Paco   

I'm new to the game, and would really like to improve my skills - particularly skills that involve team work, like clearing rooms and suppressing fire.

Playing the game is fine, but its always with a random bunch of people and I often find it hard to coordinate with the other squad members.

Is there a way to train in the game? If I managed to find a few other players interesting in doing this - is the only way to try and join the same squad on an existing server? Can you make a private server to run drills on?

ZXD_Lee   

The only way is to rent a server or maybe borrow a server! 

Or even join a clan and train with them

if you join a clan you'll be able to play every night with them everyone will be communicating and working together 

you can't really get 100% out of squad all the time when playing with public players and me personally find it extremely difficult to play in a public squad 

Join a clan or team. Stick with them for the coming years.

ZXD_Lee which clan are you in?

Edited by Andersson

-MG   

All i'll say is join a milsim unit or milsim like clan. You'll be good....you'll get to play with people who do what you're looking for. 
Other then that, if you need some tips or whatever let me know, After 6000+ hours in Arma and 1000 in Squad i think it's safe to say that i know a thing or 2.   

ZXD_Lee   

Mil sim doesn't work in squad at all, any competitive clan will tell you that!

even semi competitive matches like CCFN it doesn't work, and anyone trying to play in a milsim way gets totally destroyed 

Skul   
8 hours ago, Paco said:

I'm new to the game, and would really like to improve my skills

Well, Squad is one of the most demanding games in terms of amount of skills it demands for a player to be good at a the game: understanding strategy, tactics; high reaction times; grenade usage; proper controls layout; amount of actions a player is able to do per second and tonns of others.

8 hours ago, Paco said:

particularly skills that involve team work

Bind your map to left ALT or Spacebar. Spam it as much as you can. Bind "Enter" key to some of the mouse buttons. Spam it simultaneously with map button.  From the very first minutes you'll see that most of the people are playing this game in the wrong way, they're slow and don't understand what they're doing. One of the reasons is because they don't open their map almost at all.

8 hours ago, Paco said:

like clearing rooms

You clear rooms with HE grenades, grenade launcher or HE RPG rounds.

You don't trade kills in Squad like in CS or whatever.

You don't even want to come to your teammates closer than 1 GL/RPG/HE/Mortar shells radius(unless reviving/healing and such), so you don't get 'naded yourself because of your teammate and your teammate don't get 'naded because of you.

8 hours ago, Paco said:

suppressing fire.

non-existent. Do not open fire unless you're 100% sure you will make that kill.

You want to kill enemies, not to signal your enemies your exact position.

That's 2 very common mistakes most players make: suppressive fire and positioning. Don't 'suppress' enemy and don't take positions that your teammates already took.

8 hours ago, Paco said:

Is there a way to train in the game?

Yes, when you go to Firing Range, you're an admin on your own local server. You can open a console(~ key) and change your map. Here's an article about server administration:

https://squad.gamepedia.com/Server_Administration

Edited by Skul

Skul   
1 hour ago, ZXD_Lee said:

Mil sim doesn't work in squad at all, any competitive clan will tell you that!

Milsimming Squad can be compared to milsimming Starcraft 2 or CSGO.

Except for the fact that Squad is a much better competitive game than CSGO and Starcraft 2 combined and then multiplied: smaller amount of randomness, much bigger skill border needed to enter the game, harder to master, much bigger skill gap between lamers, noobs and best players in the game.

One will have much better luck milsimming CSGO or Starcraft 2 than Squad.

Edited by Skul

-MG   
5 minutes ago, Skul said:

understanding strategy, tactics; high reaction times; grenade usage; proper controls layout; amount of actions a player is able to do per second and tonns of others.

This....

-MG   

I wasn't speaking in terms of milsim RP.

- More in terms of proper infantry and vehicular tactics and strategy and using weaponry and vehicles as they where designed.

Here's a simple strategy; use an APC's range to pin the enemy, split your squad in 2 fireteams and have them flank while using as much concealment/cover and hold fire unless spotted. 

Very simple, if properly executed you can take over a cap. And i already been in games where this worked, one time it went easy the other time we got alot of resistance. 

But how many do that ?. Exactly, you'll see the opposite....''The APC get's used as a battletank with reactive armour, blown up in 5 seconds on the cap. 
And the squad is moving in one huge ant colony, skylining right untop of a hill cuz why not ?. We like to get shot by optics no ?. And if we do get into the cap an half assed job is being done on covering and half an enemy squad seeps in shooting everyone''

So i think, approaching Squad in a milsim way isnt that bad eh ???.

Edited by -MG

Paco   

Sounds like finding a clan is the way to go... but do they train?

I have no problem learning in game, but if I've only got 30 mins to spare I feel a bit bad joining and then leaving before the match is finished. Also I like polishing specific skills (apparently shooting straight is something I need to learn), which I find easier to do if i can drill it in with high-frequency repetition.

Popo   

Join a clan. That way you will spend more hours playing. More hours usually make you better. Plus you will have opportunity to use that clans experience, and there is no experience like that you gain playing comp matches.

suds   

If you go into the Firing Range mode and do 60 Prone Crouch Stand Prone actions every day for about a month then you will become very powerful. Be sure to balance this with some running and a good diet.

Shooting can be polished in the shooting range, pretty effectively. You just need to try combine movement, repetition and randomness. Something like in this old clip of mine, made in moment of anger.

You also can train with the nades and other heavy weaponry.

Just try to play it like you would be playing some caveshooter like Quake or Unreal Tournament, while shooting a statics so your own movement compensates the lack of moving targets. It is also important to repeatedly change the distance of the target while doing the drills. First you need to get your accurary in the ball park with static objects and static shooting position though.

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

Cavazos   

You should join a few groups to see how their training is. Clans usually just get together, and MILSIM units usually have training but they are very simulating of a military environment which doesn't translate completely into the game. You can also try SquadOps.

Good training comes down to a good instructor who has a lot of experience and knows where to draw the line between what works in game and doesn't. That will be hard to find though.

Your best bet is to find a group you like and over time, playing together makes you into a better team. That's half of training right there. Consistently playing together.