tatzhit

Social interaction for pub players - the single biggest thing lacking in Squad?

Subj, basically. Currently, my biggest regret in Squad is inability to keep lasting connections with good players. I don't want to join or form a clan, but it would be nice to have a "Friend List" and connect with them somehow.

At the very least, have special symbols on scoreboard next to people you have previously marked as "Friend" and who confirmed it.
Maybe have an option to invite people onto your server from inside the game, or even pre-assemble squads before joining a server (although that would be problematic for full servers). Yes, I know similar things can be kinda-maybe-sometimes done via Steam or external communication services, but a game primarily centered on communication and teamplay would be much better off if players could organize without having to jump through hoops.

To give an example, World of Tanks is much more casual than Squad, but back in the day I was able to build up a core of "Friends" to play company games together using the game's social interaction mechanics, and we knew each other pretty well in-game. Heck, even the Wargame series allows you to keep a friend list and invite people to play with you, resulting in lasting in-game connections. Even the global game chat, even though it mostly consisted equal part of inane game mechanics arguments and trolling, was often useful to invite people to server, ask something quickly, or kill a few minutes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wargame/comments/4u8q3t/why_dose_warchat_seem_so_cancerous_at_times/

So, thoughts? Do you guys also think the lack of long-term player interaction in Squad is a huge issue, or am I the only one?
What specific mechanisms can you propose to improve lasting social interactions of players ingame?

Posted (edited)

I don't think it's a huge issue, and I also don't think the devs are blind to it, however, I agree with your idea in premise. Yeah, you can make someone a steam friend, but honestly, I don't really care to see them popup when they are playing other games that I don't have and tabbing out is a minor annoyance. It would be nice to have an easy to add to friends list and server favorites list, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't on the devs to-do list either. 

Something simple like a pull down on the scoreboard would work for me. 

Edited by LugNut

join the same few servers with the best pings at the same time of day and you will always see familiar faces

I often need to change servers because of the number of players following me around :P tough being a celebrity 

steam friends 

open the steam menu and add anyone from your current server

In steam click view>players and it shows your recent players you have played with and which and gives option to add friend.  If you play enough your start to see the same name on the same servers. 

they dont need this. It sounds like they will have some kind of ingame clan menus or something but just to keep in touch you have steam? Steam has a social hub. what smee said ^ It also says who are friends in the current game. I think steam should allow u to create categories of friends like u can in ur game library but that is a suggestion for them.

Would love to see this in Squad. I would also like to see some sort of clan management directly from squad. Or make an option to take your current squad into practice session and bring them back into same server after you are done with explanations.

Yeah, I use Steam options, but that doesn't solve the problem. Or rather, doesn't solve it as well as I'd like.
As I've said, even WoT or Wargame have social interactions integrated into the game much better than Squad does currently.

@tatzhit what specifically are u looking for then out of an ingame squad social hub? Like to view what servers your steam friends are currently in on the main menu? That would be nice. Maybe they will add it, they do that with counter strike and insurgency and i think Left 4 Dead 2 but having to add friends on squad that you already have on steam isnt necessary. again clan menus/whatever are supposed to be coming.

On 8/4/2017 at 9:45 PM, madcat768 said:

@tatzhit what specifically are u looking for then out of an ingame squad social hub? Like to view what servers your steam friends are currently in on the main menu? That would be nice. Maybe they will add it, they do that with counter strike and insurgency and i think Left 4 Dead 2 but having to add friends on squad that you already have on steam isnt necessary. again clan menus/whatever are supposed to be coming.

Well, let me put it this way. Squad is a game primarily about in-squad cooperation and teamwork, right? Working in close connection with other people? Then why the heck is forming long-term connections nearly impossible for pub players? You form bonds with 1-2 players for the duration of match, maybe a few matches on the same server, and then they're gone more or less forever. IRL, cooperation in military units is achieved through long-term training and experience, not by throwing random people together every half an hour and expecting them to act as a team.

For example, in WoT you entered company matches as a "squad" of 10 people. SL would start the squad and send invites to people he knows (he could see if they're online). Many of them would be playing together for months or even years. Squad could also be unlocked so pub players could enter and talk, proving they're competent. You could even check people's stats ingame  and see if they are good. Heck, I briefly logged into WoT two years after leaving it, and immediately a players asked me if I want to restart the old team. And, once again, this isn't clan matches. This is teams formed from pub players using in-game tools. This is what Squad should strive for.

Now, obviously, Squad operates under different server rules than WoT, but there are still numerous improvements that can be done:
1. Invite friends who are in-game onto your server/team
2. In addition to locked and unlocked Squads, make a setting for "friends only", and/or "friends preferred" (similar to how claimed vehicles work)

3. Possibly have a system where squads can be assembled in the "lobby", then enter the servers as a full squad. Maybe have servers that can only host 60 players and then have 20 slots reserved for full squads entering, or something to that effect

4. Create a separate ingame chat for your friends ingame (yes this can be done on Steam or Skype or something, I'm talking something intuitive that will operate ingame)

5. Keep Squads permanent between matches on the same server, i.e. as long as people didn't leave the server, they would start the next game in the same Squad as last match

I'm sure there are dozens of ways to do this, some probably a lot better than I could come up with. The point is, Squad could be so much more if you knew the people you were playing with - it's a game about teamwork, after all. Other games do it in a variety of ways, why not Squad?

I'll just  necro this thread because honestly I still feel a lack of social tools is the biggest detractor to Squad gameplay.

Yes, various crutches can be used. I can look up my squaddies in Steam overlay and chat them to try to get on the same server (except Steam overlay messes with my fps). I can use Discord. Or I can ask them for their cell phone numbers, then track them down and show up at their house at random times.

But a game which is primarily about teamwork and squad interaction shouldn't force players to resort to random out-of-game methods in order to keep in touch with each other.

There should be ingame buttons to "add friends", "chat currently online friends", "invite currently online friends to my squad", "make my squad open to friends only", etc. etc. Honestly, much less teamwork-oriented games like WoT and Wargame series have it all. Why not Squad?

Edited by tatzhit