Sign in to follow this  
LaughingJack

JO Maps - by LJ

Hi All,

I have a passion for Joint Operations (JO). It was honestly one of the best games i have ever had the good fortune to play. This has lead me to picking up Squad, as it is the only game going-anywhere that offered so much potential for modding, and has even allowed me to dream of playing something resembling JO again.

I will be doing a number of re-imagined JO Maps, following as closely to the originals where possible, and posting in here with pictures of my progress. I hope that the maps i make will make their way into Squad-proper but even if they don't or are unpopular i am also creating these assets - as well as numerous others - for a hope-to-be-completed mod of Squad called, tentatively, Squad_JO, which will attempt to emulate the game-play and style of JO using Squad as a base game.

The Maps I plan on doing:

** scroll down and go to the Album (labeled in blue) **

1. Black Rock Beach > 2x2 kM (shared with SSLM)

2. Dormant Volcano Isle > 1x1 kMOriginal Dormant Volcano Isle map

3. Twin Islands > 2x2kM

4. Sungai Sabe Lumber Mill > 2x2 kM (shared with BRB)

* possibly Tobo Wetlands and others as well.

I will also be making some non-JO related maps as well. These will be, atm, Flinders Island and Wilsons Promontory.

Constructive help and comments are more than welcome  :)

Cheers!

.LJ

Edited by LaughingJack

CptDirty   

On that note, I'm unsure if SQUAD will ever have amphibious or boats/crafts but if that's every going to be implemented I would be stoked for it. Personally I was always a big fan of the early Battlefield 2 era with maps that had big aircraft carriers that the U.S. team started on and had to take boats/jets/helicopters and assault the land (golf of oman, wake island, Sharqi Peninsula, etc...).

I think that maybe you could start a map project and leave a large chunk of water for a time where SQUAD will implement water vehicles and have one side (U.S. Nimitz or RU Admiral Kuznetsov) start on an aircraft carrier and be forced to use amphibious landings. GARRRRRRR CANT WAIT!@#!@#!@#

3 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

Hi All,

I have a passion for Joint Operations (JO). It was honestly one of the best games i have ever had the good fortune to play. This has lead me to picking up Squad, as it is the only game going-anywhere that offered so much potential for modding, and has even allowed me to dream of playing something resembling JO again.

I will be doing a number of re-imagined JO Maps, following as closely to the originals where possible, and posting in here with pictures of my progress. I hope that the maps i make will make their way into Squad-proper but even if they don't or are unpopular i am also creating these assets - as well as numerous others - for a hope-to-be-completed mod of Squad called, tentatively, Squad_JO, which will attempt to emulate the game-play and style of JO using Squad as a base game.

The Maps I plan on doing:

** scroll down and go to the Album (labeled in blue) **

1. Black Rock Beach > 2x2 kM (shared with SSLM)

2. Dormant Volcano Isle > 1x1 kMOriginal Dormant Volcano Isle map

3. Twin Islands > 2x2kM

4. Sungai Sabe Lumber Mill > 2x2 kM (shared with BRB)

I will also be making some non-JO related maps as well. These will be, atm, Flinders Island and Wilsons Promontory.

Constructive help and comments are more than welcome  :)

Cheers!

.LJ

There are a few of us Delta Force mappers that could help you. The three maps I've made so far are more in the genre of DF:LW and DF:TFD though. First and foremost you need to get high resolution images of the maps to make height fields. Either that or you could simply make the terrain from scratch. Everything else I reckon could be made with the in game assets except for the Zodiacs and Choppers.

cheers guys.

@CptDirty: watercraft will have to come at some point, somehow (e-gads i hope so). If this happens i will be doing Twin Islands as per original - with the 1 - 1.5 kM gap between them ;)

@_randombullet: that's what i'm hoping to end up doing as well.

@Zylfrax791: actually the terrains are not really the hard part due to my having Nile and JO(-E, -IC,) still installed. hieghtmaps are simply a matter of screenies of Niles Height-2D view - essentially a greyscale DEM. so unless i want to go fully-sick with terrain detail, they will do - not really interested in doing super hi-res terains tbh - that's more suitable for high-end games and cinematics. i'm using Terrasculpt to modify and output the masks etc.

9 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Zodiacs and Choppers.

yes! ... one day. :)

On these water maps, were there any sharks in the water?  so, if you got knocked in water from sinking or just went swimming you had a chance to get eaten by a shark or attacked by a shark and you had to defend yourself with a knife?  Be cool to have this... :)

great-white-shark_1558367c.jpg

6355110.jpg

Edited by XRobinson

Speaking of JO is it still possible to play online from the Novaworld lobby?

I haven't played it since three computers ago and wonder if it will even run because none of my other DF games will even start up after that Windoze "Creators Update" horse manure...

oh god, havn't done the Windoze Creator thing - i don't like the look of it - looks like more corporate-forced shovelware to me.

I still have JO(etc.) all instaled on my old W7 box and they run - the only thing (i found so far) don't work anymore is the screenshot mapping.

I jumped on OrangeBowl about 6+ months ago, but heard that the servers were going down for good sometime soon (rumour only), so i don't know.

the US is pretty laggy but there's no servers i know of in Aus anymore, so not much choice :(

@XRobinson: hmm, you just got me thinking about Tactical Sharks ... :ph34r: