DaiaBu

Are you a good shot?

DaiaBu   

Because I'm not. And I sometimes find it bloody frustrating.

I would hope to be humble enough never to think too much of my own skill level in games. But I've always enjoyed more "realistic", or at least, authentic shooters which favour realistic weapon handling and slower gameplay, as opposed to twitchy, 360noscope mlg 1v1omg games. As a result, I tend to think I'm not too bad a shot - I've been playing the Red Orchestra series ever since it was a UT2k3 mod, and although I know the latest iterations were considered a bit dumbed down (argument for another time), I still think they represent and encourage slower, more accurate gunplay. And I've generally been pretty competent at it, and other authentic shooters.

So I figured that in Squad, I might be the same. Yet, despite applying the same discipline to this game - managing my stamina, using [Shift] to steady my aim, taking my time and nearly always shooting from at least the crouched position - I just seem to be a terrible shot in this game. Something in my hand eye coordination just doesn't 'click', and I often find myself missing the most academic of targets.

Couple of examples - about a week ago, on Narva. Lying in a bush somewhere near Delta (I think?) with an AK74. Enemy truck comes haring across the bridge, right past me, toward the nearest building. I'm prone and anticipating an immediate decamp. I'm only 15-20 metres away so I switch to full-auto, just in case. The truck comes to a halt against the building, driver and passenger jump out. They are the easiest targets in the world, slightly elevated, very close and having just jumped out of a vehicle, still standing and a little disorientated. I line up on the first guy, fire a single shot and - miss. He drops into the grass, the other guy is moving and turns toward my shot. I panic a little, but take my time, line up on him and fire a burst and...miss. And then, the first guy, now prone, cooly dispatches me with one shot into my perplexed and furrowed brow.

Another example - last night, helping seed a server on...cant remember the map name; small, tight desert town map...has a police station cap? There's only a few of us on, fighting over a single point while waiting for numbers to build. I managed to sneak round, cross the river and come up behind the lines with a G3. As I'm rounding the corner of a building, I see a soldier just disappear around the next corner of the same building, oblivious to me. "GG EZ" I think, so I follow him. I round the next corner and he's no more than 10 metres away, running in the opposite direction - an easy shot for anyone. I have all the time in the world, so I lift the rifle and fire....and merely wing him. He drops down to a crouch and spins around so he is partially hidden by a wall, yet his head and shoulders are still clearly visible. I had the advantage, I should have been able to calmly take a second shot. But for some reason, I just end up blasting away at him, and while he's desperately returning fire and also missing, one of his squad mates turns up and again, demonstrates how someone with proper motor skills should shoot. I retaliated of course in the mature way...by rage quitting and almost throwing my headset across the room.

I just don't know why I'm so bloody terrible in this game. Mouse smoothing is off. I've lowered the sensitivity to .50 for better accuracy of aimed shots. AA is off, not just because I hear it can add to input lag, but also because it improves the FPS. But even so, I don't think my FPS are terrible; probably get 40-50 on average, dropping a bit lower on larger maps, but it doesn't feel obstructive. My internet connection is good. And I'm not engaging particularly difficult targets. Yet, as I said earlier, something just doesn't click with me - shooting doesn't feel natural. I find I'm better with the red dot sight, so have wondered if it's a consequence of the smaller ironsights for militia/insurgent/Russian, but even with a scoped weapon, I'm none too handy.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game. And I appreciate that being able to shoot the wings off a fly isn't necessarily a key requirement - suppression, working as a team to take down targets, etc are all arguably much more important in a game which rewards teamwork over a good KDR. I appreciate that, and I engage fully with that mantra, but sometimes, I just cant help but get frustrated that I find the fundamental mechanic of a first-person shooter so bloody difficult. It saps your confidence a bit thinking that every firefight you enter you are destined to lose. 

Anyone else feel the same?

Or am I just bloody terrible and should l2p nub lololol etc :)

SHO-SHIN   

Here's soem questions that will help this thread along.

1. How many hour in Squad do you have?

2. Are you missing shots or are you too late in shooting?

3. What resolution are you playing at?

4. Turn your graphics to shadows medium, view distance high and everything else off or low, this is the current community tournament settings.

DaiaBu   

1. 71hrs according to Steam (yes, I know, noob) - unfortunately I don't get to devote huge time to the game.

2. In the scenarios in my OP, probably the former - these were at ranges where bullet travel time is almost irrelevant and against targets which didn't know I was there until. I'm not questioning myself when I miss due to poor leading on long distance targets, etc - I brought up the thread because sometimes, as per my examples, I'm utterly hopeless even on simple targets with no deflection when I have all the time in the world . :P

3. 1920x1080. FOV = 90.

4. The thing is, I'm no competitive player; ultimately, I would prefer to maintain decent graphics settings and enjoy the immersion, rather than reducing graphics settings purely to improve my ability to spot enemies. I try and reduce settings only to keep the game feeling smooth. However, I might give this a try and see if it improves my aim any. Thanks :)

EDIT: just to add, this post is absolutely not a criticism of the game. I do love it, I just wanted to see if anyone else finds it as much of a challenge at the most fundamental level.

Edited by DaiaBu

SHO-SHIN   
27 minutes ago, DaiaBu said:

2. In the scenarios in my OP, probably the former - these were at ranges where bullet travel time is almost irrelevant and against targets which didn't know I was there until.

It could be to do with judging the range well, I personally suffered with this.

I often found I was over guessing the range, i.e target was say 300m away and I was guessing it was 450m. Obviously experience has helped here (im over 1,000 hours in now) but the best thing was actually using my map way, way more than I was.

I also found a significant improvement going to 1440p for Squad and ranged shooting.

wingman9   

I'm also a terrible shot. I've improved since I started taking a fraction of a second to line up my shot. Previously, I just started shooting like a dope.

Carlos   

What I would suggest as me and some of the guys I play with did.  Go to the firing range with an AK and practice the timed target section... practice and practice it will help a lot with quick close up ironsight shots.  Aim for sub 40sec and you should be good.

Tip... reload before you go in to get that extra round.

Edited by Carlos

DaiaBu   
43 minutes ago, SHO-SHIN said:

It could be to do with judging the range well, I personally suffered with this.

I often found I was over guessing the range, i.e target was say 300m away and I was guessing it was 450m. Obviously experience has helped here (im over 1,000 hours in now) but the best thing was actually using my map way, way more than I was.

I also found a significant improvement going to 1440p for Squad and ranged shooting.

I'm not brilliant at judging distance in the game either, I admit. I have to snatch a look at the map to be accurate. But given that I'm having trouble with targets 30 metres away, trying to hit someone at 300 metres is like p***ing in the wind :D

As for 1440p, no can do, 1080p is maximum for my monitor. Besides, I think that'd be too much of a performance hit on my system.

17 minutes ago, wingman9 said:

I'm also a terrible shot. I've improved since I started taking a fraction of a second to line up my shot. Previously, I just started shooting like a dope.

Hah! That's the thing, even when I take time on my shots, I still feel hopeless.

10 minutes ago, Carlos said:

What I would suggest as me and some of the guys I play with did.  Go to the firing range with an AK and practice the timed target section... practice and practice it will help a lot with quick close up ironsight shots.  Aim for sub 40sec and you should be good.

Tip... reload before you go in to get that extra round.

Hmm, I might try that. I'll be honest, the only time I go into the firing range is to muck around with graphics settings. perhaps I should actually trying using it properly. 

Oh, I'm also from Kent. High five.

Edited by DaiaBu

suds   

best to practise in the server you want to play on.

latency effects results and realistic movement makes the time valuable. 

me:

Snap reaction shots - yes I am awesome.

Moving target with time to line up - this is the easiest.

Stationary target at 150m+ and shooting back at me - seems impossible to hit them sometimes. Perhaps it is invisible cover they are behind...I have yet to decide if it is best to dodge and return fire or stop and hope they dont hit me first.

guy i just winged who is bandaging in front of me - war crime time.

Converge   

I know exactly what you mean, but not for Squad.  Im a damn good shot in Squad if I do say so. But when I play PUBG I can't hit shit. The games have different physics, ballistics, engine, etc etc so that all leads to the differences.

I find in Squad I know just how far to lead a runner, I keep careful watch on my stamina so I'm not trying to make a shot in the red, and just as importantly my FPS is good enough and I have my sensitivity just right. I have 200 hours but I've been playing a while. I stop playing for months sometimes if other games are out I want.

It is frustrating though that feeling.  Its one of the reasons I haven't been playing PUBG much, I hate not making shots I know that I should. I love the shooting in Squad though, my favorite by far.

Edited by Converge

DaiaBu   

I think one of the problems is I'm slow to correct my aim after each shot. So before I started playing this evening, I upped my mouse sensitivity from .50 to .75, and it started to feel a bit more natural, although I might lose a little precision at long range. Perhaps I just need more time in game.

Gews   

Not particularly. My frames aren't that great these days either. 

14 hours ago, DaiaBu said:

I find I'm better with the red dot sight, so have wondered if it's a consequence of the smaller ironsights for militia/insurgent/Russian, but even with a scoped weapon, I'm none too handy.

Red dot is okay but for whatever reason I seem to get the most satisfaction tapping with AKM, of the non-magnified sights.

Peerun   

Go on the training range and try to shoot as fast as you can without missing a shot. Then hit the targets when moving sideways. Then check your ping before joining a server.

40mmrain   

I'm a decent enough shot, but I do wish that first-shot accuracy was a bit lower, the game is a little bit too much about who's the best at clicking on the enemy and less about who has the best strategy right now. Just be more liberal on how much sway the rifle has when the player is moving/just stopped moving..

6 hours ago, Gews said:

Not particularly. My frames aren't that great these days either. 

Red dot is okay but for whatever reason I seem to get the most satisfaction tapping with AKM, of the non-magnified sights.

well played, which 

- sensitivity value did you use ingame,

- mouse dpi value

- cursor acceleration in windows (on or off) ?

3 hours ago, 40mmrain said:

I'm a decent enough shot, but I do wish that first-shot accuracy was a bit lower, the game is a little bit too much about who's the best at clicking on the enemy and less about who has the best strategy right now. Just be more liberal on how much sway the rifle has when the player is moving/just stopped moving..

I agree, in the recent interview Irontaxi did, he said that the whole shooting/aiming mechanism will be completely reworked with alpha 10 to something that is kind of a mix of PR and Squad, so we will get longer lasting firefights.

DaiaBu   
12 hours ago, SonofMarsV said:

Try hunching your back forward so that your face is 2" away from the screen. 

I used to do this, then I went out and bought a monitor stand so I could bring the screen closer. Certainly helps.

Cavazos   

You need to spend a lot of time training at the shooting range. You don't want to take too much time to aim and shoot because you will always have some deviation and can still miss. However, you need to know what are the most rounds you can get on your target while being the most accurate. If you really want to improve your shooting, spend more time at the range than you are in servers. That may not sound like fun, but that is the only way you will get better.

You can also look into your mouse settings, in detail. Click here and look at this mouse guide. This will go over every single thing you didn't even know about your mouse. You need to make sure your basic aiming tool is perfect for use. Once you are set, do some Russian mouse training. Those guys are hardcore. Click here for the website.

Edited by Cavazos

2 hours ago, Cavazos said:

If you really want to improve your shooting, spend more time at the range than you are in servers.

I don't think this is necessary at all. Out 800+ hours of squad I've spent maybe 5 hours in the training range, and out of those about 3 screwing around with vehicles instead of doing the shooting house thingy. Despite that I feel I'm above average when it comes to aim. 

Shooting in Squad is weird. I don't think I deserved to hit half of the long-distance shots I made and I sure as hell should have hit much more of the short-distance shots than the servers thought I did. Maybe the mentioned rework of shooting mechanics might improve things, we'll have to wait and see. 

LugNut   

I'm you OP, as an old guy, I can't compete with young guns in twitch shooters, but in games like RO/RO2, I'm a smart player and very competent shot, one where I feel confident trying to clear a house by myself or facing off in a shootout with someone at any distance and coming out alive. In Squad though, I'm mostly a spaz where half of the time I line up on an unsuspecting player, I'm the one who ends up dead. Where if I take down someone at range, it was a lucky shot and not one I congratulate myself on. I've got a year in game and a bunch of hours, I've trained on the range and while those things have all helped, for the most part, the gunplay for me just feels like I'm hungover and akward. Now, to be fair, my rig sucks, so my fps is often in the 20/30s which is partly to blame, and I honestly like how sometimes when you find yourself in a firefight with someone and you're both blazing away while in your head you're going "ohshitohshitohshit" unlike in other games where snapping off a kill shot is numbingly routine. I like to blame my gear and I play support roles for the most part, if I'm at the tip of the spear, I'm wasting everyone's time. 

I'm hoping optimization will help me out. 

Gews   
15 hours ago, Phoenixstorm said:

well played, which 

- sensitivity value did you use ingame,

- mouse dpi value

- cursor acceleration in windows (on or off) ?

0.44, 800 dpi, off.

Cavazos   
8 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

I don't think this is necessary at all. Out 800+ hours of squad I've spent maybe 5 hours in the training range, and out of those about 3 screwing around with vehicles instead of doing the shooting house thingy. Despite that I feel I'm above average when it comes to aim. 

Shooting in Squad is weird. I don't think I deserved to hit half of the long-distance shots I made and I sure as hell should have hit much more of the short-distance shots than the servers thought I did. Maybe the mentioned rework of shooting mechanics might improve things, we'll have to wait and see. 

A rework of shooting mechanics because someone can't shoot? Really?

11 hours ago, LugNut said:

....Now, to be fair, my rig sucks, so my fps is often in the 20/30s which is partly to blame, and I honestly like how sometimes when you find yourself in a firefight with someone and you're both blazing away while in your head you're going "ohshitohshitohshit" unlike in other games where snapping off a kill shot is numbingly routine. I like to blame my gear and I play support roles for the most part, if I'm at the tip of the spear, I'm wasting everyone's time. 

I'm hoping optimization will help me out. 

Totally mate, I had a rig with 30ish FPS and only played medic because of it, if you get a better rig/the game gets better performance and you hit that 50-60 FPS your aiming/shooting will feel so much better!

Don´t worry, you may be a bit older but in this case I am sure that its your rig that is kinda sucky and not you.

7 hours ago, Cavazos said:

A rework of shooting mechanics because someone can't shoot? Really?

Don't be daft, of course if the shooting gets re-worked it will happen because it needs improvement, not because someone (as you delicately put it) can't shoot. As far as I can tell, shooting system is one of the oldest mechanics in the game, and one that saw only minor  changes over time, so there's definitely room for improvement there.