In my opinion the ability to set a speed limit would help to work better as infantry with vehicles. Working as a Mechanized Infantry would be much easier because the vehicle could keep its speed and stay with the infantry.

Am I right with that or is that in your opinion not necessary? 

I think so.

41 minutes ago, GCooler said:

In my opinion the ability to set a speed limit would help to work better as infantry with vehicles. Working as a Mechanized Infantry would be much easier because the vehicle could keep its speed and stay with the infantry.

I think so.

I've always thought that could be nice ever since I played PR. It helps when you have convoys so that faster vehicles don't get too far ahead, etc.

I mean that can be controlled now just by tapping W and such but would be a sweet end-of-development feature for those who like to convoy it up or work close with infantry!

@GCooler +1 good idea but i think it could be done by double pressing double "W" like ratface said doesnt require a whole other key.

Edited by madcat768

1 minute ago, Smee said:

Have Q  &  R as up and down gears :)

I was thinking about the ability to start the engine as normal so you can drive the vehicle also at top speed immediately and then when you reached lets say for an example 20 km/h you press a key and the speed does not increase anymore then. Also if you lower the speed the speed lock will be there still but if you exit the vehicle and enter it again there will be no speed lock anymore.

maybe e starting the engine makes a walk rate and you have to use the brake to stop yourself moving

7 hours ago, GCooler said:

I think so.

As far as I can tell Squad strives on every level towards realism. Ask yourself if this is real? You want overwatch from some armor then talk to them over voice chat.

I really like the idea. 

I've played some other game, and I really like how it's implemented there. With E you are getting one gear up with auto throttle keeping vehicle at max speed (for selected gear) and with Q you are enabling reverse / lower gear. Pressing S is making vehicle stop, than it starts to go backward, and W is of course used for acceleration and A & D for turning. 

Works really nice and it would be great to see similar mechanics in Squad.

7 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

So all the vehicles capped at 5mph is ok with you?

I think you might have misunderstood the OP. He's talking about the ability to better control your own speed on the fly, by capping it at a maximum - not capping the speed of every vehicle in the game permanently at walking pace.

At the moment, using a keyboard key to accelerate, you are either accelerating at full throttle or not at all. If you want to drive at less than maximum speed, you have to keep "pulsing" the accelerate key, but that's hardly realistic and rather irritating. The OP is suggesting that it would be handy to have a way to cap your speed at a given maximum, so you can roll forward at walking pace even when holding the accelerate key (W), making it easier to provide rolling cover for infantry, for example.

Red Orchestra got around this by allowing you to have an incremental throttle in the vehicles. Hold the key down and the vehicle starts to accelerate, but take your finger off the key and you stop accelerating but keep moving. If you want to decelerate, you hold the brake until the speed drops to the desired level. It meant you could better control your vehicle speed, rather than having only a digital on/off control for what should be an analogue, gradual input. 

8 hours ago, DaiaBu said:

I think you might have misunderstood the OP. He's talking about the ability to better control your own speed on the fly, by capping it at a maximum - not capping the speed of every vehicle in the game permanently at walking pace.

At the moment, using a keyboard key to accelerate, you are either accelerating at full throttle or not at all. If you want to drive at less than maximum speed, you have to keep "pulsing" the accelerate key, but that's hardly realistic and rather irritating. The OP is suggesting that it would be handy to have a way to cap your speed at a given maximum, so you can roll forward at walking pace even when holding the accelerate key (W), making it easier to provide rolling cover for infantry, for example.

Red Orchestra got around this by allowing you to have an incremental throttle in the vehicles. Hold the key down and the vehicle starts to accelerate, but take your finger off the key and you stop accelerating but keep moving. If you want to decelerate, you hold the brake until the speed drops to the desired level. It meant you could better control your vehicle speed, rather than having only a digital on/off control for what should be an analogue, gradual input. 

This is exactly what I meant.

22 hours ago, Smee said:

maybe e starting the engine makes a walk rate and you have to use the brake to stop yourself moving

I see everybody has their own idea of how it should work that's ok. And i think every solution can be a great solution if it is working the way it should work.