cfg

"Custom" Graphics setting uses full VRAM even on lowest/off

Looked through my settings today and noticed that while my GPU usage was only 80% and CPU usage was at 35% my VRAM was maxed out. I have a 970 and know that using the full 4GB VRAM causes issues, so I wanted to get it under 3.5 GB. I had my 'optimized' settings with some high, some medium, some low, and most 'off', and when I turned it down to even the lowest settings on "Custom" my VRAM stayed pegged at 4GB and frames hovered at 40-50 even though it looked relatively awful. It was only when I used the "Low" preset that my VRAM more than halved down to 1.7 GB and my frames shot up to a steady 80-90 with a full 78 man server on Gorodok. Even though it looked the same (I wait until it re-renders on each change but effectively they are both the same settings) the frames nearly doubled. After testing out Medium and High I found that I can run the Epic preset with my little 970 and still hold roughly the same frames as my custom settings and the game looks FAR better. "High" looks alright but I kind of questioned when people called this game beautiful until I played Gorodok on Epic. It really does look amazing.  

There is a catch - if you want to run Low/Med/High/Epic preset you must run them as is. Changing any settings reverts it back to custom and can increase VRAM, which in my case causes issues. Despite dipping into the 30s and 40s occasionally, which still occurred on my lower custom settings, the game not only looked much better, but felt better and my shots landed more often (likely due to clarity of target). It may have been a placebo effect or simply due to no longer being at 4GB VRAM but I'll take it either way. 

Setup

CPU : 4790k 4.00 GHz clock

GPU : EVGA 970 SSC

RAM : 16 GB

Res: 2560x1080

Custom (All low/off or medium/high) : 35-50 frames on large maps, 45-60 on smaller maps

Low : 80-90 on large maps (Gorodok only tested so far)

Medium : 60-75 Gorodok

High: 50-65 Gorodok, 65-75 Sumari

Epic: 35-55 Gorodok, 60-70 Sumari

Cliffs: If you are running "Custom" settings, monitor your VRAM and watch how it changes with the graphics presets. If you can live with things like motion blur, you will likely have a much better looking game at similar FPS. Alternatively you could gain some frames at a similar quality with medium or high presets. 970 owners use the presets only.  

This may be old news but I have about 300 hours in the game and haven't seen anything about it in any optimization topics. The benefits may be isolated but I still feel like it's useful to bring up. I would also like to poll those with GPUs that have more than 4GB VRAM to see where the ceiling is on "Custom" with all Epic and everything turned on and see how they change with presets. Some people have tested this and noticed no difference -  but I can finally hold 60-70 frames on the smaller maps at the highest settings with just a 970. It may seem pretty simple.. "why didn't you just try it to begin with you derp" but I believe the default is High.. then I turned off preferences like Blur and Bloom, and it snowballed from there. I wanted to hold 60 before I realized it wasn't really possible on all maps.. and assumed I wouldn't be turning settings up to get the best experience before I found out about this custom settings issue.

Edited by cfg

The most I have used in 1440p, 1.5 resolution scaling and tournament settings is:

RAM: 12GB
VRAM: 10.8GB

Community settings are shadows medium or higher, view distance high or higher.

Anything else goes as you want, personally I switch everything off or to low to be as competitive as my rig can be to make up for poor eye sight and old age.........LOL. I'm still only ok but a man must try!

Almost 11 GB at 1440p 1.5x is nutty. I've heard of people running fairly demanding titles at nearly 8k res for that much, Squad definitely eats up the VRAM. Do you notice any difference in FPS/VRAM between your custom settings and the presets? IE if you go all low/off in Custom then select the low preset? 

If you have a 1080 Ti with 11GB then that makes me even more curious..

Edited by cfg

You can't use 4GB of VRAM on 970 as it have only 3.5 GB od VRAM... and still, best spotting in squad is going from low settings with Eye Adaptation turned ON and as high scaling as you can manage to get.

Squad is one of many games that rewards player for ULQ/high resolution settings.

5 hours ago, cfg said:

Almost 11 GB at 1440p 1.5x is nutty. I've heard of people running fairly demanding titles at nearly 8k res for that much, Squad definitely eats up the VRAM. Do you notice any difference in FPS/VRAM between your custom settings and the presets? IE if you go all low/off in Custom then select the low preset? 

If you have a 1080 Ti with 11GB then that makes me even more curious..

Thinking about it in 1,000 hours plus I never tried the presets! I shall try them out and get back to you.

OP, so you're saying that you went to the Low preset, and then put everything below on high / epic and it improved performance?

I wonder what is actually changed with the presets. Streaming poolsize limit for vram, drawdistance for certain objects and/or effects, audio channels.

It's probably just me but not knowing what causes the performance improvement sets me off on a wild google chase through the .ini's.

@smo0ths