_randombullet

Instead of crying about rush tactics

Posted (edited)

Maybe you should learn to counter it. Learn to adapt. 

I was going to write more but my boss is walking over to my desk.

Edited by _randombullet

Just now, Fandango831 said:

I fail to see the productive point of this thread o.O

12 minutes ago, _randombullet said:

I was going to write more but my boss is walking over to my desk.

2 hours ago, Randall172 said:

HES TELLING YOU TO GO BE PRODUCTIVE, INSTEAD OF CRYING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE CRYING

QFT

1 hour ago, Tartantyco said:

The only counter is the counter-rush.

The real counter is having a full squad or 2 on the first rush-able point.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ZachTheGunner said:

No, it isn't. That's just a fast way to lose the game. If you put one or two(!) full squads on a rushable objective, you're going to be outnumbered on the center flag(s), which means you won't be able to contest it, which means you will get a ticket bleed, which means you have to be on the offensive, which means the opposing team can concentrate all of their forces on that central flag(s) while your team has to divide its forces between their offensive and defensive flag, which means you'll be fighting uphill for the rest of the match. 

And this is if the opposing team does in fact rush. Your suggestion is a pre-emptive tactic. You have to commit to it before you even know if the enemy is going to rush or not. And if they don't, you'll be extremely outnumbered on the central flag(s) and unable to stop them. Which is the problem with the current situation(Caused by the AAS game mode): You just have to gamble on something you cannot ever know the answer to, and your choice will usually decide the outcome of the entire match. Do you commit more forces to rushable rear flags and risk being weaker at the center flag(s), or do you push all your forces to the center and cap the rear flags with a skeleton crew? And this is why everyone rushes. Even if it fails, the rushing forces can quickly respawn on a central HAB and help contest the center flag(s). If you instead try to secure your rear flags by sending full squads to cap them, you're screwed in the center because if they cap the rear flags they still have to move to to the next flag all the way to the center flag(s), which means they'll be out of the fight for the entire time.

It just doesn't work.

Edited by Tartantyco

2 hours ago, ZachTheGunner said:

This but still it's a pain in the arse..we just need more map layouts with 2-3 sequence cap directions.

I wanna rent out a server with no rules...

I'm sick of all these servers with there 18 year old admins looking for rules being broken so they can exercise their authority

But a little more back on track, I'd like to see how no rush rules apply, make the game a little more dynamic

2 hours ago, CHIEF HOTSTICK said:

I wanna rent out a server with no rules...

I'm sick of all these servers with there 18 year old admins looking for rules being broken so they can exercise their authority

But a little more back on track, I'd like to see how no rush rules apply, make the game a little more dynamic

Why are you blaming the power tripping teen when the authorization for his behavior is from OWI?

At this point there are three main factors determining the gameplay of Squad. First are the vanilla Squad guidelines. Secondly, there are the rules inherently built into the game and last are the supplemental rules that OWI gives to servers. In my opinion these things aren't harmonious at all.

9 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Why are you blaming the power tripping teen when the authorization for his behavior is from OWI?

At this point there are three main factors determining the gameplay of Squad. First are the vanilla Squad guidelines. Secondly, there are the rules inherently built into the game and last are the supplemental rules that OWI gives to servers. In my opinion these things aren't harmonious at all.

To some degree, I agree with you, but I'm not sure how far some people go in "defining the rules of the game (inherent)" Do you mean simply the mechanics of roles/leadership? Or the "rules" that tend to span all games in that players can and will always find the most "efficient and brutal" way to do something until everything is ironed out and one option isn't clearly above the others. This game isn't finished, and unfortunately it won't be finished for a while. But the devs have certainly showed great progress.

3 hours ago, Arduras said:

To some degree, I agree with you, but I'm not sure how far some people go in "defining the rules of the game (inherent)" Do you mean simply the mechanics of roles/leadership? Or the "rules" that tend to span all games in that players can and will always find the most "efficient and brutal" way to do something until everything is ironed out and one option isn't clearly above the others. This game isn't finished, and unfortunately it won't be finished for a while. But the devs have certainly showed great progress.

Case in point regarding the original topic; "rushing". Once you're familiar with Unreal Editor you can clearly see that creating these spherical wire frame enemy exclusion zones over the first points on both sides would literally take a single mouse click. Simple if/then statement would then make the points captuable later in sequence. That said, the devs chose not to do that. Draw your own conclusions.

Literally all you have to do to counter a rush is to have an APC cap the first flag.

Some people may say rushing makes them think too hard (in other words, it's too hard to deal with for some people).