Sign in to follow this  
nordstage

Help with terrain creation

Hey guys! I'm new to modding and currently trying to work out what tools to use and what money (if any) to spend.

I've used the free version of World Machine to create and import a terrain to UE4, and as I understand it the map size is much too small for use in Squad.

I'm wondering if it's realistic to create good terrains from scratch within UE4, and if not, what can I do without spending money on height field generators?

Axton   

It's perfectly realistic to sculpt your own terrain, however keep in mind that for large, vertical terrains painting the landscape will be a chore. Generally hand sculpting only works well for flat levels. (For example, Al Basrah was all hand sculpted by chancebrahh)

You could also grab a heightmap image from the googles and mess about with it - as a starting point.

For any images you have that are too small (less than 1000x1000, or so) you can use Gimp or Photoshop to upscale the image. This will lead to some over exageration of contours and heights in the map, but these can easily be sculpted inside UE to make them look nice. The maps i'm making atm are derived from 900'odd pixel screenshots from within another game editor, which i then have to stick(tile) together in Gimp - they've come out pretty good considering and i'm more than happy with them, considering that like you i don't want to have to fork out on even more software for what amounts to a hobby, when i have alternatives and my own abilities to rely on.

Edited by LaughingJack