Zeno965

Mapping: Quick Questions Thread

Post any questions you might have regarding Level design that does not require its own seperate thread.

Hey guys, I'm new to modding, so i have a kinda stupid question, though i couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Sooo.. how do you place buildings on the map in the squad sdk?

16 hours ago, timmy said:

Hey guys, I'm new to modding, so i have a kinda stupid question, though i couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Sooo.. how do you place buildings on the map in the squad sdk?

hey there,

find any object (anything really) in the 'squad content', in the 'main contents'.

drag anything you want into the map viewport and drop it - then you can play with it's position using the mouse and the tools near the top right of the viewport window.

- generally speaking: static mesh (SM) for static object, blueprint (BP) for non-static's

;)

7 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

find any object (anything really) in the 'squad content', in the 'main contents'.

Thank you so much! Now it seems obvious..

Posted (edited)

Hello, I'm pretty new to the mapping scene and I'm curently working on my first project. I was wondering a few things I couldn't find the answer to (or didn't know how to google properly). I have tried to extract as much information as i possilby can from Axton's and Warmaster's tutorials.

1. How do you usually go on creating the landscape outside the map bounds/ playable map area? I currently have a terrain from worldmachine which I edited further in the SDK. Usually in Squad this these landscape backdrops consists of mountains, forests etc. Since I have edited and sculpted the worldmachine terrain in the SDK after importing it I can't just go back into worldmachin and grab a "larger area" to compensate for the landscape around the map...  

2. While placing static meshes I noticed it's possible in the details tab to just reassign materials in to different already existing materials to get it to suit the look of your map. For example i am using typical concrete houses from the middle east, changeing the concrete to brick to make it fit in an European setting. It this a good way to do it, or will it create problems later on? In other words will these reassignments I'm doing actually carry out when exporting the map?

EDIT: 2: Okay so, the problem is that the LOD uses a baked texture. Is there a way to easily edit this texture or generate a new one? 

Edited by Dalf