Sign in to follow this  
Smee

Air Drop (suggestion) Ammunition

Smee   

How about air drops for SLs to provide  ammunition for the troops. Say have 1 signal flare for regular forces.  And say a phone for non regular to to locate local ammo store, for resupply.  This wouldn't have any construction points but might curtail some of the fob abuses. Plus make them usable by any to spice things up a bit. (still find it hard to believe you  can get ammo from enemy.

https://embed.theguardian.com/embed/video/world/video/2014/oct/22/pentagon-video-isis-us-weapons

I think this should be a thing for players to do, supplies dropped by a transport chopper like in PR. I myself would really dislike an automatic supply drop system you would just call. That would be against the whole supply chain logic of the game.

Ill leave you with this:

Smee   

Would love transport drops, but thats a big drop. I;m after supplying a surviving squad getting ammo.  So till we get choppers can we go with something simple. Ammo box drop. 

7 minutes ago, Smee said:

Would love transport drops, but thats a big drop. I;m after supplying a surviving squad getting ammo.  So till we get choppers can we go with something simple. Ammo box drop. 

Yes, I am hoping for such small drops as well.

I also hope normal vehicles like technicals/HMMWVS... can carry some ammo crates(with just ammo, no building points) in the future.

EDT: If you did not play PR, those crates you see in the video are for building fobs in PR. There are also smaller ammo crates in transport vehicles.

Smee   

Yeah all vehicles had ammo box drops , humvees had 2 boes if I remember right.

Smee   

Yeah played too much of it. too. Sgt Ross as said in other posts HMMWvs will have ammo. 

suds   

I can see some nice tactics coming from this.

EG

1. SL requests the drop using the spawn map, range from SL location is limited to prevent advance drops, ~15-25 min cooldown.
  2. 3-5 min wait from time of request! (This makes it less exploitable and assumes there is a bigger picture.)
  3. Parachute appears in the sky using magic. (till we get some aircraft at least)
  4. Ammo falls in approximate location it was called for. 
  5. Ammo has a ticket cost based on what is left. So if the enemy find it first and destroy it they benefit. If some is used up it costs less, if friendlies "dig it up" it just disappears.
  6. No kit changes are available, only reloads compatible with current squad loadout. Except SL kit but this would be required to call the drop so another SL would have to provide the drop.

A tactical play would be: 

1. Position the drop so it draws enemy out of a flag or stonghold.
  2. Ambush as they approach.

I feel that in absence of helicopters, this is an interesting suggestion, however, once helicopters do arrive(whenever that is) they should probably be removed.

I do feel that the supply flares should be a resource based per team rather than per squad. The team has say, one supply drop every 10(?) minutes with it taking about 1 minute to arrive. After being used by one squad, the supply drop would enter cool down simulating the helicopter or plane or whatever returning to base. However, I do think that the supply should have construction points enough to build a basic, spaw-able fob. The fact that you only get one of these every 10 minutes balances this out I feel, and better emulates modern warfare where supplies don't have to always carried by land. As for insurgency forces, finding a local ammo cache/ picking up junk off the street to build things with, sounds fine, and should probably be less cooldown for insurgent forces 5(?) minutes perhaps. This would emulate how insurgent forces don't rely on supply lines much.

That said, if it takes too much work for the devs to implement this, they probably shouldn't even bother, and should focus that time on other more important things, helicopters that drop supplies being just one of those things. This system, in my eyes, is a placeholder for until helicopters come anyways.