-MG

MLRS/Field artillery tank ?.

Even though i already know the anwser probably i still wanted to ask/discuss....
Since the insurgents got a MI 24 pod on a techy, will the other factions also get a sort of rocket launching system ? or artillery tanks ?.  

Since these vehicles are pretty powerful by default, the reloadtime could be upped a bit so they can't be abused and instead of having them use a ''GPS system'' have a computer screen showing in which a player has to ''turn knobs'' to put in the bearing and mills like a mortar etc...etc...

Below i got some exaples per faction, unfortunately i can't post anything about the tanks since i do not know anything about them. 

Russia - Bm27 Uragan - 16x220mm rockets

Militia - Bm21 Grad - 40x122mm rockets

USA & UK - MLRS 270 - 12x m26 Dual purpose armamment

Those really are strategic assets with ranges of 20 clicks or more and the capability to wipe whole squares of the map. Plus they take like hour+ to reload I think. They would be out of place in a game like Squad. 
Although nowadays, because fewer actual infantrymen are involved in combat, MLRS are sometimes called in even for company-level engagements.

23 minutes ago, tatzhit said:

Those really are strategic assets with ranges of 20 clicks or more and the capability to wipe whole squares of the map. Plus they take like hour+ to reload I think. They would be out of place in a game like Squad. 
Although nowadays, because fewer actual infantrymen are involved in combat, MLRS are sometimes called in even for company-level engagements.

I figured the range would be an issue for the maps, but will be a neat solution for fobs :P .
Then again a really good Tank gunner with an HE round will give a similiar effect i guess

Edited by -MG

Like the idea, certainly for SPG's and portable mortars. Wouldn't say no to an MLRS either. Implementation might be difficult, so that they're not too powerful (or only with good skill and teamwork for a few shots in the case of MLRS and howitzers), but not so constrained they only become a gimmick.

The effect would be somewhat different... the M270 MLRS mainly uses rockets with submunitions (a whopping 644 or 518 per rocket, 12 rockets per MLRS)

the MLRS is sometimes referred to as the "Grid Square Removal System"

Add the TOS-1 for the russian faction, minimum range is 400m and it will obliberate anything in it's path XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fUgOJpuf50

MLRS is extreamly powerful and will break the game balance, the same applies to other weapon systems (and loadouts) like:

-AH-64 with 16x hellfire
-Mi-24 with 128x 57mm rockets.
-A-10 with all types of CBU
-Bombers (B52, B2, F111, Su-24,...)

I think off-map artillary is going to provide the effect you're thinking about. However if we do end up getting massive maps like the one in the playtest a little while back I could see this happening.

Edited by Catindabox

Smaller artillery pieces like 

Type 63 1200px-H12_Type_63_multiple_rocket_launc

Grad-P grad-p.jpg

2B9 Vasilek 1280px-2B9_Vasilek_mortar-4058.JPG

these ones with shorter range could work in the Squad

but big boys witch you listed there won't

I was strictly talking about the big boys :D, you know...like if you're losing a cap you can call in Artillery fire to stop an enemy push or something like it. 
Mortars are noice, i like em. Great for psychological warfare and masking up sound like footsteps from a squad. But they do little damage, unless one drop  right untop of your head. 

But like said, range is an issue. But whoever played Squad before vehicles came in knows that the maps arent that small when you need to run xD 

Before thinking it will break the balance we should try it and maybe remove it next. When choppers will come out they will rekt artillery so I don't worry too much about the balance. 

When it comes for artillery i would presonally would loveeeee to see something like an artillery tank like the m109

. i imgine something like this ... On big maps a team could get 2-3 of these operated by 1 person each ( i know it usally requires around 7 but still ... ) and that person would only be able to ethier move or shoot ( as it is used in real life ) so people won't use it on the frontline like a normal battle tank ... It's gonna be like a mortar squad but a bit more spiecal with different artillary rounds .

Edited by L0cation

Self-propelled mortars would be a more likely fit IMO.

2S9 Nona

2S9_Nona-S_727th_Btln_77th_Marine_Bde_9.

Basically a 120mm mortar mounted to a BTR-D chassis. It would fit the Russian and Militia factions quite nicely.

M1129

maxresdefault.jpg

The familiar Stryker, mounted with a 120mm mortar.

FV432 with L16

FV432-Mortar-2005-Image-Credit-Cold-War-

Unfortunately for the British, they've only gone so far as to mounting 81mm mortars into their vehicles. Can carry a whopping 160 rounds which would give them less punch but more sustained fire.

Tactical Geely

medleb-130313-109.jpg

Technically speaking the Insurgents don't even need a mortar carrier thanks to their improvised rocket artillery. Just thought I'd add this for fun.

Atm insurged artillery rocket jeep is pretty useless : it's was too difficult to aim, cost too much tickets and bla bla bla. 

What about the ticket cost for your vehicules suggestions ?

2 hours ago, Bonnie Money said:

Atm insurged artillery rocket jeep is pretty useless : it's was too difficult to aim, cost too much tickets and bla bla bla. 

What about the ticket cost for your vehicules suggestions ?

Yea we gotta do something about the insurgents artillery jeep ... Make it that you can atleast somewhat aim with it .

I personally suggested to have a m109 which i guess should cost around the same as an APC.

56 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

Brigade/division level 155mm howitzer for 50 men team by the price of armored truck?

Maybe for a price of a main battle tank or a chopper for something like a m109 ...  I mean i think that the prices for corrent vehicles will be lowered when we get heavier assets.  

On 14-9-2017 at 3:26 PM, Kern said:

Self-propelled mortars would be a more likely fit IMO.

2S9 Nona

2S9_Nona-S_727th_Btln_77th_Marine_Bde_9.

Basically a 120mm mortar mounted to a BTR-D chassis. It would fit the Russian and Militia factions quite nicely.

M1129

maxresdefault.jpg

The familiar Stryker, mounted with a 120mm mortar.

FV432 with L16

FV432-Mortar-2005-Image-Credit-Cold-War-

Unfortunately for the British, they've only gone so far as to mounting 81mm mortars into their vehicles. Can carry a whopping 160 rounds which would give them less punch but more sustained fire.

Tactical Geely

medleb-130313-109.jpg

Technically speaking the Insurgents don't even need a mortar carrier thanks to their improvised rocket artillery. Just thought I'd add this for fun.

Meh, i specifically went for MLRS to bring large scale damage and mental warfare. Current mortars have little damage when the drop next to you unless you get one to the dome. So bringing in mobile mortars is almost the same, not completely useless obviously but.... 

1 hour ago, -MG said:

Meh, i specifically went for MLRS to bring large scale damage and mental warfare. Current mortars have little damage when the drop next to you unless you get one to the dome. So bringing in mobile mortars is almost the same, not completely useless obviously but.... 

current maps we have are just too small for the big pieces

Edited by Marijuanoz

14 minutes ago, Marijuanoz said:

current maps we have are just too small for the big pieces

I'm very wel aware of that, even for artillery tanks.

Some of you forget why the Insurgents got the rocket technical in the first place,because thy where overpower by any other opponent in game.

24 minutes ago, Bahrein said:

Some of you forget why the Insurgents got the rocket technical in the first place,because thy where overpower by any other opponent in game.

They were nice toys for psychological pressure....but effective not at all due lack of accuracy. Mi24 with blind angle firing is spoopy none the less.
I mainly came with this suggestion to introduce heavy support for areas that are highly contested and could use that firepower. We all been in a tug war game on a cap that took way too long for the game to progress anywhere.  

3 minutes ago, -MG said:

They were nice toys for psychological pressure....but effective not at all due lack of accuracy. Mi24 with blind angle firing is spoopy none the less.
I mainly came with this suggestion to introduce heavy support for areas that are highly contested and could use that firepower. We all been in a tug war game on a cap that took way too long for the game to progress anywhere.  

Thats not a bad idea but manly for bigger maps.Just my opinion

8 hours ago, Bahrein said:

Thats not a bad idea but manly for bigger maps.Just my opinion

Totally, after all MLRS/Artillery tanks are for long range engagements. But for some reasons i consider certain current maps  pretty large.....i got squad when it was in late V6. You ever ran on foot around Fools road or gorodok....it felt like hours. 

1 hour ago, -MG said:

Totally, after all MLRS/Artillery tanks are for long range engagements. But for some reasons i consider certain current maps  pretty large.....i got squad when it was in late V6. You ever ran on foot around Fools road or gorodok....it felt like hours. 

It's not a essential to have huge maps for something like this , games have always limiting weapon capabillties compared to real life just to make it present in the game and fun to play , things like lock on ranges for missiles ( if they'll ever arrive ) probably will be greatly reduced ) , i personally would really like to see an artillary battery squad with like 3 m109 ( that would have thier shooting range greatly reduced ) , move with the rest of team and always stay just a little bit away from the action ( but enough to actually havr the chance to encounter enemies , making the role dangerous and fun ) and provide powerful fire support at the request of squad leaders , while being constantly resupplied with supply runs , and advance with the movement of team for the next objective . 

Edited by L0cation