Jimi Vacarians

Vietnam War Poll

f906680936.png

Hello, in order to start a mod about Vietnam War, i've create a sheet to line up a team.

If your interested sign up here : Poll

If there sufficient people we might meet up for a brainstorming.

Edited by Jimi Vacarians

I live 20 minutes away from this...and will try to photogrammetry  on it when the smoke clears out of the area, and it was in Vietnam...

rogerjacksona7e.jpg

These were launched from aircraft carriers...

Edited by XRobinson

Battle for the city of Hue....  my idea is to do this...one ...

7.jpg

mcc6802-vietnam35.jpg?w=584

It has ancient temples too...

Map_Battle_of_Hue-Army_MHC.gif

Edited by XRobinson
add cool map and pics

1 hour ago, XRobinson said:

Signed up....we need a good mapper!   Maybe Zylfrax is interested?

Sorry, I will not be "Modding" so to speak. Instead, my focus is 100% on creating vanilla Squad maps that will only use the existing OWI assets contained within the Unreal Editor. This is so that everything is completely compatible with zero downloads for the user as I've already played all my maps in the stand alone game.

Personally I think a Korean War mod sounds more appealing to me though as nobody has ever really done anything for this conflict.

Well, I hope you reconsider Zylfrax because it looks like you got the mapping skills to pull it off in good time.  And I can help on buildings besides vehicles and equipment.

5 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Sorry, I will not be "Modding" so to speak. Instead, my focus is 100% on creating vanilla Squad maps that will only use the existing OWI assets contained within the Unreal Editor. This is so that everything is completely compatible with zero downloads for the user as I've already played all my maps in the stand alone game.

Pretty sure the user would still have to download the map you created....? If they're already manually downloading the map, you could just package it with any custom assets and it would be completely transparent to the user whether you've used all OWI assets or if you've included your own custom ones. I could be wrong though, I haven't gone that far in depth with packaging things for UE4. 

Edited by Psyrus

7 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Pretty sure the user would still have to download the map you created....? If they're already manually downloading the map, you could just package it with any custom assets and it would be completely transparent to the user whether you've used all OWI assets or if you've included your own custom ones. I could be wrong though, I haven't gone that far in depth with packaging things for UE4. 

Of course players would download the map which is nothing more than an advanced text file which calls to the assets that currently reside on all of our machines. My North Korean missile base map stands at 27,106 KB for example which would download in a nanosecond. I guess I should add additional assets, I don't know why not maybe I should.

One thing about doing Battle of Hue is there were snipers set up everywhere and they used the M40 recoiless rifle to take them out, and it was block to block fighting, the also set up MG nests and dug in..there maybe or for sure going to be snipers...that lots of people want... :)

Did some work on the M40 sniper rifle last night....but needed to go get dinner.  I started working on a Battle of Hue map too; starting the process of getting a height map started and begin process. :)

25 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

Did some work on the M40 sniper rifle last night....but needed to go get dinner.  I started working on a Battle of Hue map too; starting the process of getting a height map started and begin process. :)

uh oh... I already started a conversion of Kokan which looks really similar to Hue.

834612C2F7F0DFF84B1A78CD470B0E223F5949B7

Cool....you converting it into battle of Hue map?  

There is two large bridges too in Battle of Hue...which I can start on as well...

Edited by XRobinson

2 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

Cool....you converting it into battle of Hue map?  

There is two large bridges too in Battle of Hue...which I can start on as well...

I looked at a bunch of maps of Hue City and compared them to the Kokan terrain and its certainly similar. However, the scale of the main city is so much bigger than Squad could even handle so it would need to be kind of like a scaled down version. I'd be interested to see the height map you're working on and how it translates.

Well, I'm  starting to do multiple projects at once, now....and have to spread my time out to do all of them at same time.  I do one one day and another the next is how I'm tackling it now.  I may try to get the height map started tonight.  And give a sneak peak.  

1 minute ago, XRobinson said:

Well, I'm  starting to do multiple projects at once, now....and have to spread my time out to do all of them at same time.  I do one one day and another the next is how I'm tackling it now.  I may try to get the height map started tonight.  And give a sneak peak.  

Throw together a quick .raw file height map and upload it somewhere and I'll mess with it right now.

Cool, Unadilla MX got rained out temporarily...

The problem I see though is that central citadel area with all the canals has so many buildings and most of them look nothing like the assets available in Squad.

22 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

Modeling is not easy... :)

Bridges are weird too...

peter-alan-lloyd-BACK-vietnam-war-backpa

5757995906_e6c9a68d27_b.jpg

history-of-long-bien-brige.jpg

That bridge wouldn't be a problem to make with existing meshes in the industrial folders. Just very time consuming. Its all those buildings with the curved roofs etc. that worry me.

I think that make the buildings half or totally destroyed already do to bombing....when you start the level the battle is already started and you enter it say half way through that way the buildings already destroyed status is explained...

0682c737157fb9990f59e9e33efc1f49.jpg

image094.jpg

f40f064dffe66611c5bd148dff6ec27e--vietna

image095.jpg

Some examples...

military-museum-hue-16x9-4_13860642635.j

Tet-Offensive-Hero-H.jpeg

Edited by XRobinson

Nice...ready to fire that Jimi...

Hey Zylfrax, started to builld that Hue map, need to figure out the size and scale, I figure on having an aircraft carrier and ocean part where aircraft are launched and doing the support and bombing of Hue.  Thinking 4097 by 4097 map size what you think?

31dee71720ee12f8fcb31ed92f06671d.jpg

See I need to know how much to cover of the terrain and ocean parts what the square area would be over this map?

This map would make a good campaign over view of many levels to play.

This is the old BF map..

latest?cb=20110216050237

Check this out...

i9KMBQ6.jpg

Found the right reference maps...

Hue+1968+GE.jpg

Edited by XRobinson

I worked long hours on the Hue height map Zylfrax....show Wip tomorrow, Im beat up tired...unlesd your on the Discord, I posted there already, are you on modding Discord?