eggman

SL map suggestion - show FOB build circumference and FOB distance circumfrence

eggman   

SL map suggestion - show FOB build circumference and FOB distance circumference. Hacked representation of the concept below. Should only be viewable by SLs. Would also apply to the friendly FOB placement marker. Would not apply to enemy FOB markers.

This would simplify the understanding of FOB minimum distance and FOB build radius.

SquadSL-map-fb-overlay.thumb.jpg.8a0c79ebca3b5554fa671d0d2d440334.jpg

Cheers,

egg

As long as it's fairly unobtrusive or even if it was a toggle, I'm all for it. Simplifying the understanding for a key mechanic in the game helps out newer SLs especially. And we all know competent SLs are the backbone of a good Squad experience. 

Psyrus   

In PR I would be against this, but as Squad is generally billed to be more accessible than its predecessor, I would be onboard with this. On a personal level, I would rather have it be something that I could mouse-over a fob and see where the 400m range is, or have a measuring tool available, but thinking about the average player, simply having it available on the map at all times would be the optimal solution. 

I wouldn't mind a "map overlay transparency" slider, to allow me to make it less obtrusive when I already have a decent idea of how far 400m is on various maps anyway. 

eggman   

I think a "layers" toggle in the map could be useful. Might not ever be more than one "info layer", but the ability to turn that on and off would be useful. Default to on, let the player decide if they want to turn it off, remember their choice.

'Overlay' sounds like the way to go. I would also like to know how circles, filled or not, can be drawn onto the map in UE4, for modding purposes, if this ever actually happens.

LugNut   

I would support this, mainly because even though it's a gamey tool, I find having to keep bouncing around trying to get the right offset in tight maps even more silly. "Ok guys, I'm going to drop a fob here. Nope, lets try this compound. Nope, maybe on the other side of the street...."

Having a toggled layer would be ideal.

2 hours ago, LugNut said:

I would support this, mainly because even though it's a gamey tool, I find having to keep bouncing around trying to get the right offset in tight maps even more silly. "Ok guys, I'm going to drop a fob here. Nope, lets try this compound. Nope, maybe on the other side of the street...."

This. This is my life

eggman   

I have fingerprints all over the right side of my monitor from "measuring" the 400m distance :P

Aside from the "friendly" FOB marker showing the distance and build circumference, and the existing FOBs having a toggle to show the circles... a mappable key command for "FOB dropped on my position" that you could quickly press and see the circles in the map would be helpful. That would be based on the SLs current location being where they drop the radio. You could then very quickly see the impacts of dropping an FOB on your current location.

A bit gamey, but would help with positioning the radio in a way that allows for hab / fortification / weapon emplacements in good positions. Less gamey than moving 5m and trying again and again imo.

Too much clutter already with the fob location tab for noobs overlapping on people's smaller monitors. Less is more. Besides, the map grid shows it accurately already.

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Too much clutter already with the fob location tab for noobs overlapping on people's smaller monitors. Less is more. Besides, the map grid shows it accurately already.

A dynamic map might be useful though. So say if you have lots of deployables, HAB's, FOB's and such cluttered in a close proximity, your cursor shifts icons out the way or maybe brings them to the foreground when it hovers over particular them to make viewing things a bit more distinguished.

As you say, less is more, and I agree that tthe map tends to get a bit cluttered at times, so OW might want to figure out a way of making marker placement more efficient.

embecmom   
On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, LugNut said:

calling up a map and placing markers on it and seeing all squads moving on that map is a gamey tool...but it would actually be useful

It would be useful but...

The mini map was made for a purpose,for example in Gorodok one small cube equals to 300m means you need one small cube and half to have 450m range between the first FOB and the second one you intend to build , a lot of SL's are still not aware that the 300m marking in the bottom right corner of the map needs to be used.

Sadly i will go for this tool you suggested,it will be more useful and relieve other SL's who don't use the map grid to build an FOB properly and contribute in winning the game.

Edited by Mister Skippy