in one folder its a mes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FishMan   
On 04.09.2017 at 10:50 AM, r0tzbua said:

Everything starts small!

 

2017-09-0322_26_12-paaqquf.png

Uh dude you are spending too much time on it.

Look how pros doing it:

gihUhN8BPMI.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r0tzbua   
2 hours ago, FishMan said:

Uh dude you are spending too much time on it.

Look how pros doing it:

I know, I'm an overachiever.

 

Revisited a meh-texture yesterday to make it a little bit less meh.

 

gunther-feldbaumer-fm78-01.jpg?150455945

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My continue practice this time i modeled hand grenade from my former country Yugoslavia reliable M-75 hand grenade also known as  "Kašikara "

2048 x 2048 PBR textures and Unreal 4 ready.

Any comment criticism  or advice  from anyone is welcome.

RaP_M75_S_2.pngRaP_M75_S_1.pngRaP_M75_S_4.pngRaP_M75_S_3.png

 

Some work on textures

RaP_m75_kasikara_SF.png

Edited by RaPtOr_v9600

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full texture map of plane started...this is experimentation right now to get a feel for final paint job, plane is still WIP. These work great on your cell phone or background on your computer too. :)

ac119_fullplane_texture.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture2.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture3.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture4.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture5.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture6.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture7.jpg

Edited by XRobinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L0cation   
1 hour ago, XRobinson said:

Full texture map of plane started...this is experimentation right now to get a feel for final paint job, plane is still WIP. These work great on your cell phone or background on your computer too. :)

ac119_fullplane_texture.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture2.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture3.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture4.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture5.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture6.jpg

ac119_fullplane_texture7.jpg

Nice !!!! What is this plane ? What it is used for in real life ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L0cation   
4 hours ago, XRobinson said:

AC119k Stinger used in Vietnam war 1968 to hit trucks on the Ho Chi Min trail and do artillery support for ground units without artillery on the ground and other missions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_AC-119

Sounds awsome man ! But is it still in use today ? What faction is it for ? 

Have you made it for a vietnam mod ?

Edited by L0cation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, L0cation said:

Sounds awsome man ! But is it still in use today ? What faction is it for ? 

Have you made it for a vietnam mod ?

Yes, so happens there is a Vietnam mod discord and Im on it.  Its not got a full team yet, and not official, but people are there working on maps and assets, guns, and are here in these threads.  The Boxcar civilian version is still in use, these military version conversions planes may still be in use in Asian countries, as I read somewhere online.  Check this story out and website: quote from page:

The night of May 8, 1970 witnessed an extraordinary display of airmanship when a Stinger crew Stinger 21 operating over Ban Ban, Laos, brought back a gunship despite extensive anti-aircraft artillery (triple-A) damage. Captain Alan D. Milacek and his nine-man crew had been reconnoitering a heavily defended road section near Ban Ban, laos, when they discovered, attacked and destroyed two trucks. Captain James A. Russell and Captain Ronald C. Jones, the sensor operators, located three more trucks. As the aircraft banked into attack orbit, six enemy positions opened up with a barrage of triple-A fire. The copilot, Captain. Brent C. O'Brien, cleared the fighter escort for attack and the gunship circled as the F-4's worked to suppress the triple-A fire. Amid the heavy enemy fire Captain Milacek resumed the attack and killed another truck. At 0100, just about 2 hours into the mission, "the whole cargo compartment lit up" as enemy rounds tore into the Stingers right wing. A "sickening right dive of the aircraft" ensued and Milacek called "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, we're going in." He shouted orders to SSgt Adolpho Lopez, Jr., the IO (Illumnator Operator), to jettison the flare launcher. Captain milacek directed the entire crew to get ready for instant bailout. As the gunship dropped about 1,000 feet within a few seconds, Captains milacek and O'Brien pooled their strength to pull the aircraft out of its dive. By using full-left rudder, full-left aileron, and maximum power on the two right engines, they regained stabalized flight. The full-engine power fueled 2 to 3 foot flames-torchlights for enemy gunners as the crippled Stinger desperately headed for friendly territory. The navigator, Captain Roger E. Clancy, gave the correct heading but warned they were too low to clear a range of mountains towering between them and safety. What's more, the crew discovered that the fule consumption would likely mean dry tanks before reaching base.
The crew tossed out every possible item to lighten the load and the aircraft slowely climbed to 10,000 feet. TSgt Albert A. Nash, the flight engineer, reported the fuel-consumption rate had fallen. Capt. Milacek elected to land the damaged plane and when he approached the base area he ran a careful check of the controls. He found that almost full-left rudder and aileron would allow him to keep control. With uncertain flap damage, Milacek chose a no-flap landing approach at 150 knots (normally 117 knots). Utilizing every bit of pilot skill he landed the plane. Upon leaving the Stinger, the crew saw about one-third of the right wing (a 14-foot section and aileron) had been torn off. The Air Force Chief of Staff later presented Captain Milacek and crew with the 1970 Mackay Trophy "for the most meritorious flight of the year."

 

Another snippet:"

 

Unknown to those authors was a mission this web site author flew on February 28, 1971, where a Stinger gunship was pitted against North Vietnamese tanks as the Stingers shouldered heavy support comitments growing out of the South Vietnamese offensive into Laos (Lam Son 719). The Stinger destroyed eight Russian PT-76 tanks on one mission. For more on the 8-tank mission visit the stories and sorties page. The AC-119Ks compiled their superb interdiction record despite bad weather early in the hunting season and diversions for emergency support of lima Sites and troops in contact with the enemy. Late in the war, some of the K models eliminated all the 7.62 armament in favor of increased ammo supply for the 20mm."

 

 

http://www.ac-119gunships.com/the119s/ac119k/gunshipk.htm

Edited by XRobinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L0cation   

WOW you must really like that gunship man ! No wonder you chose to create it even before the creation of flight mechanics .... And that vietnam mod man ... Dude you made my day ! Old school M16's are the best , and combine that with dense jungle maps .... Dude it's like a dream ! I thank you all for putting your time and effort for creating these mods for us man ... By the way , could you please maybe get your friends on the mod bring us some sneakpeaks? 

4 hours ago, XRobinson said:

Yes, so happens there is a Vietnam mod discord and Im on it.  Its not got a full team yet, and not official, but people are there working on maps and assets, guns, and are here in these threads.  The Boxcar civilian version is still in use, these military version conversions planes may still be in use in Asian countries, as I read somewhere online.  Check this story out and website: quote from page:

The night of May 8, 1970 witnessed an extraordinary display of airmanship when a Stinger crew Stinger 21 operating over Ban Ban, Laos, brought back a gunship despite extensive anti-aircraft artillery (triple-A) damage. Captain Alan D. Milacek and his nine-man crew had been reconnoitering a heavily defended road section near Ban Ban, laos, when they discovered, attacked and destroyed two trucks. Captain James A. Russell and Captain Ronald C. Jones, the sensor operators, located three more trucks. As the aircraft banked into attack orbit, six enemy positions opened up with a barrage of triple-A fire. The copilot, Captain. Brent C. O'Brien, cleared the fighter escort for attack and the gunship circled as the F-4's worked to suppress the triple-A fire. Amid the heavy enemy fire Captain Milacek resumed the attack and killed another truck. At 0100, just about 2 hours into the mission, "the whole cargo compartment lit up" as enemy rounds tore into the Stingers right wing. A "sickening right dive of the aircraft" ensued and Milacek called "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, we're going in." He shouted orders to SSgt Adolpho Lopez, Jr., the IO (Illumnator Operator), to jettison the flare launcher. Captain milacek directed the entire crew to get ready for instant bailout. As the gunship dropped about 1,000 feet within a few seconds, Captains milacek and O'Brien pooled their strength to pull the aircraft out of its dive. By using full-left rudder, full-left aileron, and maximum power on the two right engines, they regained stabalized flight. The full-engine power fueled 2 to 3 foot flames-torchlights for enemy gunners as the crippled Stinger desperately headed for friendly territory. The navigator, Captain Roger E. Clancy, gave the correct heading but warned they were too low to clear a range of mountains towering between them and safety. What's more, the crew discovered that the fule consumption would likely mean dry tanks before reaching base.
The crew tossed out every possible item to lighten the load and the aircraft slowely climbed to 10,000 feet. TSgt Albert A. Nash, the flight engineer, reported the fuel-consumption rate had fallen. Capt. Milacek elected to land the damaged plane and when he approached the base area he ran a careful check of the controls. He found that almost full-left rudder and aileron would allow him to keep control. With uncertain flap damage, Milacek chose a no-flap landing approach at 150 knots (normally 117 knots). Utilizing every bit of pilot skill he landed the plane. Upon leaving the Stinger, the crew saw about one-third of the right wing (a 14-foot section and aileron) had been torn off. The Air Force Chief of Staff later presented Captain Milacek and crew with the 1970 Mackay Trophy "for the most meritorious flight of the year."

 

Another snippet:"

 

Unknown to those authors was a mission this web site author flew on February 28, 1971, where a Stinger gunship was pitted against North Vietnamese tanks as the Stingers shouldered heavy support comitments growing out of the South Vietnamese offensive into Laos (Lam Son 719). The Stinger destroyed eight Russian PT-76 tanks on one mission. For more on the 8-tank mission visit the stories and sorties page. The AC-119Ks compiled their superb interdiction record despite bad weather early in the hunting season and diversions for emergency support of lima Sites and troops in contact with the enemy. Late in the war, some of the K models eliminated all the 7.62 armament in favor of increased ammo supply for the 20mm."

 

 

http://www.ac-119gunships.com/the119s/ac119k/gunshipk.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×