Sign in to follow this  
Font

Speed Reload suggestion

Font   

If the devs could add a speed reload into the game that would be awesome. For example when you press R twice instead of a normal reload, you would do a speed reload, but you would lose (throw) the previous magazine with the remaining bullets. To prevent people doing speed reloads all the time, you could limit it with only refilling the remaining magazines at the ammo crate, so it would be used only in emergencies. . And a reload cancel would be fantastic aswell. No more bleeding out because of reloading. What do you think about this?

Edited by Font

7 minutes ago, Font said:

If the devs could add a speed reload into the game that would be awesome. For example when you press R twice instead of a normal reload, you would do a speed reload, but you would lose (throw) the previous magazine with the remaining bullets. To prevent people doing speed reloads all the time, you could limit it with only refilling the remaining magazines at the ammo crate, so it would be used only in emergencies. . And a reload cancel would be fantastic aswell. No more bleeding out because of reloading. What do you think about this?

This isn't realistic. On the the other hand if done right you can preload all 4 squad leader smokes so they quickly throw fully auto which is kind of interesting.

6 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

This isn't realistic. 

How is it not realistic? If you are bleeding out (or have an enemy 1m away) I doubt you will mess with putting your half used magazines away. It's definitely more realistic than getting healed after 2 shots or spawning right into battle on backpacks. Sometimes you need to sacrifice some reality to make the gameplay more fluid, the more choices you have the better the game becomes.

Edited by kisbiflos

Font   
9 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

This isn't realistic. On the the other hand if done right you can preload all 4 squad leader smokes so they quickly throw fully auto which is kind of interesting.

I don't see why is it not realistic.

Gnarleus   

I ultimately dislike this idea because having to reload after you have been hit and need to bandage provides great game play dynamics. The way it is now you need to find suitable cover in order to successfully bandage yourself, reload your weapon, and hopefully the enemy didn't see you so once you are done reloading you can look for and kill the enemy. Increasing the speed at which you recover and are fully reloaded and effective for battle just means more times you cant catch enemy reloading or bandaging and i like being able to time coming around a corner correctly anticipating when the enemy is reloading or bandaging. This suggesting means that more times i come around the corner the enemy will be ready and waiting will a fast fully reloaded clip to just own me after i have cleverly figured out where he is and what he is doing. 

I do however like the idea of incorporating more tools for survival like quick smoke nades. 

Font   
11 hours ago, Gnarleus said:

I ultimately dislike this idea because having to reload after you have been hit and need to bandage provides great game play dynamics. The way it is now you need to find suitable cover in order to successfully bandage yourself, reload your weapon, and hopefully the enemy didn't see you so once you are done reloading you can look for and kill the enemy. Increasing the speed at which you recover and are fully reloaded and effective for battle just means more times you cant catch enemy reloading or bandaging and i like being able to time coming around a corner correctly anticipating when the enemy is reloading or bandaging. This suggesting means that more times i come around the corner the enemy will be ready and waiting will a fast fully reloaded clip to just own me after i have cleverly figured out where he is and what he is doing. 

I do however like the idea of incorporating more tools for survival like quick smoke nades. 

The bandages are fine, no increased bandaging speed. But when you get into a firefight and you kill a guy who managed to hit you, but your gun is completely empty and the game starts to reload automatically. I suggested the cancel reload for these situations, when you die because the game won't let you cancel a reload for bandaging. This would also make the game more realistic.

The speed reload on the other hand, like it or not it would also make the game more realistic. It makes more sense to put a fresh magazine into your weapons ASAP when you know the enemy is close rather than taking your time to carefully put the used magazine back to a pouch. This mechanic would have the drawback of permanently losing your magazine, which you can't get back even after you resupplied at an ammo crate. Speed reloading would be louder, since the magazine falls to the ground. Maybe only a logi truck could give you magazines if you lost them, so your SL would have to contact an other SL if they could send a logi closer (but still to a safe place) so you can resupply your magazines and ammo, but the logi would have a limited amount of magazines (lets say 10).

Edited by Font

On 26/07/2017 at 9:10 AM, kisbiflos said:

If you are bleeding out (or have an enemy 1m away) I doubt you will mess with putting your half used magazines away.

... and i doubt you will have time for anything but dying - this sounds like a reload-death situation so make sure you reload before going hot.

This is, i think, the bigger issue you face >

12 hours ago, Font said:

but your gun is completely empty and the game starts to reload automatically.

This is not right, surely?! I thought this game was trying to be less arcadey - auto-reloading should NOT be a thing.

12 hours ago, Font said:

It makes more sense to put a fresh magazine into your weapons ASAP when you know the enemy is close rather than taking your time to carefully put the used magazine back to a pouch. ...

... but you would lose (throw) the previous magazine with the remaining bullets.

Of course it makes sense, and most peeps generally do this all the time (or face inevitable reload deaths), but why the neccessity to dump the magazine and any remaining rounds?

12 hours ago, Font said:

This mechanic would have the drawback of permanently losing your magazine, which you can't get back even after you resupplied at an ammo crate.

You really need to rethink this bit - makes no sense whatsoever. Why would an Armoury(ammo crate) make the decision not to give you a full re-load just because you chucked a mag away? the whole point of it is to replenish your ammo or kit, completely and fully.

Instead, why not add a REAL penalty, of say 10 Tickets per mag you drop due to wasting resources on the battlefield? And no replacement mags for the rest of the round?

On 26/07/2017 at 9:16 AM, Font said:

I don't see why is it not realistic.

Lols, then open your eyes, do you actually think this is realistic? You genuinely believe these guys do that in actual combat? (if they really do, then the US marine forces are way more gung-ho-gangstah than i thought).

And if they did drop a mag on the ground during reloading then do you really think they'd leave any rounds un-fired in the mag?

And that they'd leave mags all over the place after a firefight and not collect them up?

Also this: I have a mechanical keyboard and the keys are very light, so mis-keying and double-tapping is not unheard of. I would curse the game if it dumped a magazine each time I accidentally brushed/fumbled my (R)eload key.

Edited by LaughingJack

8 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

... and i doubt you will have time for anything but dying - this sounds like a reload-death situation so make sure you reload before going hot.

Yet in Squad you can still switch to your RPG while bleeding and fire that rocket or basically do anything else. As for "make sure you reload before going hot" you could have not used a more invalid argument if it was aimed against the feature itself.

ou genuinely believe these guys do that in actual combat? 

If you really think that everything every time goes in combat as it is "supposed to be" then you have not heard enough stories from those who were in combat. The Japanese used Kamikazes and Katanas in WW2 and Lt. Col. Jack Churchill used a longbow during operations multiple times. I am not saying they leave half-full magazines all around but when you MUST do it you MUST BE ABLE to do it. I think the more freedom a game gives you (in terms of realistic movement)  the closer it comes to reality.

On 7/26/2017 at 0:52 AM, Font said:

To prevent people doing speed reloads all the time, you could limit it with only refilling the remaining magazines at the ammo crate, so it would be used only in emergencies

I don't think you should lose your whole magazine, mostly since you already have to travel hundreds of meters if you want a resupply and managing the logi trucks is already a great deal. Losing the ammo left in that magazine is enough for a punishment in a game where you can easily have to wait 15 minutes between respawns/resupplies. 

21 hours ago, Font said:

Speed reloading would be louder, since the magazine falls to the ground.

Great idea. People already listen to if the enemy is bandaging, reloading or pulling the pin from a grenade. This would just add one more kind of sound to listen for. I should not necessarily be louder, but the magazine hitting the ground should make a sound depending on what it hits.

Edited by kisbiflos

embecmom   

why not take it a step further... have a super sprint mode when double tapping run... or a super jump mode when double tapping... or after 3 kills you get a kill streak and all enemies within range are highlighted in blue to make it easier to shoot them... or get 5 kills with a vehicle you get 'indestructible' shouted in a manly voice and flashed up on the screen and your vehicle cant be damaged by rpg for 1 minute.... 

On 26/07/2017 at 9:10 AM, kisbiflos said:

How is it not realistic? If you are bleeding out (or have an enemy 1m away) I doubt you will mess with putting your half used magazines away. It's definitely more realistic than getting healed after 2 shots or spawning right into battle on backpacks. Sometimes you need to sacrifice some reality to make the gameplay more fluid, the more choices you have the better the game becomes. 

Yet in Squad you can still switch to your RPG while bleeding and fire that rocket or basically do anything else. As for "make sure you reload before going hot" you could have not used a more invalid argument if it was aimed against the feature itself.

You seem to be confusing reality with the game. Bleeding out in the game is not instant and does not impare your ability to play ('cept for scren effects) - plenty of time for a regular change-out.

I believe my argument is valid due to your whining example of being caught with your pants down and wanting yet another 'helper' in the game to get you out of trouble.

Getting healed after 2 shots i don't even understand this argument in the context, and spawning on backpacks i hate anyway, so also pointless against me.

And sometimes You need to sacrifice overbearing and complex systems(helpers) to make the gameplay more fluid.

"the more choices you have the better the game becomes." - yeah, and some people think that if something is popular it must therefore be better. (you know, like; Apple, Fox news, VW, Redbull, Reality TV)

15 hours ago, kisbiflos said:

If you really think that everything every time goes in combat as it is "supposed to be" then you have not heard enough stories from those who were in combat. The Japanese used Kamikazes and Katanas in WW2 and Lt. Col. Jack Churchill used a longbow during operations multiple times. I am not saying they leave half-full magazines all around but when you MUST do it you MUST BE ABLE to do it. I think the more freedom a game gives you (in terms of realistic movement)  the closer it comes to reality.

I never mentioned anything about "combat as it is "supposed to be" and i don't think that way either - you must be prepared for anything and be thinking well ahead of yourself. I think maybe you may have heard too many stories, you cite two very eccentric (even by modern terms) instances from 70 years ago. No, they would probably not have left mags lying around due to cost of materials in that time, but i also don't believe that Speed Reloads were a common thing either.

No. Just because you want "MUST BE ABLE TO"  does not justify your arguments in the context of this game.

ArmA has a very complex and thorough movement and stance system that i personally find way OTT and really does not add to the game at all unless you are a Mil-Sim/Roleplaying afficionado.

23 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

You seem to be confusing reality with the game. Bleeding out in the game is not instant and does not impare your ability to play ('cept for scren effects) - plenty of time for a regular change-out.

I believe my argument is valid due to your whining example of being caught with your pants down and wanting yet another 'helper' in the game to get you out of trouble.

Getting healed after 2 shots i don't even understand this argument in the context, and spawning on backpacks i hate anyway, so also pointless against me.

And sometimes You need to sacrifice overbearing and complex systems(helpers) to make the gameplay more fluid.

"the more choices you have the better the game becomes." - yeah, and some people think that if something is popular it must therefore be better. (you know, like; Apple, Fox news, VW, Redbull, Reality TV)

I never mentioned anything about "combat as it is "supposed to be" and i don't think that way either - you must be prepared for anything and be thinking well ahead of yourself. I think maybe you may have heard too many stories, you cite two very eccentric (even by modern terms) instances from 70 years ago. No, they would probably not have left mags lying around due to cost of materials in that time, but i also don't believe that Speed Reloads were a common thing either.

No. Just because you want "MUST BE ABLE TO"  does not justify your arguments in the context of this game.

ArmA has a very complex and thorough movement and stance system that i personally find way OTT and really does not add to the game at all unless you are a Mil-Sim/Roleplaying afficionado.

You completely missed all my points.I am not here to argue with people like you. "Bleeding out in the game is not instant" that was my point, that is why you should be able to cancel reaload/ drop mag. I stand by with my argument "the more freedom the game gives you the more tactical/realistic it gets". 

CptDirty   

I too find the current reload to be slow at times of need. Perhaps have the switch to secondary (pistol) faster? On the kits that have it of course...

embecmom   

if you are caught so often looking for a quick reload then you are not using cover and move correctly nor your squadmates....

I always thought that's what the sidearm was for? I know not every class has one but still.

I personally think the reload speed is fine. It encourages you to mange your mags and ammunition mid fire fight.

tatzhit   

Why not add hand-to-hand combat into game for when your mag runs out? You're able to do it IRL after all. "Press Jump-Jump-Forward to perform flying kick", all that.
The answer is, it makes the game unnecessarily complex and doesn't add much value.

Edited by tatzhit

Psyrus   
48 minutes ago, tatzhit said:

Why not add hand-to-hand combat into game for when your mag runs out?

Well, they're adding melee to the shovel... so I guess we're half way there xD

tatzhit   
5 hours ago, embecmom said:

melee with shovel pff... 

Note it's more or less the same shovel we have ingame. Just better steel, and well sharpened. But even a poorly sharpened shovel of mild steel will do a number on an unarmored human. It basically functions as a broad axe.
Not that Squad needs shovel melee for any reason... but it's just as realistic as knife or rifle melee.

embecmom   
17 hours ago, tatzhit said:

Note it's more or less the same shovel we have ingame. Just better steel, and well sharpened. But even a poorly sharpened shovel of mild steel will do a number on an unarmored human. It basically functions as a broad axe.
Not that Squad needs shovel melee for any reason... but it's just as realistic as knife or rifle melee.

not that I'm against shovel melee per-se but was it really that important for the game ?  just my view that time would have been better spent on other things than developing animation for shovel attack ... weapon collision mechanism for one.

Nimbus   
17 hours ago, Gnarleus said:

Am i missing something? As far as I remember the game does not automatically reload for you after your clip is fully out? 

Doesn't auto reload indeed, that's kinda of a tactical shooter hallmark. Magazine by the way, only the SKS uses (stripper)clips.

9 hours ago, Nimbus said:

Doesn't auto reload indeed, that's kinda of a tactical shooter hallmark. ...

But, that's most of the argument and reason given in this thread, and reiterated by @Font and @kisbiflos

On 26/07/2017 at 8:52 AM, Font said:

a reload cancel would be fantastic aswell. No more bleeding out because of reloading

On 26/07/2017 at 8:51 PM, Font said:

but your gun is completely empty and the game starts to reload automatically

On 29/07/2017 at 9:54 AM, kisbiflos said:

that is why you should be able to cancel reaload

so this whole thread was a waste of time, yeah?