Sign in to follow this  
Zylfrax791

Terrain Party

This has been mentioned on Discord but here is the link:

https://terrain.party/

Tested it out numerous times and the heightmaps are fully functional and don't crash UE or anything bad. Just drag the box centered where you want, adjust the size according to whats available, hit export and download the zip file. Its really that easy.

5 hours ago, LugNut said:

That's cool

Upon further examination not so cool actually. Well, semi not so cool. Upon further examination the scale of the terrains are way off for Squad. And actually its wrong on two different levels. First of all, the heightmap completely exaggerates elevation much taller than in real life. Secondly the map itself is much too small. For example, I created a 8km square section in the mountains I grew up in. When I imported it into Fools Road which is around 5km square the terrain only took up about 1km square. So basically you can still get some really sick ass terrains its just that you can't really replicate a specific area to any degree of accuracy. I thought about simply enlarging the image but unsure how that might work out.

Axton   
2 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Upon further examination not so cool actually. Well, semi not so cool. Upon further examination the scale of the terrains are way off for Squad. And actually its wrong on two different levels. First of all, the heightmap completely exaggerates elevation much taller than in real life. Secondly the map itself is much too small. For example, I created a 8km square section in the mountains I grew up in. When I imported it into Fools Road which is around 5km square the terrain only took up about 1km square. So basically you can still get some really sick ass terrains its just that you can't really replicate a specific area to any degree of accuracy. I thought about simply enlarging the image but unsure how that might work out.

This is because you need to run it through world machine or a similar program to get a good file out of it, which is true for most any heightmap downloader. The scale is fine, but it only exports at a 1k resolution, which means that to get something playable you need to take it into world machine, scale it up to the right resolution, then add some noise and erosion to get back some of the detail that isn't there.

Real world heightmaps are great for getting the overall shape of the terrain to match IRL. Unless you're sampling from Scandinavia or some parts of the US, they won't be high enough resolution to get you perfect terrain.

2 hours ago, Axton said:

This is because you need to run it through world machine or a similar program to get a good file out of it, which is true for most any heightmap downloader. The scale is fine, but it only exports at a 1k resolution, which means that to get something playable you need to take it into world machine, scale it up to the right resolution, then add some noise and erosion to get back some of the detail that isn't there.

Real world heightmaps are great for getting the overall shape of the terrain to match IRL. Unless you're sampling from Scandinavia or some parts of the US, they won't be high enough resolution to get you perfect terrain.

Actually I figured out a solution that made it close enough scale to be playable in Squad. Actually its good that its a big reduced in scale. Once its imported I click the resize tool, hold shift down and make it about twice as big and all then all the extremo elevation drops down and the terrain flattens out and increases in size. I'm already working on my first actual North Korea map the Sohae Missile Launch Pad. This is a real game changer for me because now I can make my entire North Korean campaign consisting of Sohae Missile Launch Pad, Bukchang Concentration Camp, Chonhung-Ri Military Airfield, Yodok Military Base, Maengson Military Airfield and Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Center using Terrain Party.

2EF770186C9B5D14F396B306DC3D3DF75F62FB29

8B7C8499B50F4F6CC20168D25AABC8E668C74703

LugNut   

I imported the jpeg into a CAD program and then used it to create a relief, and since I could specify the offset, I could create an accurate representation. The nice thing about it is that it uses higher res photos than other free options I've seen out there for better final resolution. 

Sign in to follow this