JD85

Worth upgrading graphics card or look at a new build?

Imo upgrading your PC just for Squad right now is not a good investment. You could spend $2,000 USD on a PC, and still get 50-60ish FPS. Until the game is fully optimized, I would suggest just wait to buy your parts since likely they could be cheaper or new versions of them come out before the game is complete. That's just my $0.02 ;)

4 hours ago, Kernel Panic said:

Imo upgrading your PC just for Squad right now is not a good investment. You could spend $2,000 USD on a PC, and still get 50-60ish FPS. Until the game is fully optimized, I would suggest just wait to buy your parts since likely they could be cheaper or new versions of them come out before the game is complete. That's just my $0.02 ;)

Kindof what I feel as well. If it can't run that well even on very highend stuff then something hopefully isn't very optimized. Hopefully it's a lack of thread-utilization, meaning all of them cores and hyperthreads will mean a big deal once they employ them properly. It seems to be a fact that single-core performance hasn't risen that high and fast the last couple of years that one would have hoped. However physics problems are (supposedly) quite parallelizable so maybe they can do some stuff there.

On 8/30/2017 at 3:08 AM, Psyrus said:

What I've noticed over many years is that most people are terrible at estimating their "average" fps (or min or max for that matter). Without benchmarking tools, you can generally presume the number is +/- 20% or something like that :P 

That was my rough average but of course it varies on map to map and i haven't really been tracking it in much detail.

I'd say most the times i'm in combat it's around 45-50, then around 50-75 when out in the wilds or being driven to a point.

Either way, perfectly playable for components that are mostly 6/7 years old. Only the GPU and some additional ram are the changes i made to improve squad performance, and i'm surprised i get the FPS i do when combined with the ingame settings.

2 hours ago, JD85 said:

I'd say most the times i'm in combat it's around 45-50, then around 50-75 when out in the wilds or being driven to a point.

Until the game is better optimised you are not going to do much better than that ^ even with newer hardware. Yes you might be able to up the eye candy settings and maintain high fps but once the server gets full and, depending on the server, your fps will still come down to roughly where you are now. Hopefully v10 will improve things and make upgrading more worthwhile for you and everyone else.

1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

Until the game is better optimised you are not going to do much better than that ^ even with newer hardware. Yes you might be able to up the eye candy settings and maintain high fps but once the server gets full and, depending on the server, your fps will still come down to roughly where you are now. Hopefully v10 will improve things and make upgrading more worthwhile for you and everyone else.

I still drop to 55fps on Al Basrah (I am running a high end rig), this is in 1440p at 1.5 resolution scaling at tournament settings.

Most maps I play at 80-100fps. This is full servers.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

I'm OK with performance for now and upgrading my 760 to a 980ti has provided a decent enough boost so i'm holding off on a new build/upgrade.

It wouldn't have been exclusively for squad if i did upgrade.

I'm aware that people with much superior systems are reporting similar performance (sometimes worse sometimes better) so i agree it's hard to gauge what's worthwhile when the game is not yet optimised or close to launch.

Edited by JD85

16 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

I still drop to 55fps on Al Basrah (I am running a high end rig), this is in 1440p at 1.5 resolution scaling at tournament settings.

Most maps I play at 80-100fps. This is full servers.

I can get those fps as well but generally not on full servers while at 2560x1080, 1.5x res scaling. Once the server is full my gpu usage usually will fall to around 50% and cpu hovering around 60% on a couple of cores with others much lower. I could probably get some more fps with a newer cpu (waiting for Coffee Lake to see what it brings to the party) but Squads performance seems more dictated by the server and what map is in play. Can't wait to see what the new animation system in v10, hopefully, will bring in the performance department.

35 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

I can get those fps as well but generally not on full servers while at 2560x1080, 1.5x res scaling. Once the server is full my gpu usage usually will fall to around 50% and cpu hovering around 60% on a couple of cores with others much lower. I could probably get some more fps with a newer cpu (waiting for Coffee Lake to see what it brings to the party) but Squads performance seems more dictated by the server and what map is in play. Can't wait to see what the new animation system in v10, hopefully, will bring in the performance department.

Yes fair assessment of the situation right there. I put together my 'supa' system (LOL) more for VR stuff to be honest.

22 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

I put together my 'supa' system (LOL) more for VR stuff to be honest.

Very wise. Building a high end system just to play a game that's in EA / alpha is not particularly smart imho unless you have money to burn.

Very wise. Building a high end system just to play a game that's in EA / alpha is not particularly smart imho unless you have money to burn.

Well yes, but I also have over 1250 hours of Squad with no sign of slowing down and I play it pretty seriously so it would have worked just for Squad as well IMO. 

If a system works well for Squad, it can handle pretty much anything it would seem.

On 8/30/2017 at 11:39 PM, Kernel Panic said:

upgrading your PC just for Squad right now is not a good investment.

+1

Upgrading your PC wasting $$$$ just to play that one single game is madness, especially when you can play other games including AAA titles relatively well.

As I said before in another thread, throwing money at a problem does not fix the fundamental flaws that are indefinitely present within the poorly optimised UE4 engine.

10 minutes ago, RollingInTheHurt said:

+1

Upgrading your PC wasting $$$$ just to play that one single game is madness, especially when you can play other games including AAA titles relatively well.

As I said before in another thread, throwing money at a problem does not fix the fundamental flaws that are indefinitely present within the poorly optimised UE4 engine.

I see where your coming from but in my case throwing some cash at my system did work - most of the time i'm playing Squad at around 90fps in 1440p at 1.25 resolution scale. It's a personal choice. Of course I can play other games at amazing FPS and resolutions as well so it's a win win.

On 2017-08-29 at 10:50 PM, Comrade14 said:

I run a 3770k at 4.4ghz, 16gb ddr3, and a 1080 SC(+110 core clock +400 memory clock) and get around 95-98 fps at the fire range(all epic settings, 1920x1080, super sampling off and txaa) and about 48-60 fps depending on the map so I'd say go for it.

I just installed my new i7 3770k and clocked it to 4.3G, played the game and got enormously good fps. Unfortunately the 9.9 update was the main pulprit probably so I have no idea how much better the new cpu was over the old i5 2500k OC'd. Still game is great. Silly the update should come exactly the same moment!

I can even run at 1440p with my gtx 970 now which is what I wanted!

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

9.9 has at least made gpu upgrades more worthwhile by passing more of the load their way.

I'm in no real hurry to upgrade my 3770k but am watching Coffee Lake's release and waiting for reviews/tests to see if, after all these years waiting, it's worth a punt. My 3770k would be recycled into my son's PC to really get my money's worth out of it.

9.9 has at least made gpu upgrades more worthwhile by passing more of the load their way.

I'm in no real hurry to upgrade my 3770k but am watching Coffee Lake's release and waiting for reviews/tests to see if, after all these years waiting, it's worth a punt. My 3770k would be recycled into my son's PC to really get my money's worth out of it.

Yep. I'm now pretty happy with performance and visual quality with my I5 2500k, 980ti and 1440p screen (about 60-90 FPS on average).

Means i can hold off on a new system build whilst the game is further developed/optimised and also allows more time for the new range of CPU's to hit the market.

31 minutes ago, JD85 said:

Yep. I'm now pretty happy with performance and visual quality with my I5 2500k, 980ti and 1440p screen (about 60-90 FPS on average).

Means i can hold off on a new system build whilst the game is further developed/optimised and also allows more time for the new range of CPU's to hit the market.

What are your settings?

9 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

What are your settings?

Super sampling: 1.5x (i turn it down to 1.25 on some heavier maps)
Effects: High
View distance: Epic

Shadows: Medium
Foliage: High 

On 9/12/2017 at 7:17 AM, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

I just installed my new i7 3770k and clocked it to 4.3G, played the game and got enormously good fps. Unfortunately the 9.9 update was the main pulprit probably so I have no idea how much better the new cpu was over the old i5 2500k OC'd. Still game is great. Silly the update should come exactly the same moment!

I can even run at 1440p with my gtx 970 now which is what I wanted!

Since 9.9 I get about 70-100 fps depending on the map,  it's great!

I found that if I had "load full textures" checked it totally killed my fps, so if it is something people want to try to get faster fps that might be it. Didn't look closely but didn't feel I missed out on a lot either. Good to know I'm not cpu bound to anything lower than maybe around 70 fps or so now at least.

A thing about the i7 3770k was the hyperthreading which I never had before. I believe it is really cool actually! I fired up prime95 100% cpu on all cores but still had absolutely no problem whatsoever navigating around in my browser and moving it around etc. I don't think it was like that with my i5. I think it was really bogged down. HT is great! Maybe not so much for squad but for a generally nice system.

Maybe now I should buy a 1070 to max everything out.

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

4 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Maybe now I should buy a 1070 to max everything out.

You could buy a new 1070 or, like I did, take advantage of people upgrading from a 1080 to a 1080ti. Many are just a couple of months old. You can get a nearly new one for less money than a new 1070.

Just been reading about the imminent arrival of a 1070 Ti so you might want to see what that brings.

Edited by Major Trouble
New info

15 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

You could buy a new 1070 or, like I did, take advantage of people upgrading from a 1080 to a 1080ti. Many are just a couple of months old. You can get a nearly new one for less money than a new 1070.

Just been reading about the imminent arrival of a 1070 Ti so you might want to see what that brings.

You mean people actually upgrade from 1080 to 1080 Ti? They got too much money it seems...

You need to upgrade CPU and GPU. Optimization and UE engine both need alot of work as they're not really market friendly if that makes sense.
Got a 1070 but get bottlenecked by my CPU. In other games i get great FPS. 

4 hours ago, -MG said:

You need to upgrade CPU and GPU. Optimization and UE engine both need alot of work as they're not really market friendly if that makes sense.
Got a 1070 but get bottlenecked by my CPU. In other games i get great FPS. 

You who? What CPU? Bottlenecked at what fps?

29 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

You who? What CPU? Bottlenecked at what fps?

JD's rig. MY cpu is 4670k at 3.9ghz i believe ?. My CPU 2 cores go nuts while the other 2 average 55% and my GPU isn't bothered at all. But before i had the 1070 i had a 660 and my GPU went full 100% and my CPU had like 2 cores at 85-90% and others not much preoccupied.

To run Squad at 60+ stable and smooth you need a expensive rig.