Swsfoe

Teams within a Squad question.

Swsfoe   

Good afternoon, 

I am sure that this has been brought up before, however, after briefly looking through the forums, my question/suggestion is for teams within an existing squad be brought into the structure, or at least the option for teams to be turned on by the squad leader.

After being a team leader myself, it is crucial for a squad and squad leader to have the maneuverability within it's own squad to operate effectively, or in this case, more effectively than already established. The mechanics of the game would then need to shift ever so slightly from 9/9 on a squad to 10/10, 1 being the squad leader and the others being three effective teams, alpha, bravo and Charlie, with the SL falling in to where ever needed without leaving any team without effective firepower.

This may have been discussed at the beginning/creation of the game, but I am curious if it has, and if so why it was not implemented and if not is it a consideration?

Thanks!

Edited by Swsfoe

Fire-teams are already planned and should be implemented before release (i am pretty sure before release?) as well as fire-team leaders. The final max number in a squad when the game is done is 13 people to a squad. 100 players per match. Welcome to the forums! 

Edited by madcat768

CptDirty   
4 hours ago, madcat768 said:

Fire-teams are already planned and should be implemented before release (i am pretty sure before release?) as well as fire-team leaders. The final max number in a squad when the game is done is 13 people to a squad. 100 players per match. Welcome to the forums! 

:o

10 hours ago, madcat768 said:

...The final max number in a squad when the game is done is 13 people to a squad...

This is the first time I am hearing this, where did you get this information if I may ask?

Flat896   
13 hours ago, madcat768 said:

Source on the 13 players thing? I've been lurking every Squad forum on the daily since it was announced, and I have never seen anything that suggests squad sizes will be increased. 

Edited by Flat896

@Flat896 My clan leader said he was certain that they were going to change max to 13 once the game could handle more players per match, or when more different kits are added. He said that he heard it somewhere, dont remember where. Apparently in the US army a squad is 13 people irl anyways so it makes sense? I also may have seen it somewhere too, i tried looking around but yeah like you said, i don't see anything on the forums either. 

Flat896   
3 hours ago, madcat768 said:

@Flat896 My clan leader said he was certain that they were going to change max to 13 once the game could handle more players per match, or when more different kits are added. He said that he heard it somewhere, dont remember where. Apparently in the US army a squad is 13 people irl anyways so it makes sense? I also may have seen it somewhere too, i tried looking around but yeah like you said, i don't see anything on the forums either. 

Well wherever he heard it, it was not an official source and should be disregarded. I highly doubt that the squad member count will increase to 13, since people already consider 9 to be overwhelming at times. Would you or he be comfortable managing 12 other people, trying to keep them all from running off?

US Army squads are typically 9, US Marines are 13, according to Wikipedia. 

If we increased to 13, that would mean there can only ever be 3 full squads per team, and then a squad of 11. In a game like this, more smaller squads are preferable to fewer larger squads since it allows for more flexibility, more tasks to be carried out at the same time, and more complex strategies. 

Swsfoe   

I appreciate the reply. 

I hope that this will be implemented. Any source directing to confirmation would be great.

As far as Squads IRL it varies. I was in for Army 8 years, with 1 deployment and we shifted (depending on strength of company) from 3-4 teams + a SL. So, its more 10 or  13.

Edited by Swsfoe

Qaiex   

Whenever I SL I always designate the fireteams at the start of the match, and then I expect everyone to remember which fireteam they belong to. I don't think that's asking too much. I think fireteams of 3 soldiers each are adequate, with SL being part of one fireteam, usually the one with the SAW because the SL fireteam is better used for suppressing rather than maneuvering, so there's no loss in situational awareness.