Sign in to follow this  
Zylfrax791

Zylfrax791 Squad Maps

CE810553BAC74B6D62CEC039F0D93452334B50EF

B9B122944F7D733EC49EDB674600420C90082CF9

8BE6611C1E6541B2E6935D8D4836C16F3714EE9F

4B9AA202F20E9A912407F555E62186E4AF782E98

C8EB53EB9305C4DE4439D8DAE434029CF2FB620B

Progress so far on my Kohat variation. None of my maps will be "mods" per se, as they will all simply utilize variations of existing OWI Squad assets to insure continuity and compatibility in theory.

Just so you're aware, landscape objects are a 'per level' asset. Meaning that it doesn't matter if they're the same between levels, they'll be stored seperately in each level. Creating an entirely new heightmap would cost exactly the same amount of storage, assuming you still reuse everything else. 

And I highly recommend doing so, a new heightmap will add a lot to your map.

2 hours ago, Axton said:

Just so you're aware, landscape objects are a 'per level' asset. Meaning that it doesn't matter if they're the same between levels, they'll be stored seperately in each level. Creating an entirely new heightmap would cost exactly the same amount of storage, assuming you still reuse everything else. 

And I highly recommend doing so, a new heightmap will add a lot to your map.

I was referencing new external 3D objects separate from the assets contained within the game, not the heightmap. Say for example I could purchase new assets 3D *.fbx or *.obj models from cgtrader.com or turbosquid.com and then import them into my Squad maps. As I understand it once I export/compile my map and it gets hosted on a server the player would need to download those additional assets. On the other hand if I were to only use OWI Squad assets the player would only download the file that calls to the assets already on their computer.  

Edited by Zylfrax791
grammer & speeling

Just now, Zylfrax791 said:

I was referencing new external 3D objects separate from the assets contained within the game, not the heightmap. Say for example I could purchase new assets 3D *.fbx or *.obj models from cgtrader.com or turbosquid.com and then import them into my Squad maps. As I understand it once I export/compile my map the player and it gets hosted on a server the player would need to download those additional assets. On the other hand if I were to only use OWI Squad assets the player would only download the file that calls to the assets already on their computer.  

This is true, I'm just saying that no matter what they'll have to download the heightmap information of the level.

Just now, Axton said:

This is true, I'm just saying that no matter what they'll have to download the heightmap information of the level.

I'm actually kind of hesitant to do a lot of work on my maps because I'm thinking they'll be deprecated at some point... what do you think?

Just now, Zylfrax791 said:

I'm actually kind of hesitant to do a lot of work on my maps because I'm thinking they'll be deprecated at some point... what do you think?

Depreciated how exactly?

Just now, Axton said:

Depreciated how exactly?

First of all, the editor itself is several patches old. Secondly the inclusion of the animation system further complicates things as referenced by Anders in his WWII mod. Furthermore, at this point its really unclear how many future patches it will take to make the beta and then the actual finished game. It could be 2018 sometime I guess, who knows? So yeah, you'd need to have an actual finished game before the Steam Workshop could be opened as I understand it. Honestly, everything I've done thus far in the Unreal Editor I simply consider to be learning and practice for the eventual finished product and I'm reasonably sure I'll need to do it all over again from scratch. No biggie though.  

2 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

First of all, the editor itself is several patches old. Secondly the inclusion of the animation system further complicates things as referenced by Anders in his WWII mod. Furthermore, at this point its really unclear how many future patches it will take to make the beta and then the actual finished game. It could be 2018 sometime I guess, who knows? So yeah, you'd need to have an actual finished game before the Steam Workshop could be opened as I understand it. Honestly, everything I've done thus far in the Unreal Editor I simply consider to be learning and practice for the eventual finished product and I'm reasonably sure I'll need to do it all over again from scratch. No biggie though.  

The workshop is going to be ready late september of this year. You definitely don't need a full release for a workshop. Furthermore, none of the new updates will really effect maps. They're more likely to effect weapons, gameplay mods, etc. You can do a lot with just a map without having to worry about that kind of stuff. The editor being several patches old also doesn't really effect anything mapping wise, it just means we don't have access to some of the new props and vehicles. 

DF4789EA7ED5EA10A24FC3E45A5E44A2EDFCE15B

Todays progress making a road for the alternative Russian alternative spawn/mortar position on Kohat.

1 hour ago, XRobinson said:

Cool stuff....Your making those materials from scratch?  

God no. I'm not that smart. Maybe one of these days. Those windows with the little boxes and cables connecting them scares me to death. No, they were made by an art student named Jacob Norris from PurePolygons.com I'm gonna get his Seasons pack with all the conifer trees plus ice/snow next. On the subject did you guys happen to notice there are some snow assets in the editor?

This Sumari conversion will loosely resemble the Bukchang Concentration Camp in central North Korea. Mosque area will be the main HQ buildings and the other points will be various barracks etc. There will be plenty of guard towers, trenches, bunkers and barb wire around the perimeter of the base.