Syruphs

Instead of a ranking system for Squad, why not an honor system?

Honoring Ranking.

So instead of having a rank due to hours and amount of kills/revives/etc deciding your rank, we should have a system where you can rank, or vote someone positively or negatively depending on your experience with that person.

A few examples would be if a Squad Leader is doing a good job at communicating information to their own squad from other squads, directing people, assigning tasks, overall being interactive, a player will be able to vote that person positively. Aside from just the Squad Leader, you will be able to vote fellow squad mates too. the ranking system could be based in regards to actual military ranking, as to keep linear with the reality aspect of Squad.

This system i believe would keep as well as bring people into the game for two reasons:
1)People who want to continue building a rank will continuously play in a positive manner and communicate to rank up. (unlike regular 'exp' ranking where it doesn't promote teamwork)

2)People would be attracted a bit more due to the focus of positive work & recognizing good behavior.

I would love to hear anybody's opinion in regards to this idea so i can also get a different perspective aside from mine.

2 hours ago, Syruphs said:

Honoring Ranking.

So instead of having a rank due to hours and amount of kills/revives/etc deciding your rank, we should have a system where you can rank, or vote someone positively or negatively depending on your experience with that person.

A few examples would be if a Squad Leader is doing a good job at communicating information to their own squad from other squads, directing people, assigning tasks, overall being interactive, a player will be able to vote that person positively. Aside from just the Squad Leader, you will be able to vote fellow squad mates too. the ranking system could be based in regards to actual military ranking, as to keep linear with the reality aspect of Squad.

This system i believe would keep as well as bring people into the game for two reasons:
1)People who want to continue building a rank will continuously play in a positive manner and communicate to rank up. (unlike regular 'exp' ranking where it doesn't promote teamwork)

2)People would be attracted a bit more due to the focus of positive work & recognizing good behavior.

I would love to hear anybody's opinion in regards to this idea so i can also get a different perspective aside from mine.

I love your idea but here is one reason proving that it cannot be implemented:

If people can see your honor they will always join your squad if you are an  S.

Meaning that the rest of the new squad leaders won't have players in their squad unless people who don't care about the honor system will join them

7 minutes ago, Mister Skippy said:

Meaning that the rest of the new squad leaders won't have players in their squad unless people who don't care about the honor system will join them

Only 8 people can join a squad, less if it's locked. That is a non issue imo. 

Edited by Psyrus

57 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Only 8 people can join a squad, less if it's locked. That is a non issue imo. 

It's not an issue but people will join other SL's unless there is no more squads left to join.

12 minutes ago, Mister Skippy said:

It's not an issue but people will join other SL's unless there is no more squads left to join.

If you pay attention, it currently is that way. Whenever you play a round with a squad that has a communicating SL, and teammates that are willing to work together, when the next round starts, you're going to want to join the squad that has that same SL that you previously had.

The only difference now is that you'll get recognition for being a good player.

and if anything, instead of applying negative connotations to people who aren't that great, we can just have the system in a positive matter:

Neutral - to ranked.

so the lowest you can drop is to have no rank which can symbolize in a sense, you being new to the game.

Any ranking system using any metric is open to abuse, whats to stop clans just all voting for each other regardless of merit. 

Playing on any server for a while you will soon know who the true good SL's are.

34 minutes ago, Syruphs said:

If you pay attention, it currently is that way. Whenever you play a round with a squad that has a communicating SL, and teammates that are willing to work together, when the next round starts, you're going to want to join the squad that has that same SL that you previously had.

The only difference now is that you'll get recognition for being a good player.

and if anything, instead of applying negative connotations to people who aren't that great, we can just have the system in a positive matter:

Neutral - to ranked.

so the lowest you can drop is to have no rank which can symbolize in a sense, you being new to the game.

Yes i guess you are right,every round same people with the same SL.I'm gonna quote pigeon read afterwards:

30 minutes ago, peps1 said:

Any ranking system using any metric is open to abuse, whats to stop clans just all voting for each other regardless of merit. 

Playing on any server for a while you will soon know who the true good SL's are.

He is definitely right the squad community isn't that big @Syruphs so if you are here at least 4 hours a day on the same servers you will memorize all the good guys.

Edited by Mister Skippy

The discussions of abuse are unfounded IMO, because any meaningful system would have you rate the player, not the player-per-round, so yes, a clan could have their 15-30 players upvote each other (once each), but that pales in comparison to the thousands of players who are online every day. And clans generally just play with each other anyway, so those players wouldn't garner any meaningful upvotes besides their small base of clan friends, thus having rather indeterminate aura versus people who consistently public SL well. 

It doesn't only work to help "recognize" the good SLs, it also gives people another little incentive to stray away from being a dickhead on the internet, which is apparently the default position for the majority, at least in my experience. 

Here's an example of the model that I would be hoping for, if it was implemented in Squad. 

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/wp_faq#wp_aura

Edited by Psyrus

4 hours ago, Syruphs said:

Honoring Ranking.

Totally don't take this wrong or be offended but you should play Squad more than 30 hours before you jump to conclusions like this. Regardless, my perspective is Squad is a casual game where no one individual has some special perk, rank or weapon upgrade that gives them an advantage. Everyone is on an level playing field so basically a refuge from every other FPS game with such douchebaggery.

I appreciate everyone that has posted in here.

What about this:

Instead of having the rank being shown within game, have it maybe demonstrate it at the end of the round.

(i had previously thought about having it in the stats board in-game but i took into consideration what Mister Skippy stated in regards to the possibility of having people just wanting to join certain individuals.)

@Zylfrax791 in this sense, the ranking system would be something that is personal. you'd work for your own rank. Without having it displayed in-game you can avoid people attempting to brag or show-off. It wouldn't unlock anything else other than just a badge that would display on your character profile outside of the game like for example on the main menu.

Edited by Syruphs
Grammatical errors

Do we really need ranking system?

I have no idea what it could do?...

Squad is about objectives and cooperation with 8 other people, not about individuals.

17 minutes ago, PadrePadre said:

Do we really need ranking system?

I have no idea what it could do?...

Squad is about objectives and cooperation with 8 other people, not about individuals.

The real question is, are most things mentioned as a suggestion necessary? 

not all ideas are in regards to necessity but more about possible features and implementations.  there are people that do find joy in ranks and personal achievements as much as there are people who do not even pay attention to it:)

Edited by Syruphs

55 minutes ago, Syruphs said:

The real question is, are most things mentioned as a suggestion necessary? 

not all ideas are in regards to necessity but more about possible features and implementations.  there are people that do find joy in ranks and personal achievements as much as there are people who do not even pay attention to it:)

ok, seems fair.

I like the idea of personal stats, but they remain private to you.

A way to check your progress in such things and another excuse to get nerdy with yourself and pal's.

This system would be easily gamed and abused. Clans and groups would simply top rank each other all the time, and they could target individual players to bottom rank them. What you need is a localized and decentralized system that does not allow for this kind of gaming and abuse.

I have previously suggested a subscription-based reputation system(Second part of this post) that works like this:

If you liked playing with a person, as Squad Leader, as Medic, as Grenadier, whatever, you can simply tag him. He now shows up as a bright green in the player list. In addition to simply tagging him for your own reference, you are also subscribing to his tags. On its own, this single subscription does very little. It is when you start subscribing to more players, and tags start overlapping that you start seeing the effect in-game.

If you tag one person, and he's tagged another person, the other person does not show up for you. But if you've tagged five people who have also tagged this other person, he suddenly shows up as green in the player list. The more overlapping tags from those you've tagged, the brighter the green color is.

This system allows you to tag people you like and, based on their tags, recommends other players. As these recommendations are based on an aggregate of tags from people you've tagged, they are very likely to be the kind of player you want to play with. Because the system is localized and decentralized, it is practically impossible to abuse. A clan can get together and tag all their clan members, but unless you tag a lot of those clan members, their tags have no impact on you. And as the ranking is entirely individual, any remotely successful abuse is confined to a small part of the system.

7 hours ago, Mister Skippy said:

For the new players and/or leaders would be helpfull if the system only counts the last 4 weeks or something similar.

Every newcomer need their time to get into the game, and some of them need more time then others. Would be a strong handicap for their rating, if their beginner stats nerver be expire.

I try to join squads that have a SL with clan tags, that works for me. 

why on earth do we need a ranking system .. that's the slippery slope to COD / Battlefield hell... 

allowing any sort of community vote is just toxic hell... its bad enough when SL kicks player from squad without a by your leave... just imagine toxic players down voting someone because of that....

the great thing about the game is that it is not pay to win.. nor giving out perks to make any one soldier more powerful than the next..

There is an inherent ranking system already , there is an SL.. we will have fire teams... people will be put in charge of them.... no need to get into a '500 kills' you rank up ... omg...

Could have a commend system, much like CS:GO. When the match ends your entire squad pops up and you can commend them with teamwork, leadership, general badassery.

14 hours ago, Tartantyco said:

This system would be easily gamed and abused. Clans and groups would simply top rank each other all the time, and they could target individual players to bottom rank them. What you need is a localized and decentralized system that does not allow for this kind of gaming and abuse.

I have previously suggested a subscription-based reputation system(Second part of this post) that works like this:

If you liked playing with a person, as Squad Leader, as Medic, as Grenadier, whatever, you can simply tag him. He now shows up as a bright green in the player list. In addition to simply tagging him for your own reference, you are also subscribing to his tags. On its own, this single subscription does very little. It is when you start subscribing to more players, and tags start overlapping that you start seeing the effect in-game.

If you tag one person, and he's tagged another person, the other person does not show up for you. But if you've tagged five people who have also tagged this other person, he suddenly shows up as green in the player list. The more overlapping tags from those you've tagged, the brighter the green color is.

This system allows you to tag people you like and, based on their tags, recommends other players. As these recommendations are based on an aggregate of tags from people you've tagged, they are very likely to be the kind of player you want to play with. Because the system is localized and decentralized, it is practically impossible to abuse. A clan can get together and tag all their clan members, but unless you tag a lot of those clan members, their tags have no impact on you. And as the ranking is entirely individual, any remotely successful abuse is confined to a small part of the system.

Excellent suggestion. See my recent topic on social interaction with other players, this could serve as a part of such system that would allow like-minded players to find each other.

10 hours ago, embecmom said:

no need to get into a '500 kills' you rank up ... omg...

Clearly someone who read the thread title and not the OP or any of the subsequent posts :|

I think the honor system should be like league of legends.

After each game you can have an icon near any player,if you click on it means you gave recommendation and he will keep leveling up by each honor he gets every game.

On each new level, he will get a badge next to his name so for example: When you click on TAB each player will have a significant badge,icon,color... i don't know something like that and that thing will reveal his honor level.

20 hours ago, Tartantyco said:

@Tartantyco I really like your idea! it's a very well thought out and well designed badges.

14 hours ago, embecmom said:

why on earth do we need a ranking system .. that's the slippery slope to COD / Battlefield hell... 

allowing any sort of community vote is just toxic hell... its bad enough when SL kicks player from squad without a by your leave... just imagine toxic players down voting someone because of that....

the great thing about the game is that it is not pay to win.. nor giving out perks to make any one soldier more powerful than the next..

There is an inherent ranking system already , there is an SL.. we will have fire teams... people will be put in charge of them.... no need to get into a '500 kills' you rank up ... omg...

3 hours ago, Mister Skippy said:

I think the honor system should be like league of legends.

After each game you can have an icon near any player,if you click on it means you gave recommendation and he will keep leveling up by each honor he gets every game.

On each new level, he will get a badge next to his name so for example: When you click on TAB each player will have a significant badge,icon,color... i don't know something like that and that thing will reveal his honor level.

Yes, that's the system i slightly had in mind, but i wanted to somehow mush it up with badges so that it's a little incentive that takes you no where other than 'bragging rights' which only carry the weight of whoever wants to give it meaning.

as far as the issue with clansdown voting someone and bringing their own clan up to the top, there's a way to combat that.

I do not have an exact formula or algorithm to provide where it'll be less possible to abuse, but maybe a system where if a clanmate gives you a 'positive vote'

it doesn't count as much as a regular vote (reason is the following: You're clan mates for a reason, the last reason on the list would be because you're a negative player) So that a team can not vote their own members, yet also can't negatively affect them too much either.

But that dabbles into clans and factions and teams and stuff, which is a discussion for another day :P

I apologize in advance in regards to my spelling,  my sentences might not be too well structured at this time, i just got off of work and i'm mentally drained.

Edited by Syruphs