Sign in to follow this  
tweak by one

reincarnated in the past war tactics

So play with your mind a little eh, as the title says
Lets just say that you got transported or reincarnated or other worlds but much more low tech and your memory intact NOW DONT KILL THE FUN.

which is after rome developed their little militia, not legionaires.

how will you survived?

if you get to be a commander? what training will you put up with your own army.

what tactics

train special units?

and so on?

Just signed up on the forums (finally) to ask a question and I saw this interesting thread title that I've somewhat answered elsewhere. So, I'll bite on a part of that scenario and throw down some ideas that I shared similarly on a Total War Forum as well.

**I assumed that I am in a position of power in roughly dark ages tech, with the financial capability to field my own army when called upon but not have some massive standing army. My society would be mostly equestrian based, with a requirement of military service by all citizens**

Overall strategy: Combine all of what I know that has been successful in military history that can be practically implemented into one superior trained army in antiquity.

• How to Accomplish strategy
    • Diplomacy/Politics
      • Buy Allies, destroy enemies, trade with neutrals
        • Pay enemies of my enemies to fight with me
        • Focus on improving the world, thus bring newest technology to the conquered lands (Medical/Food/Transport) and trading the riches of the conquered lands to the home provinces (Roman Triumphs)
    • There is no I in Team
      • Find excellent Aide de camps that can act as my 'right hand man' in each of the cases of diplomacy, ground based warfare, maritime warfare-, financial, technology,weather and despite my own personal reluctance religion. These individuals would act as my council and there entire purpose would be to be experts in their fields and find their own aide de camps and so on and so forth, which will create a constant stream of individuals for which to harness the information.
    • Spy/Scout Network
      • I would also pay significant sums to create a spy network that would be my eyes in ears throughout all of the known world, so that information may be possessed and provided to my council in order to disseminate and produce actionable intelligence.
      • Counter-intelligence is a huge part of warfare so be sure to have some nefarious people on the books but do not associate with them.
    • Finances (I will break down some payment of the armies in their respective categories
      • Armies would be paid based upon their service and quality of service. Some in the form of Taxation breaks (Bulk), some up partial front down payment then gradual increase (mercenary), some a constantly paycheck (Pros/Utility)
      • TRADE TRADE TRADE
    • Technology that I would implement 
      • Supplies: Focus on Food, Water, Transport, Communications, Medical Technologies to always give me an edge.
      • Weapons: 
        • Pike
        • Longbow/Recurve/bodkin
        • Lancer
        • Throwing spear
        • Improved Saddle/stirrups
    • Training I would implement (This training would be taught to the bulk from the 'PROs' as best as possible)
      • Pike/shot discipline (shot=missile in this case)
      • Testudo
      • Fire and advance
      • Fire and retreat
      • Parthian Shot
      • Feint (fake retreat)
      • Practice Envelopment
    • Army Management (Upkeep and such)
      • PROS": 'Trust me, I'm a Professional' --20% of the Army would be a VOLUNTEER professional standing army paid out of my own pocket. These troops would not be constrained to nobility but rather units that have proven their worth in battle and/or individuals that have  been recognized and proven their leadership qualities. Seniority in ranks would be determined by a mix of years of quality service to the army and their impact in battle (No inexperience princes to create costly mistakes). **They would serve as LEADERS within the army, teaching the Bulk how to fight, learning from the MERCS and adapting to enemies and then leading by example. Highly valuable, these individuals would serve as leaders and consultants for war.  This portion of the army includes [Mostly Anti-Cavalry Cavalry, Few dismounted Light berserker type Infantry]
      • "UTILITY":  'IN THE REAR WITH THE GEAR' --10% of the Army would be Professional Utility units drawn from Civilian life given sufficient training to defend themselves but not make an impact in warfare. These would include cooks, engineers, woodworkers, ironworkers/forgemasters, medical staff, etc. Their payment would not be up front but rather a large tax reduction after their work is complete. These individuals would get substantial rewards for their actions and be on the payroll. This portion of the army includes [Siege Weapons, Baggage train, Engineers]
      • "MERCS": 'Follow me, I know these lands'  --10% of the Army would be a mix of Mercenary units raised within the lands we are fighting but known as direct enemies of our enemies for the purposes of specific tasks based on the terrain and environment of combat. For example: I would hire English Mercenary missile units that are battle hardened and proven successful in battle against  French forces. They would be paid in increasing increments with a sizable down payment until their contract has been fulfilled, which would encourage them to stay and complete the mission. Booty/loot would be split with the Bulk.  Those mercenaries that mesh well with the regular army will be offered to join the standing army as liaisons. [Mix of Cavalry,Infantry,Missile, specialized army]
      • "BULK": ~60% of the Army would be the conscription/drafted portion of the army and therefore the bulk of the fighting force. These individuals would be lightly trained and guided by the "PROS". Service to the country would be mandatory with minimum payment given to families of those serving and booty/loot split among with Mercs.These units would focus on EASY to use weapons such as spears, crossbows and the like. [Mix of Pike,Spear Infantry and basic Missile Units]
    • Overall Army WAR Macro strategy - HAMMER AND ANVIL WITH BRANCHES 
      • All forces (except mercenaries) will be broken into units of 10 like the Huns did so that organization is runs smoothly and communication and maneuvering can be done quickly as smaller groups rather than large masses. [10 men per squad with 1 leader. 5 squads per platoon 1 leader, 5 platoons per leader, etc)
      • All forces will split into 3 equal portions of multiple small/mid-sized armies called BRANCHES built on mobility and constantly communicating with other branches
      • If one BRANCH engages enemy, it will assume a defensive stance (ANVIL) and others will maneuver to hit flanks (Hammers)
      • BRANCHES would be self sufficient, able to forage for food and focus on bartering goods with the local populace rather than ransacking and looting and stealing when applicable.
      • Enemy units that survive battle would be given option to die at that spot, join my army as a merc or to be ransomed back to their respective armies and the bounties split  between the capturer and the army as a tax (50% to capturer) but each would be branded with a obvious tattoo on their body to show that if they are caught again they will be killed with no ransom. That would encourage the enemy to not field an army against me.
      • Terrain - always maneuver for an advantage with terrain and weather
        • ex. downward slope
        • ex. use water at flanks
        • ex. never attack Russia in winter :P
    • Army Battle FORMATIONS, GOAL AND  PURPOSE
      • UTILITY [Siege Weapons, Baggage train, Engineers] Siege/anti Infantry engineered weapons such as ballistae, onagers. The focus would not be on size but rather mobility so these would likely be smaller but numerous and able to be built/assembled quickly.
      • Commence battle by firing siege weapons at enemy and outranging them to instill fear and force enemy to close distance
      • PRO [Anti-Cavalry Cav] [Shock Infantry]
        • Cavalry Superiority is #1. We must have the maneuverability advantage
        • Shock Infantry is what breaks the backbone of the enemy army. With it's experience and discipline, this unit will expertly hold it's charge until it's needed the most then roll the flanks of the enemy
      • MERCS [Mix of Cavalry,Infantry,Missile, specialized army] or whatever adapts best to the enemy and hates them with a passion. 
        • Purpose: Experienced Defensive Skirmish Screen
        • Place Mercenaries to front of army and skirmish with enemy army, be sure to tighten ranks behind so they cannot run
      • BULK [Mix of Pike,Spear Infantry and basic Missile Units]
        • Purpose:  Defensive position, protect Siege engines
        • Huddled Pike/Spear masses in the middle of the Anvil
        • Protect all flanks and instill confidence 
        • Light Infantry are typically poor, young, hot blooded men eager for glory and riches. Lack of funds means lack of armor, these are the potential recruits for PRO army and they have something to prove.
    • Army BATTLE Tactics
      • Single Envelopment  (Basic Hammer/Anvil, used when equal numbers)
      • Double Envelopment (same as single but both sides, used when allies have superiority in numbers)
      • Mass Break (when outnumbered)
        • Defensive stance
        • Identify a weakness and concentrate all fire on a single central point along the enemy line with missile units and artillery
        • then cease fire and send in all cavalry to bust a hole in the line, sending infantry in column into this hole.
        • Flank from within, rolling flanks as you go

----------------------------------------------BATTLEFIELD Example of Single envelopment Hammer/Anvil with infantry-----------------------------------------------------------

< ----------------------------------------------\

ENEMY - ENEMY - ENEMY -ENEMY - ENEMY                                                                \

ENEMY CAV                       ENEMY - ENEMY - ENEMY -ENEMY - ENEMY                        ENEMY CAV                    \

ENEMY CAV                       ENEMY - ENEMY - ENEMY -ENEMY - ENEMY                ^        ENEMY CAV                       \

^              ^                      |                            |               |                   |                  /                      ^                                      \ 

|                 \                    |                            |               |                   |             /                           |                                         \

|                   \                 V                          V              V                 V         /                             /                                            \

[PRO Cavalry] [PRO Cavalry] [MERC Skirmish Units]   [PRO Cavalry] [PRO Cavalry]                                                 |       

[BULK Pike] [MERC Infantry]   [BULK PIke]                                                                    [PRO Shock Infantry]    

[BULK Missile]      [LEADER]  [BULK Missile]                                                                  [BULK Light Infantry]                         

[BULK Spear] [UTILITY SIEGE]  [BULK Spear]                                                                [BULK Light Infantry]     

[BULK Light Infantry]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------BATTLEFIELD--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may add more to this but as I mentioned this is mostly a copy and paste from a total war thread I was involved in.

That is all,

POM_Constantine

Edited by POM_Constantine
added content

21 hours ago, POM_Constantine said:

Just signed up on the forums (finally) to ask a question and I saw this interesting thread title that I've somewhat answered elsewhere. So, I'll bite on a part of that scenario and throw down some ideas that I shared similarly on a Total War Forum as well.

**I assumed that I am in a position of power in roughly dark ages tech, with the financial capability to field my own army when called upon but not have some massive standing army. My society would be mostly equestrian based, with a requirement of military service by all citizens**

Overall strategy: Combine all of what I know that has been successful in military history that can be practically implemented into one superior trained army in antiquity.

• How to Accomplish strategy
    • Diplomacy/Politics
      • Buy Allies, destroy enemies, trade with neutrals
        • Pay enemies of my enemies to fight with me
        • Focus on improving the world, thus bring newest technology to the conquered lands (Medical/Food/Transport) and trading the riches of the conquered lands to the home provinces (Roman Triumphs)
    • There is no I in Team
      • Find excellent Aide de camps that can act as my 'right hand man' in each of the cases of diplomacy, ground based warfare, maritime warfare-, financial, technology,weather and despite my own personal reluctance religion. These individuals would act as my council and there entire purpose would be to be experts in their fields and find their own aide de camps and so on and so forth, which will create a constant stream of individuals for which to harness the information.
    • Spy/Scout Network
      • I would also pay significant sums to create a spy network that would be my eyes in ears throughout all of the known world, so that information may be possessed and provided to my council in order to disseminate and produce actionable intelligence.
      • Counter-intelligence is a huge part of warfare so be sure to have some nefarious people on the books but do not associate with them.
    • Finances (I will break down some payment of the armies in their respective categories
      • Armies would be paid based upon their service and quality of service. Some in the form of Taxation breaks (Bulk), some up partial front down payment then gradual increase (mercenary), some a constantly paycheck (Pros/Utility)
      • TRADE TRADE TRADE
    • Technology that I would implement 
      • Supplies: Focus on Food, Water, Transport, Communications, Medical Technologies to always give me an edge.
      • Weapons: 
        • Pike
        • Longbow/Recurve/bodkin
        • Lancer
        • Throwing spear
        • Improved Saddle/stirrups
    • Training I would implement (This training would be taught to the bulk from the 'PROs' as best as possible)
      • Pike/shot discipline (shot=missile in this case)
      • Testudo
      • Fire and advance
      • Fire and retreat
      • Parthian Shot
      • Feint (fake retreat)
      • Practice Envelopment
    • Army Management (Upkeep and such)
      • PROS": 'Trust me, I'm a Professional' --20% of the Army would be a VOLUNTEER professional standing army paid out of my own pocket. These troops would not be constrained to nobility but rather units that have proven their worth in battle and/or individuals that have  been recognized and proven their leadership qualities. Seniority in ranks would be determined by a mix of years of quality service to the army and their impact in battle (No inexperience princes to create costly mistakes). **They would serve as LEADERS within the army, teaching the Bulk how to fight, learning from the MERCS and adapting to enemies and then leading by example. Highly valuable, these individuals would serve as leaders and consultants for war.  This portion of the army includes [Mostly Anti-Cavalry Cavalry, Few dismounted Light berserker type Infantry]
      • "UTILITY":  'IN THE REAR WITH THE GEAR' --10% of the Army would be Professional Utility units drawn from Civilian life given sufficient training to defend themselves but not make an impact in warfare. These would include cooks, engineers, woodworkers, ironworkers/forgemasters, medical staff, etc. Their payment would not be up front but rather a large tax reduction after their work is complete. These individuals would get substantial rewards for their actions and be on the payroll. This portion of the army includes [Siege Weapons, Baggage train, Engineers]
      • "MERCS": 'Follow me, I know these lands'  --10% of the Army would be a mix of Mercenary units raised within the lands we are fighting but known as direct enemies of our enemies for the purposes of specific tasks based on the terrain and environment of combat. For example: I would hire English Mercenary missile units that are battle hardened and proven successful in battle against  French forces. They would be paid in increasing increments with a sizable down payment until their contract has been fulfilled, which would encourage them to stay and complete the mission. Booty/loot would be split with the Bulk.  Those mercenaries that mesh well with the regular army will be offered to join the standing army as liaisons. [Mix of Cavalry,Infantry,Missile, specialized army]
      • "BULK": ~60% of the Army would be the conscription/drafted portion of the army and therefore the bulk of the fighting force. These individuals would be lightly trained and guided by the "PROS". Service to the country would be mandatory with minimum payment given to families of those serving and booty/loot split among with Mercs.These units would focus on EASY to use weapons such as spears, crossbows and the like. [Mix of Pike,Spear Infantry and basic Missile Units]
    • Overall Army WAR Macro strategy - HAMMER AND ANVIL WITH BRANCHES 
      • All forces (except mercenaries) will be broken into units of 10 like the Huns did so that organization is runs smoothly and communication and maneuvering can be done quickly as smaller groups rather than large masses. [10 men per squad with 1 leader. 5 squads per platoon 1 leader, 5 platoons per leader, etc)
      • All forces will split into 3 equal portions of multiple small/mid-sized armies called BRANCHES built on mobility and constantly communicating with other branches
      • If one BRANCH engages enemy, it will assume a defensive stance (ANVIL) and others will maneuver to hit flanks (Hammers)
      • BRANCHES would be self sufficient, able to forage for food and focus on bartering goods with the local populace rather than ransacking and looting and stealing when applicable.
      • Enemy units that survive battle would be given option to die at that spot, join my army as a merc or to be ransomed back to their respective armies and the bounties split  between the capturer and the army as a tax (50% to capturer) but each would be branded with a obvious tattoo on their body to show that if they are caught again they will be killed with no ransom. That would encourage the enemy to not field an army against me.
      • Terrain - always maneuver for an advantage with terrain and weather
        • ex. downward slope
        • ex. use water at flanks
        • ex. never attack Russia in winter :P
    • Army Battle FORMATIONS, GOAL AND  PURPOSE
      • UTILITY [Siege Weapons, Baggage train, Engineers] Siege/anti Infantry engineered weapons such as ballistae, onagers. The focus would not be on size but rather mobility so these would likely be smaller but numerous and able to be built/assembled quickly.
      • Commence battle by firing siege weapons at enemy and outranging them to instill fear and force enemy to close distance
      • PRO [Anti-Cavalry Cav] [Shock Infantry]
        • Cavalry Superiority is #1. We must have the maneuverability advantage
        • Shock Infantry is what breaks the backbone of the enemy army. With it's experience and discipline, this unit will expertly hold it's charge until it's needed the most then roll the flanks of the enemy
      • MERCS [Mix of Cavalry,Infantry,Missile, specialized army] or whatever adapts best to the enemy and hates them with a passion. 
        • Purpose: Experienced Defensive Skirmish Screen
        • Place Mercenaries to front of army and skirmish with enemy army, be sure to tighten ranks behind so they cannot run
      • BULK [Mix of Pike,Spear Infantry and basic Missile Units]
        • Purpose:  Defensive position, protect Siege engines
        • Huddled Pike/Spear masses in the middle of the Anvil
        • Protect all flanks and instill confidence 
        • Light Infantry are typically poor, young, hot blooded men eager for glory and riches. Lack of funds means lack of armor, these are the potential recruits for PRO army and they have something to prove.
    • Army BATTLE Tactics
      • Single Envelopment  (Basic Hammer/Anvil, used when equal numbers)
      • Double Envelopment (same as single but both sides, used when allies have superiority in numbers)
      • Mass Break (when outnumbered)
        • Defensive stance
        • Identify a weakness and concentrate all fire on a single central point along the enemy line with missile units and artillery
        • then cease fire and send in all cavalry to bust a hole in the line, sending infantry in column into this hole.
        • Flank from within, rolling flanks as you go

----------------------------------------------BATTLEFIELD Example of Single envelopment Hammer/Anvil with infantry-----------------------------------------------------------

< ----------------------------------------------\

ENEMY - ENEMY - ENEMY -ENEMY - ENEMY                                                                \

ENEMY CAV                       ENEMY - ENEMY - ENEMY -ENEMY - ENEMY                        ENEMY CAV                    \

ENEMY CAV                       ENEMY - ENEMY - ENEMY -ENEMY - ENEMY                ^        ENEMY CAV                       \

^              ^                      |                            |               |                   |                  /                      ^                                      \ 

|                 \                    |                            |               |                   |             /                           |                                         \

|                   \                 V                          V              V                 V         /                             /                                            \

[PRO Cavalry] [PRO Cavalry] [MERC Skirmish Units]   [PRO Cavalry] [PRO Cavalry]                                                 |       

[BULK Pike] [MERC Infantry]   [BULK PIke]                                                                    [PRO Shock Infantry]    

[BULK Missile]      [LEADER]  [BULK Missile]                                                                  [BULK Light Infantry]                         

[BULK Spear] [UTILITY SIEGE]  [BULK Spear]                                                                [BULK Light Infantry]     

[BULK Light Infantry]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------BATTLEFIELD--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may add more to this but as I mentioned this is mostly a copy and paste from a total war thread I was involved in.

That is all,

POM_Constantine

i would like to know more, but we know that army training back in the days were like light training.
would be useful if you can develop a medium training to increase their  fighting ability and their stamina?
if  I suggested modern day military training will you imply it on your men?
mostly likely it will increase their fighting output.

and more

if you were to develop a special units which are likely ghost or special forces focus on rescue or assassination? will you do it?