Sign in to follow this  
Psyrus

Quoting limitations on posts

Psyrus   

An idea I'm stealing from a forum that I used to frequent years ago, but useful nonetheless. I often see people who will quote an entire opening post or manifesto-esque post and respond with a few words or a couple of sentences. It wastes screen space when reading as well as eats up database space as well. 

The system I propose is that either through Javascript (although that can be disabled so I am more for an additional server-side check as well) or server side checks, a person cannot quote more than 125% of what they have written outside of the quotes. So if I write 1000 characters, it cannot be in response to any more than 1250 characters of quoted material. 

After that system was placed on the other forum, it cut down so much on useless quoting, and the boards were a lot cleaner thanks to it. 

22 hours ago, Psyrus said:

I often see people who will quote an entire opening post or manifesto-esque post and respond with a few words or a couple of sentences

lazy buggers the lot of them

8 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

lazy buggers the lot of them

The funny thing is you wouldn't have been able to make that comment with the ratio that OP is suggesting.

Psyrus   
3 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

Is it not the Moderators job to police walls-of-text-with-short-replies?

It could be, but with hundreds of posts per day it just adds another layer of "crap" that they'd have to waste their time with. They're all volunteers as far as I know, and I just thought a programmatic solution would be far more sensible.