I think all of us who have ever played on medic have hated those people who "give up" on you after you wasted a bandage on them, or squadmates who continue to give up as soon as they are down just because they don't want to wait for a medic (then the game comes to an end and you lose by 15 tickets, which means you would have won had your teammates just waited for a medic revive). I think it would be a great idea to have a "give up" timer for those that constantly give up as soon as they go down. This way, it encourages more teamplay/strategy and allows medics to do their job more efficiently. 

This in no way has a negative effect on those who wait for medics. Since this timer would only effect those who constantly give up after going down. 

Suggesting that (not counting your first "give up"), that if you give up too quickly (lets say, within 15 seconds of going down), you will not have the option to press "GIVE UP" on the screen for 15 seconds. If players continue to give up early, the timer will continue to increase by 15 second increments, up to a minute. 

This is just a basic idea, I'm not saying 15 seconds is fair, but you get the idea.

For those that already wait, they will not be punished for giving up and would not have to wait.

What do you guys think?

embecmom   

I like the idea of somehow discouraging people to give up quickly but I think the mechanic is already in the game whereby the spawn timer increases if you were to die quickly again after your respawn.. and it would punish those where no fault of their own you could not save and had to give up.

Maybe one v daft idea would be that the medic highlights the person they are going to heal and if they give up before the medic heals them then their spawn timer increases by the no. of seconds left on their bleedout counter (however long that is at the moment).. to avoid this the medic either has to heal them or unclick...

or

the bleed out counter obviously has a count down timer on it... add this to the re-spawn counter based on how much was left when you clicked give up (so if you click give up right a way you still have to wait the whole bleed out time plus respawn time to respawn)....

9 hours ago, embecmom said:

I like the idea of somehow discouraging people to give up quickly but I think the mechanic is already in the game whereby the spawn timer increases if you were to die quickly again after your respawn.. and it would punish those where no fault of their own you could not save and had to give up.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason there is that timer is because the standard "respawn cooldown" if you will, before you can spawn again after dying doesn't have much to do with giving up quickly, but rather the system is already set up in place to where as soon as you spawn, a timer starts to countdown to zero again so that if you die ASAP, you still have to wait for that timer.

In case that was confusing, he's a more descriptive example. 

I spawn at a HAB/FOB, as soon as I spawn, the game secretly behind the scenes starts a spawn cooldown timer (almost like a 'wave' timer in the sense that the timer is consistent every time you spawn, (enemies within FOB radius aside). 

So my suggestion is moreso that people just can't press "Give up" as much as they want.

LugNut   

I don't think you should be able to give up at all. Wiping a squad, medics included, is commonly only a minor inconvenience to them in game now, since they can respawn on a rally if they have one, or FOB if they have one and be quickly back in the fight, leading to non stop conveyor belt battles. I'd rather there be lulls in the fighting where you have enough time to do something strategically after you clear out a point, or if you wipe a squad you come across out in the field. Make that be damaging to the other side. 

If players paid a stiffer penalty for dying, they'd play smarter and with more caution. 

And, as a medic, I find it endlessly annoying to have people give up on you for no reason. 

eggman   

A timer that shows the players their give up timer would be useful (it's exposed in game with the bleed out state, should be exposed in the UI to the wounded player). As the UI indicator (something like a bar decreasing in size) shrinks down, eventually it gets to 0 and the player is forced to give up.

Giving up earlier than the bar at 0 would add some portion of the "early give up" to the player's respawn timer (in addition to other penalties). 

I believe it already works something like this, so just adding an indicator to the player would help reduce unnecessary give-ups.

eg