Emperor Palpatine

High End PC: Low Performance

I recently have been playing Squad alot and I usually get around 50 fps on low in fire fights. I hear that setting Squad to "high priority" in the task manager boosts fps and setting your gpu to "prefer maximum performance" instead of "optimal power" helps aswell. My main question is that if using these settings are safe for your computor. I don't want to harm my computor in any way by using these settings but I want to get a higher fps. I have never had FPS problems with this pc besides this game. I know that the game is in alpha and is unoptimized, but i still feel that i should be getting better performance with my rig. After each update I clear my cache too. For a while now I've been thinking that something is wrong because I never have difficulty running a game with my setup.

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gb of vram

Intel i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz

16 gb of ram

windows 8

You will not damage your computer, however putting things on 'max performance', or changing your power plan to 'high performance' will draw more power through the system. I'm not familiar with NVIDIA GPUs, but I don't see any reason why that'd be unsafe. Even overclocking is pretty safe if you have a half an idea of what you're doing.

20 minutes ago, Nikko B said:

You will not damage your computer, however putting things on 'max performance', or changing your power plan to 'high performance' will draw more power through the system. I'm not familiar with NVIDIA GPUs, but I don't see any reason why that'd be unsafe. Even overclocking is pretty safe if you have a half an idea of what you're doing.

Ok thanks for the reply I might need to look into upgrading my psu then if it draws more power I'm not too sure about the oneIi have now.

1 hour ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Ok thanks for the reply I might need to look into upgrading my psu then if it draws more power I'm not too sure about the oneIi have now.

No, don't even worry about it if you've got anything 400watt or above. Unless you have a really off-brand, then there's no need to upgrade. No-name PSU's are known to cause system failures and such, but if you have a good brand you're good to go. The power saving options really don't add extra stress.

Edited by Nikko B

11 minutes ago, Nikko B said:

No, don't even worry about it if you've got anything 400watt or above. Unless you have a really off-brand, then there's no need to upgrade. No-name PSU's are known to cause system failures and such, but if you have a good brand you're good to go. The power saving options really don't add extra stress.

TBH idk what brand my psu is because I got my pc from cyber power a couple of years back on a black friday sale and have upgraded the gpu thats it. Would like to get a nice corsair PSU and then upgrade from there.

5 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

...  I hear that setting Squad to "high priority" in the task manager boosts fps ...

Iv'e tried this for Lightwave3D in the past to force rendering to go faster - didn't make any real difference and time waiting for the Esc. or Mouseclick call to the system to halt or break the render, or to task switch, took ages (well 10's of seconds at least).

I tried "realtime" once  ... only once tho ;)

Would this actually work for the (any) game? and, would there be system call delays that would make it a pointless thing to persue?

6 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

I usually get around 50 fps on low in fire fights

For that rig thats pretty accurate re where we are at in Squad development in my experience (I had that CPU for over a year), on certain map's.

You should be seeing 60plus out of firefights etc?

13 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

For that rig thats pretty accurate re where we are at in Squad development in my experience (I had that CPU for over a year), on certain map's.

You should be seeing 60plus out of firefights etc?

I barely scrape 60 fps in most situations with heavy drops in fire fights. I wouldn't see why my cpu would be struggling with this game even in the state its in now. Never had an issue with this cpu so far. I just feel that something is wrong.

Dropping to around 50's in certain firefights is about right, but out of firefights on most maps you should be well above 60, that's true.

What resolution are you playing in?

9 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

I barely scrape 60 fps in most situations with heavy drops in fire fights. I wouldn't see why my cpu would be struggling with this game even in the state its in now. Never had an issue with this cpu so far. I just feel that something is wrong.

Because it's something wrong - game runs on just 1 core so I feel the same as you. I've got decent FPS in all other games because my CPU is nicely distributing workload/teamspeak, but in Squad I'm playing slide show. 

Try to disable Hyper Threading in your i7 and OC it to as high value as you can. I'm playing on AMD CPU, and I've got best results with disabling 2 cores per module and just bumping up CPU frequency. My fps results are related just to CPU requency, nothing more:

4C/8T @ 4.4 Ghz < 3C/6T @ 4.6 Ghz < 4C/4T @ 4.8 Ghz

If you can cut off any of your i7 Core, do it to get better OC headroom, and push frequency higher. 

Upgrade to Win10 will also give you a boost, in my PC, moving from 8.1 to 10 gave me 20% boost in performance... #insane!

Interesting re the win 10 vs win 8.1 fps boost - I had no idea this was a thing. I've alway's played Squad on win 10.

Its not that wise to disable cores or HT and start OC ing if the reason for the bad performance is not known .

Firstly observe the Problem and locate it:

Is this poor performance strictly Squad related ?

What are your ingame settings ?

How are GPU + CPU Clocks,Utilization,Temperature  during squad gameplay ? --> i suggest a combination of Afterburner and Statunit here.

This should give you an idea if everything is running in its specs or behaves abnormal.

After that you can move towards software stuff like drivers , background programms e.g.

And do remember gentlemen, that in this version of  UE that Squad is using there is a performance issues so hopefully UE4.16 that the boy's are working on (if I'm correct) has the "Fix" how much more, we will see. (Fingers crossed).

26 minutes ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

And do remember gentlemen, that in this version of  UE that Squad is using there is a performance issues so hopefully UE4.16 that the boy's are working on (if I'm correct) has the "Fix" how much more, we will see. (Fingers crossed).

That's not very true. It's mostly up to the developers. IronTaxi-"impossible to know but its less the version change that will increase performance than our effort to stabilize it and work through some CPU bottlenecks."

1 hour ago, -MG said:

UE engine bud' what did you expect ?. 100 fps ? lel

Name an engine better than UE4. Please.

3 hours ago, godamntwitch said:

That's not very true. It's mostly up to the developers. IronTaxi-"impossible to know but its less the version change that will increase performance than our effort to stabilize it and work through some CPU bottlenecks."

Name an engine better than UE4. Please.

Anyone that's advanced beyond using 2 cores :'D. My bad, EU4 isn't that bad...Arma's engine is worse x'D

On 25/07/2017 at 2:05 AM, Emperor Palpatine said:

I recently have been playing Squad alot and I usually get around 50 fps on low in fire fights. I hear that setting Squad to "high priority" in the task manager boosts fps and setting your gpu to "prefer maximum performance" instead of "optimal power" helps aswell. My main question is that if using these settings are safe for your computor. I don't want to harm my computor in any way by using these settings but I want to get a higher fps. I have never had FPS problems with this pc besides this game. I know that the game is in alpha and is unoptimized, but i still feel that i should be getting better performance with my rig. After each update I clear my cache too. For a while now I've been thinking that something is wrong because I never have difficulty running a game with my setup.

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gb of vram

Intel i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz

16 gb of ram

windows 8

What laptop is this

14 hours ago, moppel said:

Its not that wise to disable cores or HT and start OC ing if the reason for the bad performance is not known .

Firstly observe the Problem and locate it:

Is this poor performance strictly Squad related ?

What are your ingame settings ?

How are GPU + CPU Clocks,Utilization,Temperature  during squad gameplay ? --> i suggest a combination of Afterburner and Statunit here.

This should give you an idea if everything is running in its specs or behaves abnormal.

After that you can move towards software stuff like drivers , background programms e.g.

Well, the reason of bad performance is well known. Squad uses only 1 core and doesn't really care how good your CPU is, how modern, and how nice it uses multicore performance - Ghz and single core - are the only things that matters in Squad. You will get best results just by making sure this one core will go as high as he can, also disabling HT / 2CPM / SMT is giving FPS boost in Squad.

I've tried everything, things I mentioned worked best.

They are safe and easy to do steps.

8 hours ago, -MG said:

Anyone that's advanced beyond using 2 cores :'D. My bad, EU4 isn't that bad...Arma's engine is worse x'D

Arma games runs smoother on my PC than Squad B| Current squad engine is the worse optimised thing I've ever seen.

52 minutes ago, PadrePadre said:

Well, the reason of bad performance is well known. Squad uses only 1 core and doesn't really care how good your CPU is, how modern, and how nice it uses multicore performance

That is incorrect, squad uses multiple threads just fine. It's just that the main workhorse thread (game thread) is intrinsically bound by many tasks that are either very hard or impossible to parallelize. The dev team is continuing to optimize the things loaded on the game thread, and offload possible work to other threads as time goes on (I'm sure), but as the fundamental feature programming for the game is not yet complete, it is natural that optimization takes a back seat. 

It would be great if you could not spread disinformation. 

1 minute ago, Psyrus said:

That is incorrect, squad uses multiple threads just fine. It's just that the main workhorse thread (game thread) is intrinsically bound by many tasks that are either very hard or impossible to parallelize. The dev team is continuing to optimize the things loaded on the game thread, and offload possible work to other threads as time goes on (I'm sure), but as the fundamental feature programming for the game is not yet complete, it is natural that optimization takes a back seat. 

It would be great if you could not spread disinformation. 

If 90% of CPU calculations are made on 1 core, I think we can say that best performance boost in Squad can be achieved from ... strong single core? I'm aware devs will fix this (I hope so) but for now, for today - the more you can squeeze from single core - the better FPS you will get. 

I can play 40fps + on my 8350, but it requires as high clock as I can set (and 4.7Ghz can be achieved on my cheap cooler only by disabling 2 cores per module), other options are near to irrelevant.

I'm a total newbie if it comes to hardware etc., but why doesn't Squad use all cores? Is it because of the Unreal Engine? I somehow can't believe the UE4 devs didn't work on a multicore solution. :o 

2 hours ago, kaykay said:

I'm a total newbie if it comes to hardware etc., but why doesn't Squad use all cores? Is it because of the Unreal Engine? I somehow can't believe the UE4 devs didn't work on a multicore solution. :o 

It's very hard to implement and squad devs anouced than performance is far, far away in improvements priority ladder. Stabilisation, features and gameplay comes first. The good thing is - they are trying from time to time give us updates for performance also. 

UE4 can use all cores, but it's implementation in Squad is not yet done and most calculations runs on just one core. That's why, for me personally - maxing out Ghz frequencies on CPU bringed best results in terms of game performance. From what I mesured:

8350 @ 4.4 4C/8T = 25 fps min

8350 @ 4.6 3C/6T = 30 fps min

8350 @ 4.7 4C/4T = 38 fps min

3 hours ago, PadrePadre said:

If 90% of CPU calculations are made on 1 core, I think we can say that best performance boost in Squad can be achieved from ... strong single core? I'm aware devs will fix this (I hope so) but for now, for today - the more you can squeeze from single core - the better FPS you will get. 

You are right that the game thread is the biggest bottleneck and that strong single-core performance is the easiest way to brute-force past the issue right now, but I was trying to make sure that people don't get the idea that the whole squad game is single threaded. It's not. Your direct words were [Squad uses only 1 core and doesn't really care how good your CPU is], which is incorrect both technically and in a general sense as well. It relies heavily on single core performance is a much more accurate statement. 

On 7/25/2017 at 8:28 PM, SHO-SHIN said:

Dropping to around 50's in certain firefights is about right, but out of firefights on most maps you should be well above 60, that's true.

What resolution are you playing in?

Sorry for late response, been busy the past couple of days. Still haven't figured out my problem. I play at 1920x1080. Could windows 8.1 be hindering my performance?

Edited by Emperor Palpatine

5 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Sorry for late response, been busy the past couple of days. Still haven't figured out my problem. I play at 1920x1080. Could windows 8.1 be hindering my performance?

It has been reported that win 10 does yield a decent FPS increase over win 8.1 before so it really could be. I think someone stated about 20%, in your case this would be about right for sure.

I have no personal experience of anything other than win 10 in Squad myself.