Syruphs

Instead of a ranking system for Squad, why not an honor system?

On 27.7.2017 at 11:15 AM, Tartantyco said:

This system would be easily gamed and abused. Clans and groups would simply top rank each other all the time, and they could target individual players to bottom rank them. What you need is a localized and decentralized system that does not allow for this kind of gaming and abuse.

I have previously suggested a subscription-based reputation system(Second part of this post) that works like this:

If you liked playing with a person, as Squad Leader, as Medic, as Grenadier, whatever, you can simply tag him. He now shows up as a bright green in the player list. In addition to simply tagging him for your own reference, you are also subscribing to his tags. On its own, this single subscription does very little. It is when you start subscribing to more players, and tags start overlapping that you start seeing the effect in-game.

If you tag one person, and he's tagged another person, the other person does not show up for you. But if you've tagged five people who have also tagged this other person, he suddenly shows up as green in the player list. The more overlapping tags from those you've tagged, the brighter the green color is.

This system allows you to tag people you like and, based on their tags, recommends other players. As these recommendations are based on an aggregate of tags from people you've tagged, they are very likely to be the kind of player you want to play with. Because the system is localized and decentralized, it is practically impossible to abuse. A clan can get together and tag all their clan members, but unless you tag a lot of those clan members, their tags have no impact on you. And as the ranking is entirely individual, any remotely successful abuse is confined to a small part of the system.

This sounds like such a good way to go about it. Not only would it help you to find a decent SL, it would also help you with finding other players to play with, it would help with bringing players together. Not to mention that people would have a more tangible reputation to manage.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to make it go the other way aswell? So you could "anti-subscribe" to people, and their name would get a red tint. Also you could do it so you see red tint around players whove been anti-subscribed by 5+ players of those youve subscribed to (the green players).

On 7/26/2017 at 11:14 PM, Catindabox said:

This same type of system has been suggested many times. Easilly abused by clans, just not worth it.

Yeah, if we're going on people voting then you will have many people abusing or trolling the system.  Like one Twitch streamer could get a bunch of their viewers to all give him positive votes as much as allowed.   Same goes the opposite.   Someone gets a bunch of people to troll some person into the negative because we all know how childish some people act online.  Don't like the way some guy talked to you?  Get your viewer base or clan members to down vote him into the abyss.

Edited by Converge

On 7/30/2017 at 0:41 AM, Converge said:

Don't like the way some guy talked to you?  Get your viewer base or clan members to down vote him into the abyss.

You realize those people would each have to finish a round with the player in question, 8 at a time, getting into his squad, team and server being a huge barrier to entry? 

23 hours ago, tweak by one said:

since it will be abused a lot by players and clans.

On 7/30/2017 at 0:41 AM, Converge said:

you will have many people abusing or trolling the system

On 7/28/2017 at 9:11 PM, Loxy.357 said:

'gamed' and abused by players :-/

Just build a system that is hard to manipulate by small numbers of individuals ^_^. It's not hard. Tartantyco's idea isn't a bad start. 

Edited by Psyrus
9 in a squad... so 8 at a time oops

30 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

You realize those people would each have to finish a round with the player in question, 8 at a time, getting into his squad, team and server being a huge barrier to entry? 

You act as if those things are somehow horrible obstacles. A clan could play a full round regardless. A squad mate could decide at the end of the round that he had built a grudge against the guy and would just -1 him.

Imagine the SLs fishing for upvotes as the rounds come to a close.

17 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

You act as if those things are somehow horrible obstacles. A clan could play a full round regardless. A squad mate could decide at the end of the round that he had built a grudge against the guy and would just -1 him.

Imagine the SLs fishing for upvotes as the rounds come to a close.

How does that matter when the rating is based on player to player, not round to round? So if we play together and I think you're a standup guy, I rate you as 5 stars or whatever the system uses, and the system registers that against your global aura. We play again but you're having a bad day and chew out the medics for not getting you up fast enough (for example) and I feel it was unjustified, so at the end of that round, I change my rating for you from 5 stars to 4 stars, and thus my drop in the pool of hundreds of votes for you from all the other players you played with, changes from 5 to 4. 

How does that end up being massively gamed?

Edited by Psyrus

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

How does that matter when the rating is based on player to player, not round to round? So if we play together and I think you're a standup guy, I rate you as 5 stars or whatever the system uses, and the system registers that against your global aura. We play again but you're having a bad day and chew out the medics for not getting you up fast enough (for example) and I feel it was unjustified, so at the end of that round, I change my rating for you from 5 stars to 4 stars, and thus my drop in the pool of hundreds of votes for you from all the other players you played with, changes from 5 to 4. 

How does that end up being massively gamed?

Or you're just in the same clan as someone and circle jerk upvote your SLs

16 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

Or you're just in the same clan as someone and circle jerk upvote your SLs

Yeah, but you would only get one vote per SL/clan member. How big are most squad clans... under 100 people? And having to organize each permutation of players to play with all the others just to try and game an aura system... xD Compare that to the potential thousands of people outside the clan voting each day, and given that an aura luminescence value would be based on a formula based the volume of votes, even 100 people circle jerking in locked squads wouldn't make any meaningful aura impact compared to real squad pub SLs who play with tens to hundreds of different players (and get their potential ratings) weekly. 

I'm probably not explaining what I envision very well as I'm speed posting while things are deploying or compiling at work :S

Edited by Psyrus

well no matter how push this topic it will lead to no where.

Either way the outcome is the same.
if you want it badly join a clan they picked who's the best SL in the clan plus you get an sort of virtual rank presence among them.

no offense there bud. like i told you i posted this kind of thing last year.

Edited by tweak by one

16 minutes ago, tweak by one said:

well no matter how push this topic it will lead to no where.

If we take that attitude to topics in the feedback/suggestions/general discussion of squad, we might as well close down those sections, as the devs ultimately make all the decisions pertaining to the game and us as community members are just pissing into the wind :P. I don't think this kind of system will come to fruition in squad, but I do enjoy the back-and-forth exchange of ideas with people such as catindabox... especially since I live here in Japan and can't communicate about particularly complicated things with my Japanese friends and coworkers due to the language barrier. 

19 minutes ago, tweak by one said:

if you want it badly join a clan they picked who's the best SL in the clan plus you get an sort of virtual rank presence among them.

This has nothing to do with individual player desires, but instead creating a fluid system that makes picking from the SL lottery on public servers a bit less painful, as well as encouraging the average player to act like less of a **** through the carrot method... the admins are the stick. 

true enough that everyone is entitled to an opinion that they feel will enhance gameplay no matter how daft/unworkable it could be.. but always expect the community to also rip those suggestions to shreds and don't take it personally..   I for one hated the idea of mortars / helicopters / IEDs and god forbid shovel combat... .. Mortar spam was a thing but seems to have calmed down a lot (probably witht he supply on fob mechanism being implemented which is good)  add smoke and they will be great... choppers def needed on big maps ..IEDS I still hate just cos... and shovel combat is just stupid..  so from the embryo of a not so perfect idea certain things may make it into the game... and we should not stop that

Do you folks think there might be actions in-game that aren't directly combat related that could inform the honor ranking? Hypothetical, of course, but it does seem like there should be some behaviors that help would help point out a legit SL ranking. I guess the question might be: what do you see squad leaders doing with the game that you makes you come back?

Rating systems are always an interesting tool, even from the point where you decide whether you can only give positive feedback, say. Are there any games out there with reputation systems that feel satisfying?

I base most of mine on how much I blame my teammates for my bad newbness. =P

2 minutes ago, Gatzby said:

Do you folks think there might be actions in-game that aren't directly combat related that could inform the honor ranking? Hypothetical, of course, but it does seem like there should be some behaviors that help would help point out a legit SL ranking. I guess the question might be: what do you see squad leaders doing with the game that you makes you come back?

Rating systems are always an interesting tool, even from the point where you decide whether you can only give positive feedback, say. Are there any games out there with reputation systems that feel satisfying?

I base most of mine on how much I blame my teammates for my bad newbness. =P

I've always been squad leading,never asked people how they judge good SL's but when i first started playing squad i loved SL's who were calm,do some jokes from time to time and give orders when needed . As for the SL's who are are always blaming the other squads well it happens anyone can be bad so i think SL's should be ranked based on how they react with their Squad , are their orders clear enough? Are they trying to be a***holes and scream at players because they are SL?