DaiaBu

Are you a good shot?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gews said:

0.44, 800 dpi, off.

Thanks

Edited by Phoenixstorm

I've just turned off Enhanced Pointer Precision in Windows.

I now can't hit my Start menu without a couple of attempts, but I'm gonna give it a while in game to see if it makes a difference. I've always had it enabled and not had problems in other games, but perhaps the UE4 engine works slightly differently.

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread. I'm having a much harder time shooting in Squad than in any other game I've played. Partly, I like it because it's somewhat realistic. But I think I'm actually having a harder time shooting in Squad than I do IRL, hehe. Improvements to the shooting system would be welcome.

I consider myself a pretty good shot in Squad. I have played FPS games ever since I was a wee kiddy on Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, right up to CS:GO and even console shooters like Goldeneye, COD and halo. In my early 20's (oh god where did it all go!) I played in one of the best counter strike source teams in the UK at the time, so I know my way around FPS games in general whether they are twitch shooters or not. 

Here's a list of  tips and observations I've had to come to terms with in Squad and FPS shooters over the years.

1. Take nothing for granted

Never assume because you are in a good position and you have the drop on the enemy that your first shot or two will drop them. Be prepared to miss and adjust your aim before it actually happens. This is definitely one to remember in Squad as once I got to grips with allowing for mistakes to be made I stopped making as many mistakes as it were.

2. Fire when ready 

Don't shoot as soon as you see the enemy but also don't take too long to shoot. As a guide to practice try shooting within 3 seconds of spotting a viable target. Obviously this changes depending on squad orders (weapons hold, weapons free) and situations (close range face-to-face, medium/short range on unsuspecting opponent, short rage.). Note: What makes a viable target is down to your game sense which is a whole other topic.

3. The G3 sucks

This is just my opinion but avoid the G3 for now. I find it the most difficult gun to aim Squad and I'm just not a fan of its iron sight in general or in fact anything about it. It's dump.

4. Be prepared

Information on targets from your and other squads and sounds are your friends. I find that the majority of my close to medium range encounters are won not by my aiming skill but by sound. I have a good idea where the enemy are before I round a corner based on my map, footsteps and gun fire. If you get the drop on your opponents and you're already aiming in their direction when you breach cover to shoot, you're already halfway there.

5. Semi and full auto

I recommend you only use semi auto until you are happy with your aim. Full auto is just going to frustrate you and cause you to panic more. Full auto is great in many situations but semi auto can be just as powerful and effective in many of the same situations too. It will help you practice your aim and keep you calm when you're gunning in all situations. Definitely one of my top tips and pieces of advice for you.

6. Don't be afraid to fire from the hip in close quarters

As a squad lead a lot of the time on Russia and USA factions I have an optic. I like to get my hands dirty too and I can't tell you how many times in close quarters I've nailed several players in super close quarters without bothering to right click and zoom. The weapon fires in the centre of the screen so if you're standing still and you compensate recoil by moving the mouse slowly down, you'll get them before they get you.

7. Keep your aim centred at all times

Generally speaking with less accomplished FPS players (I'm not saying you are, I know you're only having trouble with aiming in squad but this is still worth making sure you're doing) they tend to keep their aim pointing more towards the floor or horizon when moving around. I find that no matter the situation, if you're always keeping your "cross hair" directly in front of you then you will find it easier to point at things when the time comes, as it will be a natural movement from point A to B.

8. Controlling recoil

Semi auto, full auto, whatever, your gun is going to kick upwards. The faster you fire the more it goes up. Practice bringing it down. If you are going to be shooting rapid semi auto shots you need to compensate more. If you are tap, tap tapping away you need to do it less. It's going to take some practice and by putting more hours into Squad you will get used to it. All shooters have their gun play nuances and it's just a case of learning these.

9: Decision making

This doesn't necessarily come directly into aiming weapons in Squad but on the subject of suppression I don't really agree with using it as a tactic in the situations you've illustrated in your OP. You should be settling for nothing other than killing the enemy and surviving. If you for some reason fire and you miss, your choice of what to do next is a vital one. You've already given away your position to the enemy in view and others around. If you try to suppress you're only digging yourself in deeper. Moving around and finding cover and 'digging in' somewhere and making them come to you can make your life a lot easier. It's much easier to shoot soldiers coming through a doorway than out in the open at multiple angles. This makes your aiming skill much less of an issue.

10. Confidence:

Every FPS shooter requires a degree of competence but also confidence. If you feel like you can't aim or you have rubber bullets or your gun is under powered then that's going to reflect your kill tally no doubt. When you spawn say to yourself 'I'm going to kill 1 and live.' Then when you get one, say to yourself, I'm going to make sure I get two now. Take it one step at a time and your confidence will build. But don't get carried away and do something silly :)

Hope that helps 

\Salute

Posted (edited)
On 07/27/2017 at 9:31 AM, DaiaBu said:

I've just turned off Enhanced Pointer Precision in Windows.

I now can't hit my Start menu without a couple of attempts, but I'm gonna give it a while in game to see if it makes a difference. I've always had it enabled and not had problems in other games, but perhaps the UE4 engine works slightly differently.

You definitely don't want mouse acceleration on either. You want the most smooth and consistent drag as possible.

Id also highly suggest you get a mouse with dpi adjustment buttons. I seriously would not be able to get by without one.

I use and highly recommend the Razer Taipan. It's an ambidextrous mouse and the buttons will work without the software installed.

Before people start hating on Razer, I will say that I have had bad luck with them in the past as well but this mouse is going on 3 years and I plan on buying another one shortly as it's been great. Either way, get something with DPI buttons.

Reasoning being that you will have different sensitivities between windows and games. For example I keep my dpi up 2 clicks from the bottom on my desktop and depending on the game I click to the lowest or 2nd lowest DPI. Without a adjustment button it would be a pain in the ass. I can't reach sensitivity low enough in games with the sensitivity I have for my desktop. Most games I am between 0 and 1 for sensitivity and my windows sens is only like 35%. It's weird.

That's why you can't hit your start button now as easy. You have a good setting in game but now to slow for windows. If you had a mouse with DPI buttons you could just click up a couple when you exit your games and you would be fine.

Edited by Converge

I already have one (Logitech G500) but I much prefer sticking to a constant DPI. Been playing tonight and I think it feels better now, although it could be placebo. It doesn't take long to get used to the movement in Windows, and I just use the adjustment buttons for other uses, like fire mode.

I'm a Old git...For most if my life i played with a Roller Mouse and since joining with the times with fancy mouses with 100 different setting's, i can't shot nowt.

Now don't get me wrong i was quite good,once upon a time.

Sometime ago i went back to my Old love JointOperations to see if i still got the killer eye.

Well Fook me after 2 games i got the Killer instinct. .

K/D: 69 /Deaths: 8 /HeadShots:29. Top of the list... :D

I think Squad,(personally for myself) has loads of ingame settings that i haven't worked out yet...Because I'm Old & Stupid. :$

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, DaiaBu said:

I already have one (Logitech G500) but I much prefer sticking to a constant DPI. Been playing tonight and I think it feels better now, although it could be placebo. It doesn't take long to get used to the movement in Windows, and I just use the adjustment buttons for other uses, like fire mode.

Why? That doesn't make sense.  If you're windows is too slow and your game is just right, just upclick your DPI once when you back out of a game.  It isn't that complicated.  Don't make things harder on yourself.... You don't have to settle or compromise for just "okay"!

Edited by Converge

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Converge said:

Why? That doesn't make sense.  If you're windows is too slow and your game is just right, just upclick your DPI once when you back out of a game.  It isn't that complicated.  Don't make things harder on yourself.... You don't have to settle or compromise for just "okay"!

I'm not? I never said my Windows sensitivity was too slow... it was just that for an hour or so after turning off pointer precision, it felt a bit weird. 

Besides, surely the benefit of adjustable DPI is being able to change it on the fly whilst in the game... Eg, switching between precision and speed... because the sensitivity can be adjusted separately for Windows and the game. That's what I don't bother with, I just set the sensitivity to what I'm comfortable with in the control settings and stick with it. Thats not compromising, or making it harder on myself, I just prefer a consistent sensitivity in game. To each, his own :)

Edited by DaiaBu

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2017 at 7:09 AM, SHO-SHIN said:

It could be to do with judging the range well, I personally suffered with this.

I often found I was over guessing the range, i.e target was say 300m away and I was guessing it was 450m. Obviously experience has helped here (im over 1,000 hours in now) but the best thing was actually using my map way, way more than I was.

I also found a significant improvement going to 1440p for Squad and ranged shooting.

Hm. Currently playing at 1680x1050. Might be the final push to opt for something bigger than 1050 or 1080p. My GTX1050 will need a bit of a jump, my i5-6600K is already O/C to 4.7 up from 3.5 lol.

Edited by Arduras

17 hours ago, DaiaBu said:

I'm not? I never said my Windows sensitivity was too slow... it was just that for an hour or so after turning off pointer precision, it felt a bit weird. 

Besides, surely the benefit of adjustable DPI is being able to change it on the fly whilst in the game... Eg, switching between precision and speed... because the sensitivity can be adjusted separately for Windows and the game. That's what I don't bother with, I just set the sensitivity to what I'm comfortable with in the control settings and stick with it. Thats not compromising, or making it harder on myself, I just prefer a consistent sensitivity in game. To each, his own :)

Ah yeah, I re-read your one post.  I thought you had said it was too slow. 

But in any case, my point on the DPI adjustment is that it isn't always possible to reach the desired sensitivity setting in games if you have mouse acceleration off and your windows set to the point you want.  If my mouse was set at 1600 DPI constantly, or higher- there would be no way I'd be able to get the sensitivity low enough in the game options for it to work.  For example if I kept my DPI constant then even 0 sensitivity in game would still be far too fast.  If you're not running into the problem then I guess you don't really need one.  I couldn't live without being able to change it with the buttons on the mouse quickly.

It's been said but to reiterate... FOV 90... sensitivity between .1 and .2

When I FIRST started I used the max FOV and the default sensitivity and I thought the aiming in the game was shit...  

Been dropping people with ease since I switched.

Easy topic for me - I can't remember when I was able to hit anyone as it's impossible with frame rates I'm getting in Squad. So I just try to look good in uniform and I don't bother with kill ratio.

Gun play and aiming are different things. Gun mechanics do not really effect a player's ability to point and shoot with your mouse. The OP seems to have problems with pointing and shooting not gun play mechanics.

On 7/31/2017 at 3:17 PM, CHIEF HOTSTICK said:

When I FIRST started I used the max FOV and the default sensitivity and I thought the aiming in the game was shit...  

THANK YOU! This should be included in all the manuals. Changing these settings worked miracles for my shooting ability. The second part of it was changing tactics to being a lot smarter and sneakier. Overall, I went from 3-4 kills a game to 5-10.

Posted (edited)

On 7/31/2017 at 3:17 PM, CHIEF HOTSTICK said:

I play at 0.30 with 800 DPI. I guess I could switch to 0.15 with 1600 DPI but then I'd have to use mouse-sensitivity.com and go through the process with about 4 other games. Meh. I generally aim for ~8"/360 and while I'm not amazing, I'm a reliable shot.

Edited by Arduras

On 7/25/2017 at 5:12 AM, DaiaBu said:

Because I'm not. And I sometimes find it bloody frustrating.

I would hope to be humble enough never to think too much of my own skill level in games. But I've always enjoyed more "realistic", or at least, authentic shooters which favour realistic weapon handling and slower gameplay, as opposed to twitchy, 360noscope mlg 1v1omg games. As a result, I tend to think I'm not too bad a shot - I've been playing the Red Orchestra series ever since it was a UT2k3 mod, and although I know the latest iterations were considered a bit dumbed down (argument for another time), I still think they represent and encourage slower, more accurate gunplay. And I've generally been pretty competent at it, and other authentic shooters.

So I figured that in Squad, I might be the same. Yet, despite applying the same discipline to this game - managing my stamina, using [Shift] to steady my aim, taking my time and nearly always shooting from at least the crouched position - I just seem to be a terrible shot in this game. Something in my hand eye coordination just doesn't 'click', and I often find myself missing the most academic of targets.

Couple of examples - about a week ago, on Narva. Lying in a bush somewhere near Delta (I think?) with an AK74. Enemy truck comes haring across the bridge, right past me, toward the nearest building. I'm prone and anticipating an immediate decamp. I'm only 15-20 metres away so I switch to full-auto, just in case. The truck comes to a halt against the building, driver and passenger jump out. They are the easiest targets in the world, slightly elevated, very close and having just jumped out of a vehicle, still standing and a little disorientated. I line up on the first guy, fire a single shot and - miss. He drops into the grass, the other guy is moving and turns toward my shot. I panic a little, but take my time, line up on him and fire a burst and...miss. And then, the first guy, now prone, cooly dispatches me with one shot into my perplexed and furrowed brow.

Another example - last night, helping seed a server on...cant remember the map name; small, tight desert town map...has a police station cap? There's only a few of us on, fighting over a single point while waiting for numbers to build. I managed to sneak round, cross the river and come up behind the lines with a G3. As I'm rounding the corner of a building, I see a soldier just disappear around the next corner of the same building, oblivious to me. "GG EZ" I think, so I follow him. I round the next corner and he's no more than 10 metres away, running in the opposite direction - an easy shot for anyone. I have all the time in the world, so I lift the rifle and fire....and merely wing him. He drops down to a crouch and spins around so he is partially hidden by a wall, yet his head and shoulders are still clearly visible. I had the advantage, I should have been able to calmly take a second shot. But for some reason, I just end up blasting away at him, and while he's desperately returning fire and also missing, one of his squad mates turns up and again, demonstrates how someone with proper motor skills should shoot. I retaliated of course in the mature way...by rage quitting and almost throwing my headset across the room.

I just don't know why I'm so bloody terrible in this game. Mouse smoothing is off. I've lowered the sensitivity to .50 for better accuracy of aimed shots. AA is off, not just because I hear it can add to input lag, but also because it improves the FPS. But even so, I don't think my FPS are terrible; probably get 40-50 on average, dropping a bit lower on larger maps, but it doesn't feel obstructive. My internet connection is good. And I'm not engaging particularly difficult targets. Yet, as I said earlier, something just doesn't click with me - shooting doesn't feel natural. I find I'm better with the red dot sight, so have wondered if it's a consequence of the smaller ironsights for militia/insurgent/Russian, but even with a scoped weapon, I'm none too handy.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game. And I appreciate that being able to shoot the wings off a fly isn't necessarily a key requirement - suppression, working as a team to take down targets, etc are all arguably much more important in a game which rewards teamwork over a good KDR. I appreciate that, and I engage fully with that mantra, but sometimes, I just cant help but get frustrated that I find the fundamental mechanic of a first-person shooter so bloody difficult. It saps your confidence a bit thinking that every firefight you enter you are destined to lose. 

Anyone else feel the same?

Or am I just bloody terrible and should l2p nub lololol etc :)

This helped with me... *(hopefully this helps with you :l)* 

I used to be like you, always lining up shots. But, as found, like you, I always was missing my shots. A couple weeks later, after watching some helmet cam footage from Afghanistan, I came to conclusion that 99% of the time combat was based off of suppressive fire. I decided to put this mindset into game. If I am taking fire, I will shoot in the direction in which I think the shots are coming from. Sometimes this gets me kills. If I see an enemy, I put as much rounds down range as I can in their direction...  Usually, 1-5 rounds hits them, and theyre gone. For example, Instead of lining up my shot in your situation, I would (as some might say) spray suppressive fire near their position. 9 out of 10 times, they will hit the deck, and I will be able to spray the cover in  which theyre at (your situation grass). This often helps me aid my kills.

Hopefully this helps, Trevor

I must say I struggled with this in the beginning. 

I'm now getting to a stage where I'm doing pretty well

But as others have mentioned, don't expect to hit every shot.

I've found the follow up shots are what is important. If you miss then just stay calm and treat every follow up shot as if it where your first.

Once you get over the panic you end up hitting more with the follow up shots than the first one. Most of my kills come from trading shots and just landing more

of the return fire that the enemy. Oneshot kills are not the norm so don't expect them to be.

Ping is a factor but its not actually that bad.

I always play with high ping - in the 200 - 270 range - and I rack up 10 - 20 kills a game fairly often. But just as often I dont kill anyone.

There are matches where I feel like I cant hit anything, but then these games are followed by ones where I feel like Im the Deathbringer incarnate.

Confidence is a big thing too.Don't let a few bad rounds get to you.

The game is much more than just killing dudes. The moments where you are hunkered down and bullets are flying around and you just desperately want to stay alive are part of the fun. In this game more than most I would learn to love the parts that aren't directly COD killstreaks related.

What I find to be most effective is to approach combat in this game as goal orientated. Instead of the goal being just simply "kill those guys over there" treat it more like

"keep those guys occupied/ suppressed and deny them movement through this area so that those friendlies can approach from a flank or bypass these baddies"

Then you have a definite purpose, where if you dont actually manage to kill anyone its not the biggest deal. Your combat contribution is still valid and has created an environment where you and your allies can overcome the enemy, not win a marksmanship contest.

When in doubt, suppress the [email protected]

Posted (edited)

I'm an excellent shot with over 550 hours. 

The only thing in the game which is highly unique in regards to aiming is how much stamina and movement dominate accuracy.  

Basically, conserved stamina is an accuracy buff while movement is an accuracy debuff.  Whoever has the most stamina and is moving the least tends to win the encounter. All other considerations come secondary to this understanding.

Thus the key to getting shots on target and dropping the enemy is maximizing stamina and minimizing movement during a shot. 

Of course this is really hard to achieve since like all FPS games the gameplay rewards aggression/speed and movement. So what do you do?

Always try and halt and steady, even for a split second, in order to recover a semblance of precision before a shot. Remember that slow beats fast. Remember that pausing to regain stamina, even in very close encounters, helps you produce an overmatch. Know that the one who sprints is usually already dead. 

Obviously this isn't enough. You also need to recognize the limitations of the weapons. I suggest stability after the first shot is critical.

Most of us can make the first shot, but rarely does that first shot drop the target.

Unless you brain the guy, opponents take two-plus rounds (or two-plus bleed time) to kill. For me, only a few guns can keep a decent amount of stability after two rounds while also putting rounds out fast enough to waste a guy, even on single shot, even at close range. 

And if you just ran up to a wall and acquired a target, better hope you have one of the two guns below!

All the pistols can make multiple shots at almost any stamina or movement state. And the ironsight M4 with front grip can do it too (this is the best weapon in the game for continuous fighting ability at all ranges). Pistols and the M4 both recover faster from the bounce of the previous shot and retain precision even if exhausted than all other weapons (even the Psssshhhhhh). Pistols and the M4 also benefit from excellent sites. 

You should recognize that weapons like all AKs are challenging to make shots with at all ranges, due to their high recoil and poor sights, and especially challenging when put on full auto.

Full auto is all but useless at range and almost never effective as a hose even at close range. Too much kick. Too much blinding down the sights. Too hard to judge shot placement after the first handful of rounds. 

Where full auto is useful is when 1) you expect CQB, 2) you use full auto to place a burst into your target.

Burst fire at close range (5-10 feet max at 3-4 bullets per) is highly effective, but you need to learn the ROF and how quickly the gun jumps per shot. Again, the ironsite M4 with forward grip is the king here. Epic rate of fire, the best stability in the game, good sites and very low kick compared to all other weapons. You can go FA with this weapon out to 20 feet or so and make three/four shot kills. 

Also crouch > prone (because you can move without losing stamina while crouched). 

And finally. A little trick. The game seems to treat W/S movement different from A/S. Only forward or backwards movement soaks stamina.  But you can sprint while sidestepping. Also spinning without W/S movement doesn't seem to effect accuracy at all. 

So.

You can slice the pie (sidestep around a target, or corner, etc) while holding your zoom/stabilize/sprint button and adjusting aim.  As long as you only tap the forward and back buttons to make minor adjustments, you can maintain zoom, sprint (as a sidestep), and stability. Toss a lean in, too. It is brutal. You will turn corners locked in at speed and suffer very little loss of accuracy. 

All this assumes your your rig can drive the game at a playable pace. ;)

1440/90fps/FOV 100

Mouse is at .34 and smoothing on. 

Edited by Sixhits
Addition, clarification, settings

I was a pretty bad at shooting in the game early on, just load up the practice range and do that for a while and you will get alot better.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sixhits said:

Basically, conserved stamina is an accuracy buff while movement is an accuracy debuff.  Whoever has the most stamina and is moving the least tends to win the encounter. All other considerations come secondary to this understanding.

Ahaha, I didn't even know this was a mechanic! That must be why I have such great aim. I always move slow to scan my surroundings properly and conserve stamina unless I need to cross a street or flank quickly. I'm usually around 75% stamina. This is a very good tip to know, and I didn't even know it was affecting my aim! Thank you.

There really are so many factors that can affect your aim from game to game and computer to computer. Sometimes it is very hard to find out what exactly is making someone's aim poor.

Edited by Cavazos

Thanks for the replies all. I've been paying a bit more attention to my mouse setup recently. I switched the mouse DPI up to 1600 but dropped the in game sensitivity down to 0.3 and it feels smoother. Testing on the range and it seems to skip less pixels than using a lower DPI setting with higher in game sensitivity, which I guess makes sense.

And last night I was in a game where I managed to get 16 kills which is almost unheard of for me. My aiming still needs work but it was feeling much more natural popping off shots at distant targets...im by no means expert, but I felt a lot less like I was missing something fundamental.

In the mean time I'll keep playing medic, a role where I can still be useful without being a great marksman.