Sign in to follow this  
Duhop

GTX 760 frame issues - only experienced in squad

My system is having a lot of trouble running squad, but neither my CPUs or GPU average above 50% usage.

My game chugs along at 8-15 fps while the system uses less than half of it's full potential. I tried for hours to find a fix, but nothing I tried helped, after multiple restarts and even installing the game on a different HDD. I eventually gave up and started planning to upgrade my GPU, however I found youtube videos of players with GTX 760s running the game at ~40 fps.

My system is a bit unique, being a dual xeon build, but no other games seem to have any issues, including bf4, PUBG, and other well-optimized AAA games. Disabling one of the CPUs made zero difference in performance. Specs below:

Dual Quad Core Xeon E5430 CPUs at 2.66 Ghz for 8 cores total

MSI Twin Frozr GTX 760

16 gb DDR2 registered server ram at 667Mhz

750 watt corsair psu

Edited by Duhop

At the moment, and I think in the future to, cpu is much more important than a good gpu.

IPC is what counts. Seems you're cpu is not a bad one but a bit outdated.

Use the search function to learn more about.

Maybe oc will help a bit,but don't except to much.

Edited by Jaghammer

7 minutes ago, Jaghammer said:

At the moment, and I think in the future to, cpu is much more important than a good gpu.

IPC is what counts. Seems you're cpu is not a bad one but a bit outdated.

Use the search function to learn more about.

Maybe oc will help a bit,but don't except to much.

Unfortunately my mobo doesn't support overclocking. What do you mean by IPC?

18 minutes ago, Jaghammer said:

Ask google for "instructions per cycle"

got it, my cpu doesnt seem too bad, I feel like something more has to be causing fps this bad

2 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Not trying to be rude but Xeon E5430 and a GTX760? Isn't that like around a decade old gear?

Yes, I only paid around C$190 for the system, I was on  a tight budget. It works amazingly for most games, runs BF4 and pubg at 60+ fps and has no problems with 90% of games I throw at it. Squad just kills it though, which is why I think there is some sort of problem I can't find.

1 minute ago, Duhop said:

Yes, I only paid around C$190 for the system, I was on  a tight budget. It works amazingly for most games, runs BF4 and pubg at 60+ fps and has no problems with 90% of games I throw at it. Squad just kills it though, which is why I think there is some sort of problem I can't find.

My system is a bit antiquated (i7-4770, ddr3 32gb & GTX970) and it struggles so thats just how it is with Squad. Upgrade is your only solution.

5 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

My system is a bit antiquated (i7-4770, ddr3 32gb & GTX970) and it struggles so thats just how it is with Squad. Upgrade is your only solution.

other users with similar setups to mine can pull off over 30fps, which is all i want to achieve at this point. 

Your CPU is weak, you'll gain more FPS with higher Ghz.

At moment Squad is an unoptimized game, yes. It requires a strong CPU, this is well known info.

As far as i know, Squad only utilizes maybe 1 or 2 cores of your CPU, which is why even though your "CPU usage" is low, doesn't mean your core 1 isn't pushing 100%.

This is not a finished game, its in alpha and its made by a small developer, therefore its performance cannot be compared with AAA titles.

If you don't want to upgrade your rig then wait for better optimization updates. Even with the best CPU you will only get like 70-100fps.

On 6.8.2017 at 6:18 PM, Nordic said:

70-100 - don't go below 70.

I7 7700K 5.2 GHz
MSI 1080Ti Custom watercooled and overclocked
32 GB 3200 MHz Ram

Running on 3440x1440p screen with effects epic, foliage low, view distance high, shadows medium, everything off except eye adaption (Tournament settings).

Not that turning it on to max affects anything since I'm still CPU limited. My GPU dishes out around 120-140 FPS.

Edited by Shields

Squad in its current state releys heavyly on top edge performance on 1 core cause it can't split certain critical task and distribute the load evenly , that's why you need to oc even top notch intelchips like 6700k to get good fps. There is nothing you can do at the moment , even devs do a proper paralisation overhaul there is the chance only one of your Xeons are used cause not every software is NUMA aware .

Shadows in squad are CPU heavy so be sure to put them on low or medium , also try to play on 40-50 ppl servers .

Oldsneakers here in forums had a  4.8GHz OC ed Westmere hexacore and still fps worth a joke cause of squads need of rawr serial power. 

21 hours ago, Duhop said:

got it, my cpu doesnt seem too bad, I feel like something more has to be causing fps this bad

It's your cpu. I had unplayable fps with an rx 580 and similar cpu (mine was 6 core 2.6ghz 1035t). 

I overclocked my cpu to 3.6ghz and it made the game playable (30fps).

Then I got a new cpu (ryzen 7 1700) now the game runs like butter.

Core count doesn't matter, you want a newish cpu with high GHz, for high single core results. Intel crushes AMD when it comes to squad, so a cheaper intel would be a good option if you play squad alot.

I made a post on this hardware forum with my before and after results, you should check it out

Edited by Mr. Sandwich

I had an Fx8350 -760 2gb and I was lucky enough to even get 25 fps with everything on low & off. You're definitely going to have to upgrade to play this game @60+fps. Trust me I tried playing this game at 25 - 30 fps before I upgraded & it was terrible !

Edited by Devastation