Sign in to follow this  
Smee

5.56 replacement

40mmrain   

They're only purchasing 50,000. The US army is waiting on some more advanced infantry weapon tech before the commit to replacing the M4.

Also exactly how is the 7.62x51 supposed to defeat armour that can stop .30-06 "armour piercing" (steel core?) They have the same diameter but the .30-06 has more energy. It's not like diameter is good for piercing armour anyways, tanks fire 80mm sabots out of their 120mm+ guns because basic pressure physics? I guess the M80A1 is that good, but still:  "Blogger Nathaniel Fitch at The Firearm Blog doesn't think so, and points out that the M80A1 Enhanced Performance Round doesn't penetrate advanced body armors any better than existing 5.56 rounds. "

Edited by 40mmrain

Dubs   
1 hour ago, 40mmrain said:

They're only purchasing 50,000. The US army is waiting on some more advanced infantry weapon tech before the commit to replacing the M4.

Also exactly how is the 7.62x51 supposed to defeat armour that can stop .30-06 "armour piercing" (steel core?) They have the same diameter but the .30-06 has more energy. It's not like diameter is good for piercing armour anyways, tanks fire 80mm sabots out of their 120mm+ guns because basic pressure physics? I guess the M80A1 is that good, but still:  "Blogger Nathaniel Fitch at The Firearm Blog doesn't think so, and points out that the M80A1 Enhanced Performance Round doesn't penetrate advanced body armors any better than existing 5.56 rounds. "

7.62 rounds are being experimented with - Militaries always purchase a bunch of units, Test/field test them, then decide if useless or not and whether to purchase more units and officially use them in service. (Example: AK200/AK12 variants and the RU Military for the past half decade) . The most probable replacement for the 5.56 will be 6.5 chambered rifles. A lot of testing and field testing has been done in the passed 3 years, not just your regular cartidges but as well as telescoping rounds.

6.5 is superior than both 5.56 and 7.62 Nato. 

zarenx   

we get told in the Norwegian army that our HK416n with the 16.5 inch barrel have the same impact speed and range as the old AG3 that is a 7.62 rifle. so i dont see the need of upgrading from 5.56 to 7.62 cause anything above 200 meters with an assault rifle an normal infantryman gets is hard to hit.

This is just another example of General trying to use the "5.56 is no good" argument to get the Congress to waste money on new rifle replacement program. While it is true that 5.56 is not the best magical kill it all round, it is still the best all purpose round out there in mass use and production. The whole idea of going back to 7.62 nato was bc of the appearance of cheap Chinese body armor and our experience in Afghanistan where troops are getting shot at by rpk machine gun at 1000+ yards. While the intention may sounds good, considering the crazy heavy load that soldiers are carrying now and the fact that other long range squad assets (mortar, DMR, or medium machine gun) already exists, going back to 7.62 will do nothing but reduce soldiers firepower and break their backs...

MINTY   

Waste of money IMO, 556 are light weight, the M4 and AR15 are both extremely well developed, I dont see the point of carrying heavy ass 762 rifles especially when the soldiers already carry a lot of weight. Unless they will develop photon or laser guns I dont see the point of upgrading the soldiers with something that might be as reliable as m4s during the Vietnam era. Waste of money in my opinion

Dubs   

5.56 is coming to its last legs. Average engagement distances surpass its max lethality range, on top of advancement of modern body armor in the past decade pretty much makes 5.56 irrelevant if a conventional war broke out.

The U.S military has taken note of this and especially with future threat of war with an enemy that isn't I'll equipped becoming a possible reality. Its better to prepare than to leave it until the time comes.

I don't see 7.62 completely taking over 5.56. We will probably see an increase of 7.62 rifles used if the military like what they're testing. I see 6.5 rifles taking over most 5.56 rifles. Based on previous testing by multiple militaries and how its proven to have better ballistics & lethality than 5.56 while still being light enough to carry full load. Its already been proved and tested(By the US military as well), all that's needed is more 6.5 development.

Airsoft   

6.5 Creedmoor has superior ballistics to 5.56 and 7.62x51. A very flat shooter that can hit mile targets with minimal effort.