Frazz   

This may not be a popular idea but here goes.

AAS in pub servers seems to have become "All about the rush" to cut off enemy movement, and to hell with the rest of the game. When it works it causes absolute chaos for the other team when it fails it causes chaos for the rushing team, all seems to be won or lost in those first 10 minutes of a game rather than concentrating on the objectives at hand. Now maybe some might see this as a valid tactic & i get that, but when vehicles start to camp enemy main bases or the battle is all centered around one flag with the rest of them left uncapped it becomes a little extreme and no fun at all.

Might i suggest a "front line/taken territory" type of modification to AAS?...similar to how (graphically)  Steel division does it then put some restrictions on movement? Then the enemy cannot move way behind enemy lines until the territory is dominated by one team of the other? Obviously it wouldnt be as simplistic as i suggest but i reakon it would help game mechinics some for AAS to stop the rush.

Not sure if this would work or not just puttin my 2p out there maybe someone with more experience in game mechanics can take this or something similar and modify the existing AAS....Unless its working as the devs intended, if so ignore this.

Smee   

How about, if your not at the point of attacking the flag you can't contest it. So if the enemy the has attack advantage they will cap with even one in the flag zone., no matter how many enemy.

4 hours ago, Frazz said:

This may not be a popular idea but here goes.

AAS in pub servers seems to have become "All about the rush" to cut off enemy movement, and to hell with the rest of the game. When it works it causes absolute chaos for the other team when it fails it causes chaos for the rushing team, all seems to be won or lost in those first 10 minutes of a game rather than concentrating on the objectives at hand. Now maybe some might see this as a valid tactic & i get that, but when vehicles start to camp enemy main bases or the battle is all centered around one flag with the rest of them left uncapped it becomes a little extreme and no fun at all.

Might i suggest a "front line/taken territory" type of modification to AAS?...similar to how (graphically)  Steel division does it then put some restrictions on movement? Then the enemy cannot move way behind enemy lines until the territory is dominated by one team of the other? Obviously it wouldnt be as simplistic as i suggest but i reakon it would help game mechinics some for AAS to stop the rush.

Not sure if this would work or not just puttin my 2p out there maybe someone with more experience in game mechanics can take this or something similar and modify the existing AAS....Unless its working as the devs intended, if so ignore this.

This feature is already built into game. Technically speaking you should be able to jump into a vehicle and get to your first capture point before the other team because of the distance differential. On some maps like Kohat (my absolute favorite) the first point is already in your team's possession.

Stifling the non-linear and fluid nature of the gameplay in Squad seems counterproductive to me.

On 02/08/2017 at 11:58 PM, Frazz said:

AAS in pub servers seems to have become "All about the rush" to cut off enemy movement, and to hell with the rest of the game

This has been talked about numerous times already. Search "rushing". The issue is in the implimentation of AAS in Squad, which is really Conquest, rather than proper sequential AAS.

On 03/08/2017 at 3:59 AM, Smee said:

How about, if your not at the point of attacking the flag you can't contest it

exactly how AAS should work - and would work, if the map was not filled with neutral flags that could be taken in any order (ie: non-sequential & non-linear).

AAS is linear and sequential - by definition and by nature. AAS done properly will fix the rushing thing and still allow the entire map to be utilised, without artificial movement restrictions burdening the players.

On 03/08/2017 at 4:13 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

Stifling the non-linear and fluid nature of the gameplay in Squad seems counterproductive to me.

Totally true. I would suggest they call it something more relative to the actual game-mode - like Conqeust, rather than AAS.

Edited by LaughingJack
spellnigs ;P

17 hours ago, Smee said:

How about, if your not at the point of attacking the flag you can't contest it. So if the enemy the has attack advantage they will cap with even one in the flag zone., no matter how many enemy.

That's a great idea in my opinion.I have been thinking about this for a while as well and that would be a good solution.you can already cap flags with 1 person if they have not been touched yet rather if they have been touched it takes 3.  Why not extend that idea to solve this problem as well. If you cannot cap a flag out of sequence you should not be able to block etheir. Would make getting back caped a bit dicey tho

Yep. The AASv() is broken in some parts, I not wonder it anymore since I heard how it were implemented to PR as BF player from 3rd party mod (with permission) without true knowledge of the mode itself to fix the worst parts of the Conquest mode as seen on BF series. It is pretty frustrating to play now when you have seen how fluently it could work.

All those "lets put access restriction here or there" are going to ruin the whole great idea of the wast open maps in Squad. It can be done without limits and if the limits are implemented it definedly is not an Advance and Secure nomore.

From: https://www.tacticalgamer.com/forum/simulation/squad/1793333-rushing-meta-discussion-of-poor-flag-layout

It is a flaw in SQD AAS game mechanics implementation. If the round wouldn't start with all neutral CPs this problem would be solved automaticly. There is also other small things that should be changed for AAS to really flourish as a gamemode. The 1st AAS iteration back in 2004 were spot on in so many ways, while game itself had many quirks. Less and bigger CPs or more people (as a on/off limit) wouldn't be necessery a solution, atleast as a gamewide (containing public and "private" servers) long term solution.

I just hope the final implementation is atleast somewhat recognizable to AAS if not it should have a new name.

A few things:
AAS is a semi strategic and tactical gamemode, with claws and tooths back and forth fighting of objectives at pretermined order. It is not your diehard strategic warsimulation mode, but a fun, easy to jump in ultimate skirmish mode.

It should have:
* A spawn queue so that if whole team is wiped out, it can not spawn simultatneusly from one point (except main base), but the dispersion of "reserve units" in this case needs some though what is the most beneficial for the team.

* The CPs should have the most strategic importance in the map. This could be created in many ways. ie. that FOBs could be only placed on the CP areas and the ownership of CP area is determinated who have a functional FOB in there.

* The points system should give a push to recapturing bases to create situation where frontline moves back and forth during the round. (with somewhat balanced or Lucky! teams)

* The capturing order must be linear, but should allow parallel spots with group of areas need to gain ownership to go deeper to enemy territory.

* The CPs should have assets generated on them, ie. low powered vehicles. (depentend of the map designers thoughts)

* The CPs thoughness (the time and troops overpower compared to another team) should be possible to set on design level. IE. some important flags could have two times longer reclaim time, so CP swapping gample needs much more thought and coordination in places.

* The round should be end when team doesn't have any CPs under control (except main) and the winner in this case is obviously the team that have the whole map under control.

* The winning team should be the one who owns more area (CPs). IT does create those we need that area at all cost situations, which in the end creates really epic fights if both teams knows what they are doing (since with defence you should be able to keep the control with less resources if defence is thought out and game mechanics aren't totally senile).

* Only the border CPs middle of the capping string should be neutral (or all CPs could be split between teams at the beginning, without any neutrals) at the beginning of the round all others closer to the main bases are owned by the respective team.

* The spawning at the beginning of the round can happen from any owned CP not just the mainbase.

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

LugNut   

Randomly spawned caps that are hidden until you cap the current point, would make rushing riskier. It would still make controlling territory important, so you would still have fluid, non linear fighting to destroy the enemy's supply chain and movement more than sitting in an empty cap waiting for it to become active. I find the current rushing meta uninteresting gameplay except for the first 5 minutes. You either wipe or get wiped. 

Edited by LugNut

tatzhit   
27 minutes ago, LugNut said:

Randomly spawned caps that are hidden until you cap the current point, would make rushing riskier. It would still make controlling territory important, so you could still have fluid, non linear the enemy's supply chain and movement more than sitting in an empty cap waiting for it to become active. I find the current rushing meta uninteresting gameplay except for the first 5 minutes. You either wipe or get wiped. 

+1

embecmom   

Rushing does one thing.. pulls resources from the rushing team.. to combat rush then just overload the first couple of points... they wont have a fob and will need to spawn back at their base... if you don't like the rush tactic then stick to modes like invasion

On 04/08/2017 at 1:17 PM, embecmom said:

Rushing does one thing.. pulls resources from the rushing team.. to combat rush then just overload the first couple of points... they wont have a fob and will need to spawn back at their base... if you don't like the rush tactic then stick to modes like invasion

It's a tricky one.  Whilst they've committed resources that could be used to reinforce other areas of the battle, they have in essence occupied one, or potentially two squads from the opposing team and delayed their deployment too, because unless that point gets captured, the team isn't going anywhere.

But as you say, if squads communicate, a successful push by the other team to stall the rushers at one of their uncapped objectives is more than enough to restore the battle to equilibrium.

With all that being said, I've always found rushing objectives to be a really cheap tactic that often sends one team into disarray for either a good 5 minutes whilst they quash the threat, or, if the rush is particularly effective), for the whole game.

And if that happens you can't really have a good match because the rest of the squads that sit there twiddling their thumbs, often find themselves having to trudge all the way back to the firstborn objective just to shoo off kamikaze BTR pirate raiders whilst the other team end up pushing all the way forward to their opponents main base and no-one really gets to imitate any manauevers, cunning plots or fight any game swaying battles because most of the fighting hasn't really left one teams first capable points.

Still, rushing with speed and aggressiveness in an attempt to catch your opponent off guard has always been a viable tactic that has been used by military commanders for thousands of years, and I don't think Squad should be about limiting what legitimate tactics teams can use to win battles.

Maamyyra   

Just change the count of players needed to cap flags. Atm you can cap any neutral flag with just one guy, but if it would need almost a squad then the pace would be much slower than now.

Sure the rushing could still be valid tactic, but you will need much more players capping the earlier flags so it can cost you a game.

Hide every cap zone and have it randomised to where they appear across the map so teams cannot prearrange how / where to go. This way both teams cannot rush because there be unsure where the next cap zone is going to spawn. Could even include a 5 min timer after capping before next cap zone shows on the map forcing teams to set defensive lines up before moving on... kinda like INS mode spots spawn.  

Squad is getting a little boring with everyone doing the same things. Fobs end up in same locations every game and mostly the same tactics of movement get used.

6 hours ago, embecmom said:

don't allow fob placement in enemy territory until previous flag is capped... 

yeah, like AAS should be: cannot proceed-to-the-next (or: place FOB) unless the previous is capped/owned - sequential and linear.