Sign in to follow this  
Clown_Tactical

FEEDBACK ON CURRENT BUILDING SYSTEM

I know the general idea of squad is to follow chain and command and orders. So we have the Squad leaders create build locations for sandbags, emplacements and so.

But the thing is, it limits the ability of players and isn't completely realistic and needs a overhaul for a better gameplay experience. For example, if there was the parts of a important weapon like a SPG recoiless rifle. And I knew the enemy had a APC coming my way. I probably would begin assembling the weapon just for my own protection regardless if my squad leader told me to or not. The current system doesn't allow players to do that.

The new feature of allowing individual rifleman to build sandbags is a step in the right direction. I think the system needs to be designed to allow individual rifleman to construct and fortify positions while allowing the Squad Leader to have the final decision. How this can be achieved will require one thing that should be added to the game and will make it feel more realistic. We should allow players to drag or carry created assets around and place them. The Squad Leader should be able to de-construct assets or lock them in place. That is a much better and more realistic system. Observers who are watching enemies creating a defensive position would see what real soldiers do to create them, they will see them assembling assets and moving them around. It's not realistic with the current system to see soldiers shoveling a object and it generates itself slowly statically.

There needs to be 2 stages of assets:

Unconstructed Phase - where the asset is not ready for use and is in a pile of pieces (For sandbags this would be empty bags on the ground) If it's something like a SPG recoiless rifle, perhaps several pieces must be put together, but the smaller pieces can be moved around quicker than if the entire SPG was made because individual smaller pieces wouldn't be as heavy.

Constructed Phase - Asset is completed and ready to use, can be dragged around or carried and placed. (This should slow soldiers who are moving the asset around in this phase as the asset would be heavier)

Rifleman should be able to create their own sandbags and drag them around. They should have several sandbags in their equipment. When they want to build a line of sandbags, they have to shovel and fill them up. Once the small line of bags are filled with sand, the player should be able to drag the sandbags to where he wants, and repeat the process if he wants more. If he needs more bags, he has to refill his inventory by getting more bags from the FOB.

Another reason why the current system isn't good, is the because cut off squads cannot build defenses for themselves. The idea of sandbags needing supplies to be created doesn't really make sense. All you need to do is fill the bags with sand and place them. As long as the soldiers have the bags on them and the ground has sand, they can build it right? It would be nice for a cut off squad to be able to fortify their position with sandbags and just wait for their squad to relieve them. This happens often during a bad fire-fight and half your squad is killed and then respawns elsewhere.

I was hoping the FOB building system would be more similar to ARMA's PR system which felt more realistic.

In my opinion things like sandbags, barb wire should just be equipment based items that can be placed individually by soldiers. It will allow the creation of the FOB to be more realistic, quicker and natural. In real life, I would not sit around waiting for my squad leader to tell me to create some sandbags if I knew the enemy was attacking soon. I would already be doing it, it's just a natural reaction to survival. Dev's please consider making the building system better, as I think it would improve the gameplay. The building system is what makes Squad unique compared to other FPS games and should be updated.

Edited by Clown_Tactical

17 minutes ago, Clown_Tactical said:

I know the general idea of squad is to follow chain and command and orders. So we have the Squad leaders create build locations for sandbags, emplacements and so.

But the thing is, it limits the ability of players and isn't completely realistic and needs a overhaul for a better gameplay experience. For example, if there was the parts of a important weapon like a SPG recoiless rifle. And I knew the enemy had a APC coming my way. I probably would begin assembling the weapon just for my own protection regardless if my squad leader told me to or not. The current system doesn't allow players to do that.

The new feature of allowing individual rifleman to build sandbags is a step in the right direction. I think the system needs to be designed to allow individual rifleman to construct and fortify positions while allowing the Squad Leader to have the final decision. How this can be achieved will require one thing that should be added to the game and will make it feel more realistic. We should allow players to drag or carry created assets around and place them. The Squad Leader should be able to de-construct assets or lock them in place. That is a much better and more realistic system. Observers who are watching enemies creating a defensive position would see what real soldiers do to create them, they will see them assembling assets and moving them around. It's not realistic with the current system to see soldiers shoveling a object and it generates itself slowly statically.

There needs to be 2 stages of assets:

Unconstructed Phase - where the asset is not ready for use and is in a pile of pieces (For sandbags this would be empty bags on the ground) If it's something like a SPG recoiless rifle, perhaps several pieces must be put together, but the smaller pieces can be moved around quicker than if the entire SPG was made because individual smaller pieces wouldn't be as heavy.

Constructed Phase - Asset is completed and ready to use, can be dragged around or carried and placed. (This should slow soldiers who are moving the asset around in this phase as the asset would be heavier)

Rifleman should be able to create their own sandbags and drag them around. They should have several sandbags in their equipment. When they want to build a line of sandbags, they have to shovel and fill them up. Once the small line of bags are filled with sand, the player should be able to drag the sandbags to where he wants, and repeat the process if he wants more. If he needs more bags, he has to refill his inventory by getting more bags from the FOB.

Another reason why the current system isn't good, is the because cut off squads cannot build defenses for themselves. The idea of sandbags needing supplies to be created doesn't really make sense. All you need to do is fill the bags with sand and place them. As long as the soldiers have the bags on them and the ground has sand, they can build it right? It would be nice for a cut off squad to be able to fortify their position with sandbags and just wait for their squad to relieve them. This happens often during a bad fire-fight and half your squad is killed and then respawns elsewhere.

I was hoping the FOB building system would be more similar to ARMA's PR system which felt more realistic.

In my opinion things like sandbags, barb wire should just be equipment based items that can be placed individually by soldiers. It will allow the creation of the FOB to be more realistic, quicker and natural. In real life, I would not sit around waiting for my squad leader to tell me to create some sandbags if I knew the enemy was attacking soon. I would already be doing it, it's just a natural reaction to survival. Dev's please consider making the building system better, as I think it would improve the gameplay. The building system is what makes Squad unique compared to other FPS games and should be updated.

Too much Minecrafting already. Let them focus on implemention of the animation update and then finish off the game with tanks & choppers.

tatzhit   

Oh, I can't wait to have 80 pub players building giant useless FOBs and misplacing assets! [/sacrasm]

Half the time, FOB building is a problem even now, with SL wasting tons of points and time on useless fortifications that fail to hinder the attackers substantially (especially now that they're destructible), building up FOBs away from contested objectives, or sitting at first flag enthusiastically mortaring some random area half a click away from nearest enemy. Yesterday, after looking at some FOBs, I seriously started to contemplate if there is some overlap between Squad community and Minecraft/city builder simulator fanbase. I can't even imagine how cancerous it would become if regular players were allowed to play with assets.

EDIT: I see Zylfax beat me to it :D

EDIT2:

"Rifleman should be able to create their own sandbags and drag them around. They should have several sandbags in their equipment. "

^This would lead to every bridge/chokepoint on every map being barricaded in short order, to stop enemy vehicles. Can't wait to be barricaded at Main by two bored riflemen.

Edited by tatzhit

embecmom   

this has already been discussed in other threads... IMO non SLs should have no ability to use the build points on a radio.. this will lead to salty cry fest and twats just building the wrong stuff.   What I think should be allowed is for the SL to authorise a build remotely, in a similar way as the current vehicle authorisation... but you click on the player and authorise for a specific emplacement etc.

tatzhit   
1 minute ago, embecmom said:

this has already been discussed in other threads... IMO non SLs should have no ability to use the build points on a radio.. this will lead to salty cry fest and twats just building the wrong stuff.   What I think should be allowed is for the SL to authorise a build remotely, in a similar way as the current vehicle authorisation... but you click on the player and authorise for a specific emplacement etc.

Yes, that would be nice, and encourage teamplay.

Besides, LMFAO have you even seen what a single well placed hand grenade does to huge walls of sandbags now? It's hilarious how far they fly and after the second nade all the bags are pretty much toast.

tatzhit   
2 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Besides, LMFAO have you even seen what a single well placed hand grenade does to huge walls of sandbags now? It's hilarious how far they fly and after the second nade all the bags are pretty much toast.

Shhh... we don't want the Minecraft crowd to catch on to this and start wasting even MORE points on Oil Barrels and Mortar Shelters, now do we? :D

1 minute ago, tatzhit said:

Shhh... we don't want the Minecraft crowd to catch on to this and start wasting even MORE points on Oil Barrels and Mortar Shelters, now do we? :D

And with my devious mind the first thing that cropped into my head with sandbags anywhere/anytime was zipping over to the bridge by us main on fools road and bagging the hell out of it...