Emperor Palpatine

High End PC: Low Performance

7 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Sorry for late response, been busy the past couple of days. Still haven't figured out my problem. I play at 1920x1080. Could windows 8.1 be hindering my performance?

In my case, in all tests I performed performance of my PC jumped to 120% (DX11 fps wise) when I switched from 8.1 to 10. My stup is 8350 and R9 290. What's more, after I moved to Win10, my R9 290 beated my brother's GTX970. So from my point of view, I can only recommend Win10, especially for AMD GPUs (the boost is huge, even on DX10/11). 

And I measured it in several games so I can assume, it can be the same with Squad. 

13 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

It has been reported that win 10 does yield a decent FPS increase over win 8.1 before so it really could be. I think someone stated about 20%, in your case this would be about right for sure.

I have no personal experience of anything other than win 10 in Squad myself.

So while Squad is running in a match, my cpu is at around 35% to 40% utilization. The game is also using only 4.3 gb of ram. Does this sound about right?

4 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

So while Squad is running in a match, my cpu is at around 35% to 40% utilization. The game is also using only 4.3 gb of ram. Does this sound about right?

sounds low to me mate, maybe it's the windows thing i.e go to 10 and more resources are used - but I am guessing.

15 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

sounds low to me mate, maybe it's the windows thing i.e go to 10 and more resources are used - but I am guessing.

So there is no simple fix to higher cpu utilization? Would I solve the RAM problem if i just allocate more to the game?

8 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

So there is no simple fix to higher cpu utilization? Would I solve the RAM problem if i just allocate more to the game?

Nope, just dev optimization.

9 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Your RAM speed can make a reasonable difference on min FPS in Squad, there was a decent thread on this before with some tests that demonstrated this, it was a good 10fps difference.

11 minutes ago, SHO-SHIN said:

Your RAM speed can make a reasonable difference on min FPS in Squad, there was a decent thread on this before with some tests that demonstrated this, it was a good 10fps difference.

So just allocating more RAM to about 8 GB for 1600 doesn't make up for lets say about 4 GB 3000 in squad?

48 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

So just allocating more RAM to about 8 GB for 1600 doesn't make up for lets say about 4 GB 3000 in squad?

No for better results 8GB+ but fast RAM (I think 2600+ in DDR4 showed a good improvement).

Just now, SHO-SHIN said:

No for better results 8GB+ but fast RAM (I think 2600+ in DDR4 showed a good improvement).

Ok thanks. Would you like to see my current rig and then a rig that I am looking to upgrade in the near future? Thinking about upgrading but I'm not sure if it will be fully worth it atm because squad is the only game that is struggling a bit and then again it is in alpha.

Sure happy to see what your looking to get etc.

Just note your wont see a massive improvement over the 4790K with say a 7700K either way, you will see a decent uplift if you overclock your current CPU (or indeed a newer i7 etc). And faster RAM would help the lows.

You already have a decent set up.

1 hour ago, SHO-SHIN said:

Sure happy to see what your looking to get etc.

Just note your wont see a massive improvement over the 4790K with say a 7700K either way, you will see a decent uplift if you overclock your current CPU (or indeed a newer i7 etc). And faster RAM would help the lows.

You already have a decent set up.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sman_109/saved/yNqK8d  This is everything in my  current setup.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sman_109/saved/D9GsYJ Here is what I am looking to upgrade to. Just assume that all the rest will be the same as the current setup if there is nothing there. So I am thinking about upgrading my PSU and fan and then venturing into some overclocking 

Edit* If i set my gpu to prefer maximum performance would I be getting too close to my PSU output?

Edited by Emperor Palpatine

You guys are pounding your heads against a wall for no reason. All of your PC's are more than adequate. Way more than adequate in fact and I can prove it right here with this video. You just need to understand Squad is in the Alpha stage of development and all the assets need to be optimized. Here is Yehorivka with absolutely no assets other than my little building, ammo crates, repair stations, vehicle spawns and player spawns. Until I turned on OBS to record the video I was getting a max of 146fps outside and 80-90 in the vehicle and my box is a hand me down from my teen with an i7-4770 32GB DDR3 & GTX970. Kinda hard to see in the video but with OBS on it was in the triple digits outside and in the 50-60 range inside the vehicle. I made a blank Sumari and I was getting an average 190fps as well so just give the devs time. 

Edited by Zylfrax791
speeling

22 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

You guys are pounding your heads against a wall for no reason. All of your PC's are more than adequate. Way more than adequate in fact and I can prove it right here with this video. You just need to understand Squad is in the Alpha stage of development and all the assets need to be optimized. Here is Yehorivka with absolutely no assets other than my little building, ammo crates, repair stations, vehicle spawns and player spawns. Until I turned on OBS to record the video I was getting a max of 146fps outside and 80-90 in the vehicle and my box is a hand me down from my teen with an i7-4770 32GB DDR3 & GTX970. Kinda hard to see in the video but with OBS on it was in the triple digits outside and in the 50-60 range inside the vehicle. I made a blank Sumari and I was getting an average 190fps as well so just give the devs time. 

100% I understand it is in alpha and is unoptimized,  but my specs are higher than yours and I get nowhere near your fps. Were you in a full server at the time too? I can get great FPS in firing range no matter what settings, I understand that, I just can't maintain it.

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

100% I understand it is in alpha and is unoptimized,  but my specs are higher than yours and I get nowhere near your fps. Were you in a full server at the time too? I can get great FPS in firing range no matter what settings, I understand that, I just can't maintain it.

I think you misunderstand. I'm a casual modder that is teaching myself several versions of the Unreal Editor including the Squad version so this is basically nothing more than a completely empty Yeho map running in stand alone mode (real Squad) on my computer. You could download the SDK yourself and test it as well and you'd probably get much higher frame rates than me. That said, I feel confident that it closely simulates the kind of frame rate you would get in a real world low ping server as the game itself is simply calling to files on your computer. Of course serving this empty map online with 80 players might effect the frame rate as well however I've got limited knowledge on how that works. All I'm saying is that this proves without a doubt to me that given time the devs and optimize the assets and improve the frame rates.

6 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sman_109/saved/yNqK8d  This is everything in my  current setup.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sman_109/saved/D9GsYJ Here is what I am looking to upgrade to. Just assume that all the rest will be the same as the current setup if there is nothing there. So I am thinking about upgrading my PSU and fan and then venturing into some overclocking 

Edit* If i set my gpu to prefer maximum performance would I be getting too close to my PSU output?

Personally, if I were you and you wanted around 10fps increase I would invest in a decent AIO and overclock your CPU, you could sell your ram and buy 2x8GB 2133 speed to help the lows as well.

Then let the development happen and wait for further optimisations.

8 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

That said, I feel confident that it closely simulates the kind of frame rate you would get in a real world low ping server as the game itself is simply calling to files on your computer. Of course serving this empty map online with 80 players might effect the frame rate as well however I've got limited knowledge on how that works.

It's actually the players (well, the calculations that occur related to each player in the server) that affect Squad's performance the most, creating that oh-so-despised game thread bottleneck. Apparently, a big part of it is the overly-cpu intensive animation system which will hopefully be fixed when the custom built system drops in a future alpha version. Aside from that, it is up to the devs to remove as much as they can from the tick event and create code that runs as efficiently as possible. There are many ways to attack a problem in programming, and oftentimes during iterative development (say... in an alpha :P) the solution that "works" takes precedence over the "best" solution. If you aren't familiar with programming, and have half an hour to spare, this video should give a great example of what I am talking about

2 hours ago, Psyrus said:

It's actually the players (well, the calculations that occur related to each player in the server) that affect Squad's performance the most, creating that oh-so-despised game thread bottleneck. Apparently, a big part of it is the overly-cpu intensive animation system which will hopefully be fixed when the custom built system drops in a future alpha version. Aside from that, it is up to the devs to remove as much as they can from the tick event and create code that runs as efficiently as possible. There are many ways to attack a problem in programming, and oftentimes during iterative development (say... in an alpha :P) the solution that "works" takes precedence over the "best" solution. If you aren't familiar with programming, and have half an hour to spare, this video should give a great example of what I am talking about

Yeah I mentioned the stuff you're talking about but certainly the sheer number of polygons in the map effects the frame rate as well is my point.

3 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Yeah I mentioned the stuff you're talking about but certainly the sheer number of polygons in the map effects the frame rate as well is my point.

Oh no doubt, that's correct, but as long as the system is still being held back by the game thread, the frame rate won't drop (significantly) despite adding more polygons as there is GPU processing power to spare while waiting for the next instructions from the CPU. If you push it up high enough (8k, super high density city with unlimited distance) then the GPU will most likely become the bottleneck and frames will degrade roughly linearly as much details are added. 

On 30.7.2017 at 6:52 PM, Emperor Palpatine said:

All together the gains from this upgrade would be way to small to justify the price:

That 4790K is mabee a bit to much for this Intel cooler an therefor it start to thermal throotle causing this bad performance.

Did you check you themperatures of the 4790 K while gaming ?

Upgrading to Faster ram would `require a new Mainboard cause only Z chipset are unlocked for ram clocks out of spec , same goes for the choosen h110 board , additionaly you have a big chance of no post with kabylake chips and 100 series chipsets when the bios isnt updated  .

10 hours ago, moppel said:

All together the gains from this upgrade would be way to small to justify the price:

That 4790K is mabee a bit to much for this Intel cooler an therefor it start to thermal throotle causing this bad performance.

Did you check you themperatures of the 4790 K while gaming ?

Upgrading to Faster ram would `require a new Mainboard cause only Z chipset are unlocked for ram clocks out of spec , same goes for the choosen h110 board , additionaly you have a big chance of no post with kabylake chips and 100 series chipsets when the bios isnt updated  .

Haven't checked the CPU temps just because I thought there wasn't a need to but I guess I'll just download MSI Afterburner now. Thinking about getting a new PSU and CPU cooler and try to do some overclocking.