Jump to content
JD85

Worth upgrading graphics card or look at a new build?

Recommended Posts

JD85   

Hi all

 

Been reading through the hardware section and i'm currently in two minds as to whether upgrade part of my current system or look at a new build entirely in the near future.

What i have is about 6 years old now and suits my needs still as i haven't done much PC gaming since Battlefield 4, but i'm thinking the graphics card is causing me some issues with Squad (and likely any other new games).

 

Off the top of my head, most settings are on high but things like shadows and foilage are set to medium, view distance high, bloom etc are off and i can't touch super sampling without massive FPS hits.

 

I observe about 50-70 FPS in the firing range but i think around 30-50 in multiplayer.

 

Would there be value in just upgrading the graphics card to something like a Nvidia 1060, or would i be pairing a graphics card with a CPU that is just getting too old to keep up?

 

I guess i could always try a Nvidia 1060 6GB Graphics card and if it doesn't make a difference, put it into a new build.

 

I5 2500K OC @ 4.3ghz
Gigabyte P67A-UD4 Motherboard

16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM

Nvidia 2GB 760 GTX 

120 SSD 

Windows 7

Only playing in 1080p atm


My idea for a new build is something along the lines of the below, which i'm pricing around the £1100 region.

Intel 7600k CPU with OC

16 GB Ram

Nvidia 1060 6GB Graphics

 

Any input appreciated

Edited by JD85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smee   

Are you thinking of new monitor, this could be the biggest factor, a could take a large chunk out of that budget, but we'll worth considering. Personally love widescreen gaming. (3340×1440) wouldn't go back.  

 

Gpu you could consider the 580x for @half the price of 1070.

 

At end of the day we all end up have to update at some point and it's when you bite the bullet. Best of luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JD85   
20 minutes ago, Smee said:

Are you thinking of new monitor, this could be the biggest factor, a could take a large chunk out of that budget, but we'll worth considering. Personally love widescreen gaming. (3340×1440) wouldn't go back.  

 

Gpu you could consider the 580x for @half the price of 1070.

 

At end of the day we all end up have to update at some point and it's when you bite the bullet. Best of luck

 

Thanks for the input dude, I'm currently gaming on a 26" at 1920x1080. So nothing fancy there.

I do see the attraction in a new monitor but i think i can live with what i have for now.

Further research online seems to suggest that the I5 2500K (when overclocked) is still a decent workhorse and there are many who have combined it with a 1060 or 1070 with good results.

i'd probably be more inclined to look at a GPU upgrade to tide things over for another 2 years or so before a fresh start. Could even look at a 1070 to use as the basis for a future build.

Edited by JD85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moppel   

2500K oced isn`t that bad , but its the main reason for your low FPS on full servers while Firing range runs ok.

 

My personal option don`t upgrade even 4790k users report ~40 FPS on Full servers : wait until Devs fix their shit and Squad runs in a decent manner meaning -->  propper multithreading and avoidence of singelthread bottlenecks.

 

If you want to upgrade annyway just for Squad ,a  7600k , 1060 6gb and 16 gb ddr4 are a proper choice.

 

You want to OC that 7600k so you have to buy a board with a Z Chipset, ramwise choose soomthing around  ~DDR 3200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
banOkay   

It's not worth upgrading your GPU for Squad as you're bottlenecked by your CPU (you get lower fps with more players on server because of additional calculations your CPU does, not because your GPU has more to render). Besides marginal gains due to driver updates you wouldn't really gain much.

 

Similar goes for your CPU. Spending so much money, downgrading from 8t to 4t and all for <30% improvement: not worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wingman9   

If you're considering a PC upgrade imminently, you might upgrade your video card now, then use that card with your future build.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JD85   

I'm still managing to get 40-50 FPS during games so that will be OK for now.

 

I'll hold off a upgrade or replacement for a few months and see how prices change for certain graphic cards and how optimization of the game goes.

 

Thanks for the advice all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Disco   
4 hours ago, JD85 said:

I'm still managing to get 40-50 FPS during games so that will be OK for now.

 

I'll hold off a upgrade or replacement for a few months and see how prices change for certain graphic cards and how optimization of the game goes.

 

Thanks for the advice all

Your suggestion is best in this thread :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-08-03 at 5:51 PM, banOkay said:

It's not worth upgrading your GPU for Squad as you're bottlenecked by your CPU (you get lower fps with more players on server because of additional calculations your CPU does, not because your GPU has more to render). Besides marginal gains due to driver updates you wouldn't really gain much.

 

Similar goes for your CPU. Spending so much money, downgrading from 8t to 4t and all for <30% improvement: not worth it.

I5 2500K isn't 8-threaded. (?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, being bottlenecked by the cpu and all, should he chose to go for a new monitor with massive resolution - shouldn't he then still be having the same decent enough fps as he does now? I mean higher resolution doesn't strain the cpu at all, is that correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SHO-SHIN   
8 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

I mean higher resolution doesn't strain the cpu at all, is that correct?

Higher resolution does stress CPU more in terms of FPS output.

It has been a while since I tested this but from memory allow losing up to 10fps from 1080p-1440p and the same again from 1440p-2160p.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy a 980-ti,  its more then enough for squad and other games at 1080 (all epic and 1.5 x super sampling 70-100fps) and it beats a 1060 if you look on ebay your get a 2nd hand one for the same price or less then the 1060 sure if you spend a few days/week searching your find a bargain. 

 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3439vs3639

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by UnderFire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SHO-SHIN said:

Higher resolution does stress CPU more in terms of FPS output.

It has been a while since I tested this but from memory allow losing up to 10fps from 1080p-1440p and the same again from 1440p-2160p.

Yeah but did you switch gpu when testing? With more vram as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SHO-SHIN   
8 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Yeah but did you switch gpu when testing? With more vram as well?

Nope this was with same GPU, from memory a GTX970.

I guess higher end cards it will make less difference re the bandwidth and VRAM available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JD85   
On 8/6/2017 at 10:51 AM, UnderFire said:

Buy a 980-ti,  its more then enough for squad and other games at 1080 (all epic and 1.5 x super sampling 70-100fps) and it beats a 1060 if you look on ebay your get a 2nd hand one for the same price or less then the 1060 sure if you spend a few days/week searching your find a bargain. 

 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3439vs3639

 

 

 

 

 

 

Interesting thought. I didn't have a 9 series card on my radar to be honest, was initially just looking at a 1060/1070 but it seemed like it would be bottlenecked by my ageing CPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JD85   

Picked up a used but excellent condition 980ti on ebay and i have replaced my old monitor with a 1440p screen.

The 980ti will tide me over for a while and will eventually put it in a new build in 6 months or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JD85   

The upgrade seemed to be the right call for now.

 

A used 980ti has drastically improved the look of the game (and FPS) along with a fresh reinstall of windows.

 

My ageing I5-2500K is now on a modest overclock of 4.2ghz, with 16gb of ram and the 980ti.

 

Put through a new 1440p monitor with mostly high/ultra settings and sampling at 1.25, i'm averaging 60fps which is fine with me for a old system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×