CR1T1CALIRL

gpu/cpu utilization questions

GTX 980, amdfx 6300 4ghz, 100 gig SSD with only squad on it, 8 gigs 1600 mhz 

I'm having an issue regarding utilization and usage of my cpu and gpu...

so to start, if i go into fire range, change map to, really any of the maps... and spawn in, my gpu and vram usage is around 70-80%, cpu 50-60%, and 120 FPS on low settings.... and thats with nothing but the map and what not loaded in.

when i join a multiplayer game, my gpu and vram usage from the point of joining the game, to the point of actually spawning in, is high, and fps is good.... but as soon as i spawn in, gpu and vram usage DECREASES and fps drops in the toilet.... My question is, shouldn't it be the opposite? Why is the game using less gpu/vram/cpu when actually playing, versus when in the spawn menu.... Shouldn't it be using more?  and just to ad, while in multiplayer gpu/vram usage is around 10-15% sometimes lower.... but its using also nearly 7.1 gigs of RAM... and my fps tanks....

and even sometimes i can spawn in, and gpu/vram/cpu usage while be high and i will have great fps, only to go drop back down along with my FPS 10 minutes into the game....

is this hardware related? engine related? Settings? lack of optimization related(being alpha is expected)? 

Psyrus   
1 hour ago, CR1T1CALIRL said:

is this hardware related? engine related? Settings? lack of optimization related(being alpha is expected)? 

A little bit of all, really, but it comes in this order:

• The game is in Alpha as you mentioned, so new features take priority over optimization. That means that taking the time to optimize before putting the features in or until a feature is deemed "complete", it won't receive much optimization love. A decent read about the topic can be found [here].
  • The engine is also not finalized in and of itself so anywhere that has inefficiencies in the base engine either has to be fixed by the squad devs (not a fun thing to do... optimizing other peoples' code) or have systems built around it (like the new animation and netcode systems just for squad)
  • Your hardware consists of a CPU that cannot brute force itself through the current optimization problems. The reason you see your GPU usage drop as you get into high player-density areas is that your CPU is being overloaded on a single thread, which first has to process before it can send commands to your GPU, so the GPU ends up waiting (twiddling its thumbs) while waiting for your CPU to finish processing stuff for the frame... therefore it's relative usage drops.
    • That's why you see much higher FPS in empty servers or before you spawn in, because all the other player movements and interactions do not have to be processed by your CPU at that point, and therefore your GPU gets a steady stream of "Render!" commands, and can have higher usage.
    • That is also why dropping your settings will have very little effect on your FPS, because the settings generally tax the GPU more, but the GPU isn't having any issue with those settings, it's just spending too much of its time "waiting" for the CPU.

Hopefully that answers your questions. 

2 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

A little bit of all, really, but it comes in this order:

• The game is in Alpha as you mentioned, so new features take priority over optimization. That means that taking the time to optimize before putting the features in or until a feature is deemed "complete", it won't receive much optimization love. A decent read about the topic can be found [here].
  • The engine is also not finalized in and of itself so anywhere that has inefficiencies in the base engine either has to be fixed by the squad devs (not a fun thing to do... optimizing other peoples' code) or have systems built around it (like the new animation and netcode systems just for squad)
  • Your hardware consists of a CPU that cannot brute force itself through the current optimization problems. The reason you see your GPU usage drop as you get into high player-density areas is that your CPU is being overloaded on a single thread, which first has to process before it can send commands to your GPU, so the GPU ends up waiting (twiddling its thumbs) while waiting for your CPU to finish processing stuff for the frame... therefore it's relative usage drops.
    • That's why you see much higher FPS in empty servers or before you spawn in, because all the other player movements and interactions do not have to be processed by your CPU at that point, and therefore your GPU gets a steady stream of "Render!" commands, and can have higher usage.
    • That is also why dropping your settings will have very little effect on your FPS, because the settings generally tax the GPU more, but the GPU isn't having any issue with those settings, it's just spending too much of its time "waiting" for the CPU.

Hopefully that answers your questions. 

is it a safe assumption my current specs will run the game at a steady 60 fps once optimizations happen or atleast, a reasonable playable 45? or will my cpu have this issue regardless?

thanks for the response

Psyrus   
15 minutes ago, CR1T1CALIRL said:

is it a safe assumption my current specs will run the game at a steady 60 fps once optimizations happen or atleast, a reasonable playable 45?

It's not safe to assume anything in software development, really... except assuming that there will be unforeseen problems. The best that we as players can expect is that there will be more optimization passes in the future. That does not guarantee anything, and given that your CPU was mid range for single-core performance to begin with (5 years ago when it was released), it may be an unfortunate reality that squad will never be playable on your rig at a consistent >30fps. 

We can't know, so your two options are:

• Wait till the game is officially released (perhaps sometime around mid to late 2018?) and if your performance still isn't acceptable, upgrade or stop playing.
  • Upgrade in the near future to continue playing the alpha/beta versions of squad. 

I took the second option and it changed the experience so much for me. You can see more in my post [here]. I actually feel like playing squad again, after having to take many breaks (weeks at a time) due to how frustrating playing at all-low and ~30fps was. 

Edited by Psyrus

1 minute ago, Psyrus said:

It's not safe to assume anything in software development, really... except assuming that there will be unforeseen problems. The best that we as players can expect is that there will be more optimization passes in the future. That does not guarantee anything, and given that your CPU was mid range for single-core performance to begin with, it may be an unfortunate reality that squad will never be playable on your rig at a consistent >30fps. 

We can't know, so your two options are:

• Wait till the game is officially released (perhaps sometime around mid to late 2018?) and if your performance still isn't acceptable, upgrade or stop playing.
  • Upgrade in the near future to continue playing the alpha/beta versions of squad. 

I took the second option and it changed the experience so much for me. You can see more in my post [here]. I actually feel like playing squad again, after having to take many breaks (weeks at a time) due to how frustrating playing at all-low and ~30fps was. 

what would you suggest as an upgrade? obviously intel is out of the question, because i would have to get a new mobo as well... what am3+ cpu would you suggest?

Psyrus   

what would you suggest as an upgrade? obviously intel is out of the question, because i would have to get a new mobo as well... what am3+ cpu would you suggest?

No idea, I'm not familiar with the AMD series anymore except Ryzen which was actually exciting for me. 

I suggest rather than wasting money on an interim solution (another AM3+ cpu that will most likely suffer the same issues), create a savings fund for an upgrade to a Ryzen based or budget intel based upgrade in the early parts of 2018 :) Second hand stuff also works to keep costs down!

Edited by Psyrus

paha. I hope it's not the case that i have to upgrade to the newest AMD technology to get decent frames.... That's a bit absurd.... it'd be a shame if the entire AMD CPU users had to miss out on this beautiful gem that is squad....

(or have to experience it in less than desirable manner)

Edited by CR1T1CALIRL

Psyrus   

I hope it's not the case that i have to upgrade to the newest AMD technology to get decent frames

Well given the trend from the closed pre-alpha to v9.6, there were definitely big performance improvements for me on my ancient i7 920 @ 3.6ghz, it was almost unplayable before the big optimization patch (v8?) after which it went to a consistent 30ish fps, sometimes jumping up into the 40s on smaller maps. That was at least playable. There is a decent chance that if you wait until the final version, you might be able to play at decent fps on that cpu.... I just personally wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.