Zylfrax791

Squad & Civilians

Awhile back somebody started a thread about how they felt that the buildings in Al Basrah seemed "empty" because of lack of furniture etc. That said, I think I pointed out that on Chora whomever the dev was went bananas and loaded up every single house with furniture, stoves and even watermelon in bowls. 

This got me thinking a lot about his perception of the emptiness and I finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't so much the lack of goodies in the structures as it was the lack of real people and their animals in the game environments. Because face it, in all these conflicts that Squad simulates there are in fact civilians present in real life.

Upon further examination I then reflected on the many games I've played over the years and my interactions with these single player mode civilian NPC's and tried to compare/contrast how they could possibly fit into the concept of a seemingly realistic military shooter like Squad. Certainly being penalized for shooting civilians in DF:BHD or the controversy about killing kids in Skyrim came to mind.

So yeah, the conclusion I came to was that it certainly would add a layer of immersion to Squad if there were random NPC farmers and goat herders in Chora for example or villagers huddled in their homes in Narva. Then the kicker would be their lives would cost you tickets. You would be able to bandage them and med pack them though. 

Any thoughts on this?

Seems like it would be pretty easy to add in game. Would help with immersion. Could add a totally new dimension with the ability to lose tickets with collateral damage. Sheep herders in the fields. Civilians running away from battles in the streets. Street vendors. 

Would probably also be a large hit on performance but I'm just assuming. Definitely would add to the immersion if they could fit it in the future

1 hour ago, LMR Sahara said:

Not too sure abotu Vanilla, but apparently Squad Ops has something planned for Civilian AI.

http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=187

Can't wait to see something like this... would definitely increase tension with scouts blending in with civilians, then BOOM! Hope it turns out well.

15 minutes ago, Arcapse said:

I'm pretty sure that NPCs have been confirmed to not appear in the base game, however I'm sure there will be a few mods for it (Squad Ops for example).

There's already a lot of posts about NPCs/Civilians:

http://forums.joinsquad.com/search/?&q=civilian&sortby=relevancy

Remember to search before you post!

"Before posting a new thread, please make use of the forum search to find older threads about the same topic. In doubt, it is recommended to rather post in an existing thread, unless that thread is years out of date. However, do not bump old threads without adding a new question / answer / insight that wasn’t in that thread before - use common sense."

Interestingly enough I've found that if you necrobump here you get chastised and if start new threads in similar topics to make new positive viewpoints you get negative snark as well. 

You know what? I get it buddy. After being here for around 8 months I've pretty much come to the conclusion that Squad and it's core community of original PR folks is an all inclusive club and that me and other folks like me that came later are to simply be tolerated, politely ignored and treated as afterthoughts at this point in the game. I get it. My opinions are garage and are better left unsaid because nobody cares. Thank you for the insight.

All inclusive means that you are completely accepted. You're thinking exclusive.
Anyway, I think you're wrong. Necroing a thread is okay, aslong as there is discussion to be had. If someone larks at you for it, it's most likely just the fact that necroing is generally considered bad on most forums.(unless its a mod)
There already is a dev response and thats should be it. Any discussion about civilian AI now is post-mortem.

On 27/07/2017 at 11:21 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

conclusion that Squad and it's core community of original PR folks is an all inclusive club and that me and other folks like me that came later are to simply be tolerated, politely ignored and treated as afterthoughts at this point in the game. I get it. My opinions are garage and are better left unsaid because nobody cares. Thank you for the insight.

Come on @Zylfrax791 don't be so sensitive.

I have no PR experience (aside from playing 2 servers once months back for about 5 minutes each) and I am fully accepted into Squad community. granted there's some 'interesting' personalities in our community, but that can be the internet!

Re the OP's main point:
'were random NPC farmers and goat herders in Chora for example or villagers huddled in their homes in Narva. Then the kicker would be their lives would cost you tickets. You would be able to bandage them and med pack them though.'

This for me falls into the world of mod's for Squad, and an interesting one.

Keep posting, keep within the rules and let's all have a blast!

i have a feeling once its apparent that the US or whichever team has a large ticket lead, they will massacre any civilians they come across. 

...because people live in buildings that are completely vacant of any furniture? That is even more annoying (and taxing) to add NPCs in those areas instead of props. People want it to LOOK lived in.

There aren't very many civilians that would hanging around in empty skyscrapers with mortars falling around- and even if there were then you'd need a whole entire interaction system which would end up being wonky and take away from the game itself- or they would just stand there and do nothing.

1 hour ago, Catindabox said:

...because people live in buildings that are completely vacant of any furniture? That is even more annoying (and taxing) to add NPCs in those areas instead of props. People want it to LOOK lived in.

There aren't very many civilians that would hanging around in empty skyscrapers with mortars falling around- and even if there were then you'd need a whole entire interaction system which would end up being wonky and take away from the game itself- or they would just stand there and do nothing.

Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq would like to have a word with you.

Acting as if not adding in props and instead using NPCs as a complete replacement would solve everything is an ignorant mindset.

In Squads quest for realism it's very apparent from statements made by the devs that there are definitely hard limits and boundaries and this game will instead eventually ship as a hybrid lite milsim/semi arcade shooter. I'm ok with that as it's a fun game in its current form.

That said, just to clarify as I understand it there will never ever be fragging, knives, giblets, civilian NPC's, female characters, TDM and numerous other things like stats, ranking and pay to play perks and items.

Posted (edited)

Uh, knives confirmed, also there was a shovel melee animation in the last recap i think.

*Edit: it was may recap

Edited by Frinz