Vegetal

Game uses up all ram?

I have 8 gigs of ram here and a few matches after starting, the game starts to lag badly. Task manager shows 20mb of ram left. What's the deal? Is Squad so badly optimized I need 16 or 32 gb? Is something wrong on my computer?

i had a problem like this. An error popup saying out of memory.

I had removed my page file, adding a small page file fixed the problem.

I don't have any error, I already have a page file set up. The problem is that when the game reaches this state, the game gets VERY laggy.

And this is the first game I played that uses more than 8gb so....

On 8/16/2017 at 0:59 PM, Vegetal said:

I don't have any error, I already have a page file set up. The problem is that when the game reaches this state, the game gets VERY laggy.

And this is the first game I played that uses more than 8gb so....

I think, and I could be wrong, with how unoptimized Squad is, there might be a memory leak somewhere that may require a restart to fix.

Hopefully V10 helps a bit with performance.

On 8/17/2017 at 1:59 AM, Vegetal said:

I'm reasonably sure that your game gets laggy because it starts paging after you hit 8GB of usage, and your page file is on a HDD. If you have a SSD, putting the page file on the SSD helped me eliminate all that lag when I only had 6GB of ram. 

On 8/23/2017 at 8:55 PM, Psyrus said:

I'm reasonably sure that your game gets laggy because it starts paging after you hit 8GB of usage, and your page file is on a HDD. If you have a SSD, putting the page file on the SSD helped me eliminate all that lag when I only had 6GB of ram. 

is there any reason to keep a page file on your c drive (even a small one for windows logs)? like at all? are there certain windows logs that only save to c drive? or will it work on the ssd for all and no issues?

1 hour ago, CR1T1CALIRL said:

is there any reason to keep a page file on your c drive (even a small one for windows logs)? like at all? are there certain windows logs that only save to c drive? or will it work on the ssd for all and no issues?

Rather than there being any issues, it's actually recommended practice as far as I know to keep the pagefile off the main OS disk.

https://serverfault.com/questions/356232/performance-gains-of-putting-windows-pagefile-on-separate-partition-same-disk

5 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Rather than there being any issues, it's actually recommended practice as far as I know to keep the pagefile off the main OS disk.

https://serverfault.com/questions/356232/performance-gains-of-putting-windows-pagefile-on-separate-partition-same-disk

Question

In this post it says "

There is a gain, instead, in putting it on a different physical disk, but only if there are no other workloads on it."

i have windows on my HDD, and squad basically alone on my SSD (along with steam), obviously while playing squad there will be a workload...

should i put it on my X drive instead? (other HDD i have for programs, misc. files) which will have no workloads while playing squad

Edited by CR1T1CALIRL

54 minutes ago, CR1T1CALIRL said:

i have windows on my HDD, and squad basically alone on my SSD (along with steam), obviously while playing squad there will be a workload...

Not much of a workload, the loading time into the game and then into the level means most of the necessary files will already be in your RAM. If you have a SSD, I do recommend a couple of GB of pagefile on the SSD, it's night and day compared with a HDD pagefile. 

On 26/08/2017 at 6:14 PM, Devastation said:

Every patch this crap happens.. I had to uninstall squad and install it on my SSD

It's not that big a deal really, it is in the alpha phase of development! Hope the re-install worked and your having fun in the game.

I have seen it a few times playing Squad where my ram usage is above 8gb (I have 16gb). I don't tend to run much in the background - OS, AV, controller software, Afterburner, etc & sometimes the odd instance of Chrome. Squad does use more memory than many other games. Whether that's a memory problem or just they way the game is l don't know. I don't think it's necessarily a memory leak as the memory usage doesn't tend to keep climbing over the duration of a round. I can tell you I have no problem like you describe using 16gb.

Windows expects your system to have a pagefile (at least it did with Win7) and if you don't have one, even a small one and not using all available ram, it can cause instability issues. Pagefiles are supposed to be written and read often. Even with 16gb I see Windows has paged data. SSDs are great being read from but if you're frequently writing to the same reserved space you are going to shorten the life expectancy of your SSD considerably. Simplest & safest solution is to add more ram.

Playing a game in Alpha will always have issues. Squad is not alone in that fact.

On 26/08/2017 at 6:14 PM, Devastation said:

Every patch this crap happens.. I had to uninstall squad and install it on my SSD

Why not just use Steam to move your game to the SSD rather than have to download/ install again. It's a feature in Steam now finally. You have to shamefully already have a Steam game installed on the drive before you have the option to move the game though which is a s*itty implementation after all these years. 

Highest Ramusage i personaly have seen while running Squad was 12,5 GB , that value is nothing special BF1 , Ghostrecon Wildlands,ArK, PUBGs even ARMA3 in 64 Bitmode can use that many RAM.

So if you consider a  Ramupgrade to 16 GB it would beneifit a lot of Titels.

Funny how games tend to require higher specs and gameplay doesn't change much. PR has more complex gameplay and higher player capacity, and doesn't use that much power.

To be honest, Squad's visuals or complexity don't justify it being so heavy on processing power. I can tell it prevents a LOT of new players buying the game.

7 minutes ago, Vegetal said:

Funny how games tend to require higher specs and gameplay doesn't change much. PR has more complex gameplay and higher player capacity, and doesn't use that much power.

Well there is more power available, its not like hardware was stopped being developed and iterated upon, so of course new games are going to have higher specs or else there would be no point to the newer hardware. New game engines do more, and take advantage of that high end hardware. 

PR has more "complex" gameplay because it was developed over 10+ years, there has been tons of time to dedicate to its development. That being said, the engine that runs PR is extremely dated, and its fairly obvious when you go and try to play it today; of course it doesn't use much power, it was made to run on 2005 era PCs.

Can't really compare the specs needed for either game, as Squad does a lot more behind the scenes; such as its extremely well done audio system, something that was generally absent from PR. Of course gameplay isn't going to change much.... they are trying to make a spiritual successor to PR here, so why wouldn't the game play be similar?

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

Squad's well done audio system? Sorry, there's nothing special about it in a player's point of view. Gun sounds change so much and in such an artificial way with distance that I personally think it sucks.

I'm pretty sure newer engines do more, I'm just failing to see the benefit for the player. I mean, PR had some really bad limitations like firing rate and other stuff, but that's it. Squad has better gunplay and that's basically it for now.

10 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

It's not that big a deal really, it is in the alpha phase of development! Hope the re-install worked and your having fun in the game.

My main hard drive had enough gigs to download the patch but it kept saying error not enough disk space, so I just did a clean uninstall & then reinstalled it on my SSD and had no problems at all with it being on my SSD. "it even loads the game 10 times faster."

PS

Oh Yeah, I am definitely having fun playing SQUAD... I Love SQUAD !

Been playing since Alpha release.

7 hours ago, Devastation said:

My main hard drive had enough gigs to download the patch but it kept saying error not enough disk space, so I just did a clean uninstall

Yeah that was my only problem with the patch..