Paco

Bots for Training - WIP

I've been working on some bots to train against - here's some of my early progress. They only work in a local server, and don't shoot back (yet!).

How did you eventually get the bots to sprint? I actually downloaded the SDK just to see if I could assist you with that one, but it did seem rather impractical to do directly...

I ended up just setting the MaxWalkSpeed directly - 300 for walk 600 for sprint. Not ideal (don't think it uses stamina), but it works. I can do sprint, lean, crouch, prone now - and attach weapons (thanks to wasti for that one!). 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Paco said:

I ended up just setting the MaxWalkSpeed directly - 300 for walk 600 for sprint. 

Oh interesting so the animation change is triggered automatically by the speed that the avatar is running? That's really interesting. I think I understand how that works now... IsRunning is a dynamically returned based on currentSpeed > maxWalkingSpeed, and then the animation uses that boolean to switch to the sprinting animation... I guess?

Edited by Psyrus

55 minutes ago, Paco said:

I ended up just setting the MaxWalkSpeed directly - 300 for walk 600 for sprint. Not ideal (don't think it uses stamina), but it works. I can do sprint, lean, crouch, prone now - and attach weapons (thanks to wasti for that one!). 

Please once you finish can you post a short video tutorial on what you've accomplished here so far?

Just now, Zylfrax791 said:

Please once you finish can you post a short video tutorial on what you've accomplished here so far?

I plan to - probably just a few screenshots of the blueprint setup - and probably on the wiki to kickstart some blueprint modding content :)

Looking good so far. Could be possible to get some vehicle bots ? hitting vehicles on some distance is very challenging especialy if they are moving.

This is great and as a starting point exactly what I had hoped for re AI training in Squad.

Following the existing target shoot training in Jensen's, with timer idea it would be good to see these scenarios very specific, very controlled, timed and or scored. Repeatability is key with this sort of thing IMO this way clans, groups and individuals can get a reasonable benchmark of where they started and where they got to.

It is also useful for motivation.

2 hours ago, Phoenixstorm said:

Looking good so far. Could be possible to get some vehicle bots ? hitting vehicles on some distance is very challenging especialy if they are moving.

I don't see why not.

My plan is to release the base system so that people can use it to assemble their own training scenarios to share.

Can't wait to see how you progress with this, really good start here. 

Great stuff, it'd be such a help to have bots and moving vehicles on Jensens for training