I know it would probably fall low on the teams list of priorities, but a feature that allowed you to  save matches and watch a playback of them from the main menu in a "videos" tab would be quite nice.

The user would then be able to have a choice of first or third person, and would be able to pan the camera about the map. Comms chatter would also be recorded and could be switched on and off through a toolbar.

A lot of people use software that records in game content as they play, but this limits the user to only to what they can see.

The ability to pan across the map and watch each team mobilise and counteract each other would be useful in refining strategies, getting to grips with the game and also might allow users to create a selection of more interesting video content to go with the game and share with the community.

It's use might also be applied to better policing servers and investigating incidents where players are generally making a nuisance of themselves and spoiling the game for others.

Its just a thought anyway. I appreciate there are much more pressing concerns to be dealt with in terms of development at the minute.

Yes wonderful idea but not sure how it's gonna work here.

In other games the replay file will measure between 3-10 MBs as for squad,the game runs for a longtime and i don't think we're gonna have files in megabytes lol

Psyrus   
1 hour ago, Mister Skippy said:

In other games the replay file will measure between 3-10 MBs as for squad,the game runs for a longtime and i don't think we're gonna have files in megabytes lol

Yeah with hour+ games, the file sizes can get quite big. Project reality's files can be 30 or 40 megabytes for a couple hours long match

http://eu1.prta.co/servers/prbf2/5/br/

Quality also makes a difference, if you only save every 10th tick or whatever, it saves a lot of file space but creates "laggy" recordings. 

2 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Yeah with hour+ games, the file sizes can get quite big. Project reality's files can be 30 or 40 megabytes for a couple hours long match

http://eu1.prta.co/servers/prbf2/5/br/

Quality also makes a difference, if you only save every 10th tick or whatever, it saves a lot of file space but creates "laggy" recordings. 

I know what you're saying. When I first thought about it, it did seem like the recordings would eat away at storage space what with the sheer amount of data it would have to track and store. Wether their would be some way to compress the file data, I'm not sure.

Running the footage so it takes a recording at set intervals would definitely help, but I don't think it would quite deliver the immersion people would want.

20 hours ago, mangoman65 said:

I know it would probably fall low on the teams list of priorities, but a feature that allowed you to  save matches and watch a playback of them from the main menu in a "videos" tab would be quite nice.

The user would then be able to have a choice of first or third person, and would be able to pan the camera about the map. Comms chatter would also be recorded and could be switched on and off through a toolbar.

A lot of people use software that records in game content as they play, but this limits the user to only to what they can see.

The ability to pan across the map and watch each team mobilise and counteract each other would be useful in refining strategies, getting to grips with the game and also might allow users to create a selection of more interesting video content to go with the game and share with the community.

It's use might also be applied to better policing servers and investigating incidents where players are generally making a nuisance of themselves and spoiling the game for others.

Its just a thought anyway. I appreciate there are much more pressing concerns to be dealt with in terms of development at the minute.

Johnny Omaha streams matches on Twitch that replicate pretty much everything you speak of. Check him out sometime. The game itself doesn't need to bogged down with that capability when Twitch does it much better. 

3 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Johnny Omaha streams matches on Twitch that replicate pretty much everything you speak of. Check him out sometime. The game itself doesn't need to bogged down with that capability when Twitch does it much better. 

I just watched a bit of his stream and it was all shot via first person from his perspective. Maybe I caught it at the wrong moment, but I didn't see any third person perspective of the fighting.

I'm talking more about achieving a Total War kind of perspective of battles, where you can pan through the battle on the fly, albeit from a more focused perspective.

That being said Twitch is always a solid platform to share great moments within the game.

I completely agree the games overall performance shouldn't get bogged down or suffer through focusing huge amounts of resources on capturing the data needed for playback.

Arcapse   

There's already something in-game, a UE4 feature called Demo Recording. It saves the gameplay of a round, allowing you to spectate as if you were in admin cam.

It's only accessible to server admins and is also quite broken and bare bones.

Like you, I really hope this gets worked on, but I'd happily take new content updates over this.

plissken   

This would be an amazing feature for Squad, especially for streaming matches. It would allow for streaming a match with with "delay" (which is necessary to prevent ghosting), yet the streamer would still be watching and commentating the match at the same clock-time as his viewers, which is much missed (possible since he would stream off the demo recording, rather than using the admin-cam then streaming it with delay).

Not to mention that referees would barely be needed for matches, if the match could be watched in its totality afterwards, in case someone was suspicious. 

Also it would be really handy for saving those epic moments, perfect for youtubers.