Sign in to follow this  
Zylfrax791

AdminChangeMap

I'm noticing admins on servers more and more are ending games prematurely and they always seem to be on the winning team. When questioned why in all chat at the start of the next game the canned response I'm getting is "Mercy Rule Brah"...

So I'm guessing this is totally appropriate and acceptable behavior because its their server right? 

Odin   

@Zylfrax791 Currently, yes. It would be the prerogative of the server owners/admins to run in this manner as it is their server. If that is something you do not approve of, I would support other servers that don't have this ruleset. Or even perhaps talk to the server owners/admins and discuss it with them. Most of them can be quite receptive when approached with suggestions.  

I should also add, that servers running with this rule, should display it in their rules listed on the JoinSquad forums or even in their server messages so all players are aware of this.

Odin   
3 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

With two flags still fully in our possession and 233 tickets it certainly doesn't seem as though we needed "mercy" though... lol...

Sounds like something you should take up with them then.

2 hours ago, Odin said:

Why bother when almost every cool new feature you guys work hard to add to Squad gets nerfed by overzealous admins? From making up new rules on the fly to cycling maps when their team is losing but still ahead on tickets how is the average player supposed to find honest, consistent and fair gameplay? 

And what with layers of supplemental rules at some point most of these servers belong in the Custom Servers browser in my opinion. There are only two North American servers left that utilize vanilla Squad rules at this point.

SHO-SHIN   

I can recall maybe 3 times when the game was ended early due to one side dominating, in over 1000 hours playtime!

Most of these hours have been on Exodus, Squad Germany, ZXD server (when we had it running) and RIP.

So I think the issue is more server dependant than widespread.

Personally I dislike the rule/option, play the round and if your getting hammered, get hammered less and learn. But I did find my happy place 9when nothing is going right team wise), i just practice pvp, mess with my settings or try some new stuff or rage quit for a few mins..................very effective.

8 minutes ago, Kreamy said:

@Zylfrax791

I am an admin for Thunderdome! And we "Mercy Rule" when one team has all the flags. We do this because the longer the match goes on, the more people that disconnect.

You must not have read what I posted. I wasn't referencing the game status you're talking about at all. I'm talking about admins cycling the map way prematurely. I've never seen it occur on your server though.

Peerun   
4 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

You must not have read what I posted. I wasn't referencing the game status you're talking about at all. I'm talking about admins cycling the map way prematurely. I've never seen it occur on your server though.

I've never seen it happen, period.

While I've never had this happen to me in Squad, I obviously cannot say whether it's common for other players or not. I mainly play on the QFF servers (there's 2 of them), and they almost always have an admin online (whether actually in-game or in Discord ready to jump on to support) and none of them would ever do this...I've never even seen them do this win 1 team is steamrolling.

The only time I've seen a premature map change was when the new map was a large map built for like 60-70+ players, and there was only like 20 people on. They change the map to something smaller at the very beginning in order to not kill the server.

Like other have said, I would speak either directly to the owners/admins of that server or possibly just play on a different server. Come to QFF if you wish, always welcome! 

Skul   
On 8/19/2017 at 7:08 AM, Odin said:

On 8/19/2017 at 9:13 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

Why bother when almost every cool new feature you guys work hard to add to Squad gets nerfed by overzealous admins?

Because it is usually not head admins who do that. Head admins are usually creators, not destroyers. What you describe(changing maps suddenly in the middle of the round) here makes people leave the server, because most of the people leave server during map change, obviously.

And when admins end maps suddenly at the middle of the round, it makes more people to leave, because people join servers to play the game, not to look at loading and death screens.

So if you talk to head admins and explain why this kind of behavior from other admins is bad for server, he can make them stop up to taking away their admin rights.