cfg

"Rank" For Squad Lead

cfg   

Please implement some system based on merit (note: nothing to do with kills - cap points, revives, heals, etc) that allows a player to become a squad leader after putting in time with support roles. Quite often there are squads with a leader who created it simply because after 20 seconds in the lobby there were no others. This issue has been compounded with locked squads.  Some ranking system that emphasizes medics would be best in my opinion. If this system could also be tiered so that highly desirable roles such as LAT, HAT, or Scout - or the least desired by a squad such as marksman - could be locked to new players it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to extend this to vehicles so that a Stryker/BTR/NTLB could only be driven by someone experienced with a logi, transport, or Humvee, but I know this would be more complicated.

I essentially want this to be kit bound - I understand in some cases there may be 4-8 new players and they need a squad lead. They would be able to create a squad, but not select the kit, encouraging them to wait or hand off to a more experienced player as soon as possible. 

Basically - the first 5 games you are locked to medic or rifleman, as if it were a small squad even though it isn't. You might need a certain number of cap points/revives/full games to progress to the next tier which is fire support. I'd like marksman to be after the first 10 games, but the final tier would be squad lead. 

I know there are a lot of conflicting opinions on a ranking system but some way of measuring games could bring better gameplay. No more asking for medics, no more "we don't need a marksman." An additional system that signifies an experienced squad lead/member I believe would also retain the veteran players. I know people who have played for well over 1000 hours and yet still need to argue the general direction of the team (IE which flag to be at and where to place FOBs) to rookie squad leads and members.  Some way of indicating "hey I know what the f*$& I'm doing" would alleviate this. Yes time doesn't always indicate skill, but it's a step in the right direction.

If nothing else, make the marksman kit "on SL approval" or improve the accuracy/optics, give them 1 claymore/trip mine, and limit them to 1 per team like the HAT. I like the idea of marksmen but currently they are ineffective and used almost exclusively by new players who just want to lone wolf. Thanks and keep up the great work!

Assifuah   

So what happens on a server where there isn't any significantly experienced players online? You expect everyone to play an AAS layer without heavy assets because people haven't played X amount in transport/logistics vehicles? You expect people to run around like headless chickens without an SL kit because they didn't play X amount of hours in a support role?

You're presenting a real life catch 22 there. You need experience/time spent in a certain role, yet you can't get it because it's locked away and already filled with people who have it.

The whole point is that everyone can do everything. The only difference is, you need experience to get good at it.. so locking people away and forcing them to do something else first just makes that process even longer.

I'm not going to bend the knee to someone who has 1000 hours more than me in the game if I have the knowledge and understanding of the situation at hand. That's ridiculous and would only end up in elitism, people fighting and getting kicked or banned from servers. Hell, there ARE people out there with 1000 hours more than me and I make better calls and perform better out on the field.

A system to distinguish "veteran" players through hours played would just increase chances of noobs being locked away, again. Elitism. "Shoo, you can't be in this squad because we only want rank X/hours X players in this squad".

Another question is, tracking hours. I can jump on an empty "official" server and rack up hours without playing the game. How would you propose this is handled? Systems like that only really work in games with proper matchmaking.

If you're an SL and you don't want a Marksman in your squad, you say it. If someone ignores you, you kick them. You're going to do the same for everything, if they're being plain ignorant you're going to kick them, there's no of avoiding squad management in the game. Marksman will be getting higher powered optics when optics are worked out. The current ACOG is a placeholder because.. well, Alpha.

Frinz   
18 minutes ago, Assifuah said:

So what happens on a server where there isn't any significantly experienced players online? You expect everyone to play an AAS layer without heavy assets because people haven't played X amount in transport/logistics vehicles? You expect people to run around like headless chickens without an SL kit because they didn't play X amount of hours in a support role?

You're presenting a real life catch 22 there. You need experience/time spent in a certain role, yet you can't get it because it's locked away and already filled with people who have it.

The whole point is that everyone can do everything. The only difference is, you need experience to get good at it.. so locking people away and forcing them to do something else first just makes that process even longer.

I'm not going to bend the knee to someone who has 1000 hours more than me in the game if I have the knowledge and understanding of the situation at hand. That's ridiculous and would only end up in elitism, people fighting and getting kicked or banned from servers. Hell, there ARE people out there with 1000 hours more than me and I make better calls and perform better out on the field.

A system to distinguish "veteran" players through hours played would just increase chances of noobs being locked away, again. Elitism. "Shoo, you can't be in this squad because we only want rank X/hours X players in this squad".

Another question is, tracking hours. I can jump on an empty "official" server and rack up hours without playing the game. How would you propose this is handled? Systems like that only really work in games with proper matchmaking.

If you're an SL and you don't want a Marksman in your squad, you say it. If someone ignores you, you kick them. You're going to do the same for everything, if they're being plain ignorant you're going to kick them, there's no of avoiding squad management in the game. Marksman will be getting higher powered optics when optics are worked out. The current ACOG is a placeholder because.. well, Alpha.

That

suds   

need less d!ckheads demanding things and more helpful suggestions to encourage squad leaders and varied gameplay. Watching the excessively long "ready up timer" count down for 3 mins and noone wanting to be SL is pretty much doom for the game.

There is nothing worse than creating a fob under pressure having discussed it with the other squad leaders only to have people spawning and saying "why the *^&k did you make a fob here?"

Or people rushing off to do some uber flank then complaining when a defence flag falls despite the information that it was inevitable.

Listening should be the number 1 requirement. It seems this is lacking in 3/5 squad leaders and 1/5 players.

11 hours ago, cfg said:

LAT, HAT, or Scout - or the least desired by a squad such as marksman - could be locked to new players it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to extend this to vehicles so that a Stryker/BTR/NTLB could only be driven by someone experienced with a logi, transport, or Humvee, but I know this would be more complicated.

PROBLEM: NO way. This has been brought up before. Free weekend happens or on the off chance that there is in fact a game with mostly new players, no one will be able to do anything. This is not a viable option.

SOLUTION: The SL is able to lock and unlock any and all kits inside of the squad, people ask him at the match start for certain kit and he says ok in some way or drags them over on it. Same thing with approving a stryker. YOU ASK FIRST ITS THAT SIMPLE. "are u good at driving a stryker." Done. Having a record for game time spent as a certain kit would help too though.

11 hours ago, cfg said:

make the marksman kit "on SL approval" or improve the accuracy/optics, give them 1 claymore/trip mine, and limit them to 1 per team like the HAT. I like the idea of marksmen but currently they are ineffective and used almost exclusively by new players who just want to lone wolf.

Nerf rallies, they are the problem. You do that and the game will be much better and longer ranged engagements will be an option. I have been saying it alot. Player death having consequence adds more worth to everything in the game. A game which player action effects the game world more is a game world more worthwhile playing inside of. Risk vs reward. Instead a marksman shoots a whole squad in a building off in a field and that squad spawns right in the house again, and again, and again because rallies never let up. No risk for the team in the house and no reward for the marksman killing them. Might as well stop shooting. Strategy has a large grey area where in real life it is black and white. The only grey area is when not everyone lives. Strategy should either work or not work instead we just throw bodies at an objective all game until we are sick of it ourselves. Bring the rallies back to what they were in PR. It will increase the need for team work and coordination.

TO ADD: TIME PLAYED AS SL (might)= GOOD SL. i dont think it should be attributed a tonnnnn of worth though

Edited by madcat768

what about letting the players rank their SL's? Have it where players inside the squad can click on their SL's name and give them a like or dislike then based on your votes you get a 1 to 5 star rating that will appear in the squad name banner. 

side note: I think the problem with the lack of Leaders during free weekend is partly because it is exhausting. Having to baby sit every new player while wrangling the more experience players that get frustrated and grab a marksman kit while running off screaming LEEEROY JENKINS! it gets pretty tiring 

13 hours ago, SonofMarsV said:

what about letting the players rank their SL's? Have it where players inside the squad can click on their SL's name and give them a like or dislike then based on your votes you get a 1 to 5 star rating that will appear in the squad name banner. 

So easily gamed and abused. Clans and groups could 5-star each other, and target individual players to 1-star them. Instead, you need a localized and decentralized ranking system. Read the second part of this thread:

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/4388-a-new-form-of-community-building/

Edited by Tartantyco

CptDirty   

I think no ranks whatsoever is ultimately the better choice. A new player with under 50 hours may learn quickly how to lead and be very good at it. Also, it's less intimidating for players to want to SL. It's almost as if each round is a new start.

LugNut   

I'd favor quick and easy tutorials on Jensens so you can learn the basics, how to drop a rally, mark the map, claim a vehicle, etc. That would take only 5-10 minutes. I've seen numerous new guys who end up as SL, who while needing to be talked through the functions, which ends up frustrating many in the squad since it's so slow, were fairly capable in their leadership. 

Also, and I have no idea if this is achievable, but a server side setting that can be configured to prove you have a mic. You join a server that requires mics, there's a button you click on the splash screen, you key your mic and make a sound and you're in. No mic and you're kicked back out to the lobby. 

tatzhit   
On 7/24/2017 at 1:44 PM, madcat768 said:

Nerf rallies, they are the problem. You do that and the game will be much better and longer ranged engagements will be an option. I have been saying it alot. Player death having consequence adds more worth to everything in the game. A game which player action effects the game world more is a game world more worthwhile playing inside of. Risk vs reward. Instead a marksman shoots a whole squad in a building off in a field and that squad spawns right in the house again, and again, and again because rallies never let up. No risk for the team in the house and no reward for the marksman killing them. Might as well stop shooting. Strategy has a large grey area where in real life it is black and white. The only grey area is when not everyone lives. Strategy should either work or not work instead we just throw bodies at an objective all game until we are sick of it ourselves. Bring the rallies back to what they were in PR. It will increase the need for team work and coordination.

TO ADD: TIME PLAYED AS SL (might)= GOOD SL. i dont think it should be attributed a tonnnnn of worth though

Nerfing rallies will make a game more realistic. AKA a boring walking simulator. That is the reason ARMA failed.

This is the same guy that is arguing about putting pikachu toys on the end of his guns for customization. You would rather see some BS than real benefits to the game. Helos, new animations and such. Want ranking systems, play a game that has it.

2 hours ago, tatzhit said:

Nerfing rallies will make a game more realistic. AKA a boring walking simulator. That is the reason ARMA failed.

ARMA did not fail. It is what it is. Squad is something else.

Regardless, nerfing RPs would not make the game more realistic, nor would it make it into a walking simulator. What it would do is force squads and teams to set up better logistical networks and rely more on vehicle transport. It would mean that they didn't have to worry about endless hordes spawning behind their lines because two guys made it past them a couple of minutes ago.