JD85

Worth upgrading graphics card or look at a new build?

36 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

[email protected] does not bottleneck my gtx1080 @ 2560x1080 with epic settings (shadows medium) and 1.5x res scaling. 80+fps on full servers.

What BIOS settings do you use for 4.5GHz stable for your 3770k? CPU Voltage? Load line calibration? CPU current capability? Etc.

13 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

What BIOS settings do you use for 4.5GHz stable for your 3770k? CPU Voltage? Load line calibration? CPU current capability? Etc.

I am running a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H with F14 bios. The only thing I had to mess with to overclock was my CPU clock ratio to x45 and memory to XMP profile1. Everything else is set to auto, including power settings. CPU-Z shows my CPU core voltage going to 1.404v when stressed. Easiest overclock I have ever done. During stress testing my CPU gets to 77-78 degC with a Corsair H100 in a Corsair Graphite 600T case.

2 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

I am running a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H with F14 bios. The only thing I had to mess with to overclock was my CPU clock ratio to x45 and memory to XMP profile1. Everything else is set to auto, including power settings. CPU-Z shows my CPU core voltage going to 1.404v when stressed. Easiest overclock I have ever done. During stress testing my CPU gets to 77-78 degC with a Corsair H100 in a Corsair Graphite 600T case.

Lucky you. Though voltage seems a bit extreme. Anyway mine starts giving me troubles on auto when I go to 44 already. So not sure what to set to go to 45 really. What I tried didn't help much.

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

10 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Lucky you. Though voltage seems a bit extreme. Anyway mine starts giving me troubles on auto when I go to 44 already. So not sure what to set to go to 45 really. What I tried didn't help much.

I could try to drop it manually to 1.30-1.35v but as my temps are not high I am not worried by 1.404v. My guess is I got lucky with a cpu that likes to overclock. That 77-78 degC is during stress testing. When gaming it rarely gets to 75 degC.

if you can run all other games at decent fps - don't buy PC components to play squad, it's now worth it. I've bought 7700k to play this game, and although I can play any other game in 60+ fps on ultra - squad is still unplayable. 

It's just not worth it. Wait for FPS fixes and optimisation.

Edited by PadrePadre

2 hours ago, PadrePadre said:

don't buy PC components to play squad

It's just not worth it. Wait for FPS fixes and optimisation.

Definitely agree with this sentiment.

2 hours ago, PadrePadre said:

I've bought 7700k to play this game, and although I can play any other game in 60+ fps on ultra - squad is still unplayable. 

There's something wrong with your rig then...

My 7600K + 1060 combo gets very playable FPS at all high settings (minus AA and SS)

Frankly if you have the money to get the new build, I say go for it. The latest i7 is an absolute beast and the 1060 is a great value. I have a 1060 and I'm loving it. 

Edited by jellyswim

Bought i5 8600k (will OC it) and i waiting new components with 1080 Ti  in early December. My goal is to play with good fps (50+) at 3440x1440 on LG 34 Ultrawide. 3440x1440 is a killer frames.

Will be hard with Alpha...i know

3 minutes ago, Tmac said:

Edited by Tmac

Before you go on buying those new cpus please note that the single-thread performance increase between the i7 3770k from 2012 (which I have) is rated at 2084p on passmark, while the "beast" i7 6900k from 2016 is rated only at 2188p which is a meagre 5% increase in what supposedly matters. I take note that my cpu isn't maxed out at all so if I am capped by my cpu with my new gtx 1070 then you probably will be by a i7 6900k also. TBH cpu performance hasn't really improved that much in those years, it has mostly been upped by higher parallel capacity which is a bit dishonest in comparison I feel.

i5 8600k is better at 2541p but it's still not extremely impressive considering the amount of years that has passed. Probably won't give you more than an extra 15 fps or so over my 2012 year cpu. 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

On 21.11.2017 at 3:14 AM, Psyrus said:

Definitely agree with this sentiment.

There's something wrong with your rig then...

My 7600K + 1060 combo gets very playable FPS at all high settings (minus AA and SS)

There are maps like Narva where I can't play a game as looking in one direction is giving me instant slideshow. It's just example, same as new big forest map. I'm playing in 1080p with upscaling to 1.5x, and it's fine, but there are maps where game is unplayable no matter the settings. 

For now, Squad is a waste of time because of performance. It looks like 2001 title and runs like something from 2021.

On 24.11.2017 at 12:12 AM, Major Trouble said:

@PadrePadre IronTaxi believes the drop in fps is caused by a corrupt texture. The devs are on it so hopefully they'll have it sorted soon.

I hope they will fix it. 

Already all my teammates left idea of buying Squad due to it's huge engine problems and they are going for a walk to Tarkov. 

So fingers crossed for the texture bug, if it's it.

On 26.11.2017 at 2:11 AM, Major Trouble said:

Supposedly fixed in 9.17. Some extreme tesselation was the issue. 

Yes, fortunately the problem was fixed. That's good.