Axton

[Free Assets] Puddle Decal Material

Posted (edited)

Hi! I've been busy for a while, doing lots of things. But I managed to take a little time for myself lately and I decided to spend it making some more tutorials and free stuff for you guys :D 

One of the things I made was this puddle decal. It's very dynamic, requiring only a single black and white mask to function. Everything else is procedural. 

Here are some screenshots of it in action:

qNaoS4Z.jpg

NgIff8T.jpg

43KVr0Y.jpg

For those of you who want to use this material, I've made a short video explaining how to use it and additionally how to make masks for it in Photoshop.

The material is available for download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/agl5zvxzt6vpm1c/Puddles.rar

Just unzip to your content folder. Make sure the folder path looks like this:

Content\Puddles\Masks

Once you've done that you should be able to move it wherever you want in ue4!

EDIT: Added falloff parameter

Edited by Axton

Posted (edited)

Hey. Pretty cool.

This misses one single parameter - Falloff strenght, to make the outher edge bigger or smaller with the same puddle size...

Edited by FishMan

8 hours ago, FishMan said:

Hey. Pretty cool.

This misses one single parameter - Falloff strenght, to make the outher edge bigger or smaller with the same puddle size...

Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that :) I'll add it to the material asap.

Bravo, very nice. This will be a nice touch in excavated areas and wetlands. 

Added a falloff parameter on fishman's request: 

e59115f515f91c143acb2e338d4495c8.gif

You'll see that low values tend to reveal the square edges of the texture, so try not to put it too low. 

That's all, enjoy!

Out of curiosity, because it states "material" in the title, does that mean it has it's own potential sound/visual effects when interacting with players/bullets? Rather than the default that the underlying material uses (ground/concrete etc)

Just now, Psyrus said:

Out of curiosity, because it states "material" in the title, does that mean it has it's own potential sound/visual effects when interacting with players/bullets? Rather than the default that the underlying material uses (ground/concrete etc)

I did attempt something of the sort, but unfortunately decal materials have no support for physmats. The best you can do at the moment is place an invisible cube with a water physmat on it just over top of the decal. Looks okay, but it's a pain to place them on every puddle

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Axton said:

I did attempt something of the sort, but unfortunately decal materials have no support for physmats. The best you can do at the moment is place an invisible cube with a water physmat on it just over top of the decal. Looks okay, but it's a pain to place them on every puddle

Ah I see, that makes sense. Maybe a puddle blueprint that holds the parameters then in the constructor/on play it initializes the decal material and collision+physmat together so they don't have to be configured separately? I'm not familiar enough with the editor to know if those two components can be child actors(components?) on a parent blueprint O.o

Edited by Psyrus

Posted (edited)

They could to my knowledge, just too complicated for my liking :P 

Not that it'd be complicated to make, more that it's not a very elegant solution.

Edited by Axton