Sign in to follow this  
-MG

Need new PC screen

Welp, my pc screen pooped itself after 6+ years if service ?. It was showing green pixels from time to time for a while and this morning it would barely display anything and if it did it was all in purple while my Tv screen doesn't show these artifacts so yeah, in need of a new screen.

Anyone got recomendations in the 300€range ?. 350€max ?.

Alright MG,

For Squad I would say 27'' 1440p (if your system can run decent FPS at this resolution) is a sweet spot, many of the cheaper screens of this type can go to 70/75Hz refresh rate.

This is a surprisingly good choice (I have one):
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-iiyama-b2783qsu-b1-free-sync-tn-led-monitor-2560-x-1440-1ms-350cd-m2-hdmi-dvi-dp-usb-swivel-pivot

The question is can it ?. atm i'm really stuck cuz, i want  to go with a higher res screen but my oudated rig might not run it i dont know about my 4670k @ 3,8ghz and 1070g1. ith that being said, i can't wait 6 months till intel's new CPu'c ome out to get a new mobo and cpu and screen, i can't go 6 months without screen either. 

And as far as screens go i'm clueless. I only know 1080 and 1440 and different sizes and that Gtg is time in miliseconds on how fast pixels will refresh. 

My rig can do decent FPS but it using UE engine and not being totally optimized it can shit itself at 1080

If you estimate going from 1080 to 1440 will cost 10fps then you'll be fine in the choice, or get the 1440p and run it at 1080p until your rig is updated.

Either way you want 1440p for Squad, trust me on this I have many screens!

12 minutes ago, SHO-SHIN said:

If you estimate going from 1080 to 1440 will cost 10fps then you'll be fine in the choice, or get the 1440p and run it at 1080p until your rig is updated.

Either way you want 1440p for Squad, trust me on this I have many screens!

i know :P, i'm just doubting my own rig lol. Also is iimaya a reliable brand ?. My samsung did 6+ years so yeah...
Can spend 300€ish euros on a screen

whilst not famous in gaming, iiyama is a very solid monitor brand - good build and performance vs price.

Decent low lag for it's price range it's a very solid buy.

12 minutes ago, JarryHead said:

Just to check, have you at least tried another cable?

Wel ever since i installed my 1070 back in May i had green lines and green pxiels showing. I'm starting to suspect that i's my GPU....
Cuz my TV that i use as a 2nd screen doesn't show these artifacts at all so then i'm guessing it's my pc screen again.

I have no other screens then my TV and PC screen to test with.  

3 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

whilst not famous in gaming, iiyama is a very solid monitor brand - good build and performance vs price.

Decent low lag for it's price range it's a very solid buy.

I seem to find that people find the backlight bleed annoying. If you have the screen could you possibly show me how much the bleed is in a dark room ?.

52 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

We mostly buy ASUS ROG equipment in our house. 

Meh yeah, but i can't afford to spend 1 month house rent on a screen m8. 

21 minutes ago, -MG said:

I seem to find that people find the backlight bleed annoying. If you have the screen could you possibly show me how much the bleed is in a dark room ?.

Meh yeah, but i can't afford to spend 1 month house rent on a screen m8. 

Oh sorry. In the USA TVs, appliances and computer junk are dirt cheap. I got a huge Asus ROG gaming monitor at Fry's a couple months ago for $300.

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Oh sorry. In the USA TVs, appliances and computer junk are dirt cheap. I got a huge Asus ROG gaming monitor at Fry's a couple months ago for $300.

Do you got model name ?

2 hours ago, -MG said:

sure, with iphone camera and flash on or off? Game on or windows screen?

i know nothing about taking photos so you need to tell me what to do here.

20 minutes ago, SHO-SHIN said:

sure, with iphone camera and flash on or off? Game on or windows screen?

i know nothing about taking photos so you need to tell me what to do here.

Darkroom with game on and some windows screen and no lights whatsoever :P. 
Really wanna see how bad the bleed is. Btw my monitor seems resurected but i dont know how long it'll last :P. 

thanks

5 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

ok will do it's a TN panel not IPS mind.

I'm not sure what that means, but i read that TN is not so great for video editing which i do. Not professionally but i wonder what the difference is on that aspect.

13 minutes ago, -MG said:

I'm not sure what that means, but i read that TN is not so great for video editing which i do. Not professionally but i wonder what the difference is on that aspect.

I found the colour reproduction and viewing angles to be worse on TN over IPS, IPS tends to have more backlight bleed.

Generally (in this price range) TN will have less input lag, i.e more responsive for FPS but only by a bit.

IPS tends to cost more, so you may struggle with 27, 1440p IPS in your budget. 

8 minutes ago, SHO-SHIN said:

I found the colour reproduction and viewing angles to be worse on TN over IPS, IPS tends to have more backlight bleed.

Generally (in this price range) TN will have less input lag, i.e more responsive for FPS but only by a bit.

IPS tends to cost more, so you may struggle with 27, 1440p IPS in your budget. 

What would be a reasonable entry price range be if i'd look at 27, 1440p IPS i

Edited by -MG

Yes same range, likely same panel with a slightly better implementation.

Review some IPS vs TN on youtube and then once thats decided we can drill down easier.

8 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

Yes same range, likely same panel with a slightly better implementation.

Review some IPS vs TN on youtube and then once thats decided we can drill down easier.

Really dont know what to do now

TN = Fast response time but low grade colors and variates depending on how you sit.
IPS = Slower response, more chance on ghosting but higher color range and seems less of a PITA to deal with overall and less backlighting it seems....

Found this model = iiyama ProLite X2788QS-B1, 27" (not branded as gaming screen though)

Edited by -MG

1 hour ago, -MG said:

Really dont know what to do now

TN = Fast response time but low grade colors and variates depending on how you sit.
IPS = Slower response, more chance on ghosting but higher color range and seems less of a PITA to deal with overall and less backlighting it seems....

Found this model = iiyama ProLite X2788QS-B1, 27" (not branded as gaming screen though)

TN vs IPS discussion is simple - save money and buy a high end one. A good TN has colours very close to a good IPS and IPS has response times very close to a good TN. In the end you won't really be able to tell, only giveaway are the view angles, which only matters if you want other people looking at your screen.

1 hour ago, banOkay said:

TN vs IPS discussion is simple - save money and buy a high end one. A good TN has colours very close to a good IPS and IPS has response times very close to a good TN. In the end you won't really be able to tell, only giveaway are the view angles, which only matters if you want other people looking at your screen.

High-end what ?. TN ?. Also i learned that it's not that great for editing. Which i like to do from time to time. 
Not like i make high end movies but more so planning on making gameplay content in a movie way if that makes sense.

So that's where i'm stuck. What price range is considered high ?. i can afford to go 400€