Sign in to follow this  
Graphic

Head, neck, heart, lung kills should be instant death (i.e. non-revivable)

Graphic   

Some other games have incorporated mechanics like this and I think it's a nice compromise between realism and keeping a game flowing forward.

Aleon   

Not allowing instant kills by small arms is a deliberate decision that is unlikely to change.

In short, medics being able to revive people is one of the core cohesion mechanics that give players an edge if they work together. Being around your squad mates (and consequently your medics) should be rewarded, for example by downed mates being revived after a won fire fight, even if this is not entirely realistic. If you allow small arms fire to kill people outright in the name of realism, gameplay suffers. Medics lose their importance, and you end up with one less thing pushing squad members towards teamwork.

Edited by Aleon

only one of those are a >90% chance of instant incapacitation.

the other two generally leave a guy mortally wounded but still able to fight until he dies.

add in body armor, and you request becomes hard to rationalize.

Edited by Randall172

40mmrain   

Us and russians possess body armour that can stop any kind of rifle round an insurgent or miltia could shoot at them. Their helmets are even capable of and can stop rifle rounds at range or if their angle is sufficiently bad for penetration. There are also accounts of soldiers being hit with smaller rifle calibres (5.56, 5.45) in the neck and surviving.

Your suggestion makes no sense from a realism perspective, and as others have stated a design perspective.

Head and Neck shots should kill outright, regardless of in-game caliber or weapon.

The nitty-gritty of body armour and it's quirks and faults, In Real Life, is pointless in the context of this game.

If this game could deal with the complexity and resolution required to accuratelly track and detail hits to the millimeter, then y'all could have those Realistic features you so desperately defend, but it can't, so we have to do with, Hit = Head, Hit = neck, Hit = lower leg, Hit = lower torso, etc. - Head, Neck and lower leg take damage but Lower toso does not coz armour - simple and easy.

40mm: Those hits you cite would be extremely lucky, once in a blue moon events i should think and most likely glancing at best (read recently the aussie journo who had a bullet in his neack all day untill they realised - extreme luck and not likely to happen twice).

So basically your saying that a headshot (face shot) killing you is not realistic(realism)?!

My kid and I did some testing recently in the current patch and a point blank burst from either an M4 or AK in the face will completely kill you every time.

What I would like to see is something like ArmA 3 ACE, where players get knocked down, loss of movement in the damaged body part or die instantly depending on where they got hit, how hard and what by.
 The medics then have to determine what is wrong with the player, then apply the correct method using epi-pens, morphine and saline bags etc.

It would be cool if someone was bleeding out calling medic, only for the medic to come over and tell him that he has a large laceration to his femoral artery and that he's going to bleed out and die.. :P

Pretty sure most of the system will change as new animations and improved medical systems are implemented down the road. I feel most people forget that most of the medical system in game hasn't changed since the early days of alpha if not pre-alpha. Patience is the greatest virtue. Plus the devs just took holiday not so long ago so all in due time will we see some major and positive gameplay changes to better finalize pacing and the like. 

mastah4   

Alpha 2 had instant head shot kills and it was not fun to play at all. Let alone adding neck, heart and lungs into the list.

embecmom   

I already get instant killed many times, more from high calibre weapons... in an ideal world Id like to see location damage impacting the ability to run/walk/fire and severity.  Now I have never been shot thankfully so I have no idea how this would impact my effectiveness but it does seem that you can take a few shots and keep going on adrenaline (in the real world) based on the location of those shots (those c u  next Tuesdays in spain for instance) .

atm I am either a) dead b) bleeding out and can run away and or fire back ..one of the most annoy aspects is knowing you hit a guy with several rounds and somehow they can just stand there and fire back as accurately as if nothing happened because it just goes a little blurry...  so if I hit the guy in the chest his breathing is impacted and rifle would be harder to control... in the leg yes he could shoot fine but would be a lot slower... in the arm would only allow him to fire either with one arm or not at all... head ..could be dead..might be incapacitated...

that's my ideal world anyway!