Sign in to follow this  
DesertTigerTR

Some Suggestion to Improve Insurgent Gameplay

Hi, I have played PR from 2009. In present situation there are some things that ruin insurgent gameplay for me. I will adress them and few more ideas.

1. In PR's insurgent maps there are free kits to be taken. Since still there is no kit pickup in this game it can not be implemented right now. These free kits give players freedom and add some unorganization and lonewolfing to the maps which is for me its a good thing and suits for insurgent gameplay. I remember many times I grab SVD or arty ied and ambush enemy.

2. In PR's insurgent maps there are many civilian vehicle and motorbikes mostly we can not run out of vehicle but in Squad there are no civilian vehicles and limited motorbikes(8). This really limit the speed of the insurgents.

3. In PR logistic trucks can drop crates and logistic technicals can drop ammo boxes. It is mentioned in future there will be ammo bags. Like them ammo box drops is a need to set up ambush because everytime you place a mine you need to go back to some hideout(FOB) or base to replenish. Also same for ied. When you found a good position this thing force you to leave it(and probably you can not return there or die while returning) if you need to place another mine or ied(after placed one is destroyed or need to be relocated).

4. In PR ieds do not have any delay to explode. Still I disagree with it but its a nice thing to add some realism to the game. The problem is the delay is too much for a game. Vehicle usage is still low in the game and visual of ied area is limited due to mostly there are walls, small hills or any other obstacles between player spot. So when you see the vehicle mostly it is too late.

5. Also off-road ability of the vehicles are too great. If vehicles are not forced to use roads in most cases the effectiveness of the ieds will improve.

6. Sometimes ieds goes inside the ground when you dig and conceal them but sometimes they are stay above the ground. Also there need to be some dirt, stone, tires etc. on the roads(mostly on dirt roads) to conceal ieds more.

7. Inventory slot switch has a problem. When you switch to a slot or start to reload a gun or place something you can not stop it from happen by switching to other slot. Numbers to switch to another slow are blocked while the animation playing but if you use your mouse wheel and click to switch, it works(at least works for items in same line).

8. There is plan to add more free time to planning phase of the game in future. For Insurgents maps, insurgent side can be let to lay mine, ieds and set up defensive positions before let the blufor side move in. Because the battlefield is their hometown and they can do all of these before an attack start to there.

9. In insurgent maps, insurgent side can have few randomly positioned hideout to spawn(like caches) for a limited time or unlimited time(till it destroyed by blufor). As I mentioned above at 8 this is their hometown and they can set up defensive positions and network to move from position to position fastly.

10. And some belt fed mg like pkm and small ieds

11. I have said that the post is about insurgent gameplay but I am wondering will be there any kit pickup in future? It was not listed in fixed steam post that lists the suggestions.

Thanks for reading all of this.

I would like to see PKM for insurgent and militia, Russia the more modern PKM and U.S with the M240.

Unlocking the 7.62mg like the heavy anti tank when you get a full squad.

Insurgents also need some vests, belts and backpacks visuals

1) free kits .. no .. its called squad.. lone wolfing can already happen .. all you will end up with is 10 guys trying to take a sniper kit or IED kit 

2) the reason for the vehicle limitation is related to the fact that its based on a ticket attrition.. driving off in vehicles with ied's (which is not punished enough in terms of ticket loss) will only increase this if you add many more vehicles BUT I do believe there will be more coming (with choppers and tanks they will need AA and more AT vehicles).

3) hate the idea of an ammo back that gives unlimited ammo .. going back to replenish an ammo bag I would not be against but it would have to be at the expense of being able to carry other things.

4)IEDs are OP as it is all you will get is 5 squads with 5 scouts planting 5 ieds on the road by rushing on bikes..... should be limited supply of them on a map 

5) see 4.

6)agreed... there are already stones to cover them I think (not sure if you can do that to mark them but its there)

7)they are fixing animations in v10 hopefully this will sort out some of the super long delays in switching between elements

8)agreed, if its invasion or insurgency then there should be a 'setup phase' but this would require a ticket increase on the attacking side.

9)no need .. setup fobs.. or rallies..

10)there is already they get emplacements... 

11) better sandals.

3 hours ago, embecmom said:

1) free kits .. no .. its called squad.. lone wolfing can already happen .. all you will end up with is 10 guys trying to take a sniper kit or IED kit 

2) the reason for the vehicle limitation is related to the fact that its based on a ticket attrition.. driving off in vehicles with ied's (which is not punished enough in terms of ticket loss) will only increase this if you add many more vehicles BUT I do believe there will be more coming (with choppers and tanks they will need AA and more AT vehicles).

3) hate the idea of an ammo back that gives unlimited ammo .. going back to replenish an ammo bag I would not be against but it would have to be at the expense of being able to carry other things.

4)IEDs are OP as it is all you will get is 5 squads with 5 scouts planting 5 ieds on the road by rushing on bikes..... should be limited supply of them on a map 

5) see 4.

6)agreed... there are already stones to cover them I think (not sure if you can do that to mark them but its there)

7)they are fixing animations in v10 hopefully this will sort out some of the super long delays in switching between elements

8)agreed, if its invasion or insurgency then there should be a 'setup phase' but this would require a ticket increase on the attacking side.

9)no need .. setup fobs.. or rallies..

10)there is already they get emplacements... 

11) better sandals.

Did you ever had a chance to play Project Reality? If so the half of the things I am offering here presented in there. Squad is created based on PR by PR modders.

For 1 again you need to visit PR to see its reflect. A game's name does not create the entire content. If you want reality, in reality insurgents(Not conventional forces) are very disorganized only small part of it well organized. This is the nature of unconventional warfare.

For 2 in PR we had vehicles dedicated as bomb cars so we can not place IED on normal vehicles. When this is implemented everything will find their way. Insurgent side really need many civilian vehicles.

For 3 I do not mention about unlimited ammo like BF, in PR riflemen class have 1 ammo bag with them to supply few round mags, nades or rpgs.

For 4 main static defensive mechanism of insurgents are IEDs. But with that much delay and current resupply methods it becomes useless.

For 10 I meant the MG kit in PR. Belt fed multi purpose mg is not emplacement with DShK which is 12.7mm heavy mg.

For 11 ???

its all subjective ..never played PR but have been in squad since the beginning so understand the history.. 

as a personal preference I am not for more car bombs or IEDS etc.. I can appreciate that insurgents would use them but in terms of gameplay right now there is very little cost to using the cars as weapons / suicide bombing ... its a very op weapon so should only be available once per squad per round.  Given the readily available respawn of vehicles / motorbikes spamming suicide vehicles does not impact the ticket count enough right now vs its capabilities.

Again appreciate they are disorganized, but there is nothing stopping what you are looking for right now, they take what kits are available.

ok understood re ammo, have seen others looking for this with unlimited ... I think it should be supplyable back at fob out of the ammo crate ..

I don't agree ... you dial a phone it doesn't connect right away.. so delay for me is good... perhaps add tripwires and booby traps.. those are more of the main defense tools.. 

20 ok .. yup more powerful belt fed mg would be nice.

11 insurgents need better sandals.. hate their dirty toes.

4 hours ago, embecmom said:

its all subjective ..never played PR but have been in squad since the beginning so understand the history.. 

as a personal preference I am not for more car bombs or IEDS etc.. I can appreciate that insurgents would use them but in terms of gameplay right now there is very little cost to using the cars as weapons / suicide bombing ... its a very op weapon so should only be available once per squad per round.  Given the readily available respawn of vehicles / motorbikes spamming suicide vehicles does not impact the ticket count enough right now vs its capabilities.

Again appreciate they are disorganized, but there is nothing stopping what you are looking for right now, they take what kits are available.

ok understood re ammo, have seen others looking for this with unlimited ... I think it should be supplyable back at fob out of the ammo crate ..

I don't agree ... you dial a phone it doesn't connect right away.. so delay for me is good... perhaps add tripwires and booby traps.. those are more of the main defense tools.. 

20 ok .. yup more powerful belt fed mg would be nice.

11 insurgents need better sandals.. hate their dirty toes.

In my response I have mentioned about seperate bomb cars. So if they implement them and not let the IED to be placed on other civilian vehicles that would be nice. In PR if you try to put IED on vehicle it will directly placed to ground instead of vehicle.

I dont want them to remove delay but decrease it. Because of the mentioned things in my main post, usage and resupplying issiues, make it ineffective against fast vehicles or in closely spaced areas because there will be not enough time to react.

As I sadly observing that no one have interest in insurgent suggestion like in PR. Thats why insurgency mode not played anymore in Squad only AAS. There were even servers dedicated to insurgency mode back in PR but focus on AAS killed it in Squad.

Yeah insurgency in PR has this different feel to it. At least in my experience it had more ambushes, fast hit and run and not many bunkered caches with static defense gameplay. I will never forget the days of molotov cocktails and Korengal Valley.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Rook said:

Yeah insurgency in PR has this different feel to it. At least in my experience it had more ambushes, fast hit and run and not many bunkered caches with static defense gameplay. I will never forget the days of molotov cocktails and Korengal Valley.

Good old times :) . I hope they will implement molotiv here. It was removed due to some bug in PR :( . I also hope they will add old maps like Korengal and Fallujah.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I have played on Al Basrah. Humvee survived the explosion at most 0.5m away from it, letting soldiers inside to run away before destruction. At least destruction with closer explosions will make it more destructive.

Also the thing that not letting placement of mines and IED under a vehicle resulting in some weird things. If the animation starts and you moved your cursor and look at where the indicator red you end up with bare hands, the item you are placing is not placed and need to reswitch it to start placing again.

Also switching directly to cellphone after placing IED will be usefull because as I mentioned in my main post changing between items is a pain and waste time when you have to act quick.

Like I mentioned in my main post the huge delay also make player to stick close to their IED area to predict detonation time even in open areas sometimes.

Smal IEDs can be usefull against inf like in PR if added.

Edited by DesertTigerTR