jongaudas

Low fps on any graphics setting with AMD processor

I bought Squad a week ago and can't really enjoy it as I get 20 FPS on full servers. I have read all the forum post on performance issues and everything leads to a conclusion that it is my processor's fault as it is badly running together with the U4 engine.

Here are my PC specs:

AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz (4.0Ghz at the moment)

8Gb DDR3 RAM

Nvidia GTX 660 TI 2GB

Asus 990FXA - UD3

I have tried the following:

Changing graphics settings to the lowest

Lowering audio quality and disabling radio filtering

Overclocking CPU to 4.0 Ghz

Overclocking RAM to 1600Mhz

Changing settings in Nvidia Control panel for the performance boost

Updating my graphic drivers

Lowering resolution and playing in windowed/borderless

Nothing seems to work. I have also noticed that when I play in a half empty server the FPS is up to 50-60 sometimes but when it gets filled with over 40 players, the fps drops to 20-25 at best.

I understand that the game is in development and that optimization is not a priority right now but for me the game is unplayable. I asked steam for a refund but as I was trying all those things I've spent more than 2 hours ingame therefore, I won't be compensated. So I have a game that I cannot play that I paid 18 EUR for and there is no solution to this day to fix it just hope the devs will bother to fix optimization issues in what? Like 3 months or so from now with the next patch release? I only started playing squad recently after 10 years of BF2PR so I had high hopes for this game but as I see now that the AMD owners are being screwed over big time. Any suggestion besides getting a new rig as it is not an option at the moment? What can I do? Maybe there is something else I haven't tried that helped you guys with similar issues?

Edited by jongaudas

20 hours ago, jongaudas said:

I bought Squad a week ago and can't really enjoy it as I get 20 FPS on full servers. I have read all the forum post on performance issues and everything leads to a conclusion that it is my processor's fault as it is badly running together with the U4 engine.

Here are my PC specs:

AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz (4.0Ghz at the moment)

8Gb DDR3 RAM

Nvidia GTX 660 TI 2GB

Asus 990FXA - UD3

I have tried the following:

Changing graphics settings to the lowest

Lowering audio quality and disabling radio filtering

Overclocking CPU to 4.0 Ghz

Overclocking RAM to 1600Mhz

Changing settings in Nvidia Control panel for the performance boost

Updating my graphic drivers

Lowering resolution and playing in windowed/borderless

Nothing seems to work. I have also noticed that when I play in a half empty server the FPS is up to 50-60 sometimes but when it gets filled with over 40 players, the fps drops to 20-25 at best.

I understand that the game is in development and that optimization is not a priority right now but for me the game is unplayable. I asked steam for a refund but as I was trying all those things I've spent more than 2 hours ingame therefore, I won't be compensated. So I have a game that I cannot play that I paid 18 EUR for and there is no solution to this day to fix it just hope the devs will bother to fix optimization issues in what? Like 3 months or so from now with the next patch release? I only started playing squad recently after 10 years of BF2PR so I had high hopes for this game but as I see now that the AMD owners are being screwed over big time. Any suggestion besides getting a new rig as it is not an option at the moment? What can I do? Maybe there is something else I haven't tried that helped you guys with similar issues?

Hi,

You are still lucky as you've spent 18 EUR for the game, I've spent 37 EUR and after 10 hours of gameplay I couldn't refund it so ... I think you are in better position ;) Although I've tried to make it run smooth and I was capable to do it. I think the big bottleneck here for now it's the GPU as it have only 2 GB of VRAM as well as low clock of Your CPU.

From what I've checked some time ago with my friends, your CPU can go safe up to 4.5 Ghz on air (we were benchmarking 8320 vs 3770K, both at 4.5) and I would recommend you to try OC it to higher values. After I've bought Squad it was so big dissapointment in terms of optymalisaion, I've OCd my FX up to 4.4 Ghz (don't want to go further as I want it stay quite cool around 50 out of 62 degrees of max safe cap) at GA970 ud3. Paired with R9 290 (almost no OC)  I can play at high settiings with 1080p or ultra low with SS set to 1.5x if I want to spot enemy better. 

Since 8320 and 8350 are almost the same in terms of max clock, you can try to safetly OC your CPU to a higher values. I would recommend mentioned 4.3 or 4.4 Ghz (on good air cooler, never try it at stock cooler). Also remember that FX CPUs requires much less voltage than most guys thinks - and less V means less generated heat. I'm running my 8350 at 4.4 at stock Voltage and don't use Prime95 for checking OC correctness as it's now working correctly with FX series. Run R15 benchmark, try for example Valley Benchmark, FireStrike and ... games :)

Try those:

LLC (Load Line Control) - set for Regular, with those settings you don't need more.

AMD C1E Support - keep at Auto

AMD C6 Support - keep Enabled

AMD Cool & Quiet - Auto (works really nice)

AMD APM Master Mode - set to Disabled

CPU Core control - keep at Auto

CPU Clock Ratio - x22 (to get 4400 Mhz)

CPU NorthBridge Freq. - x11 (2200Mhz)

CorePerformance Boost - Disabled (this is important)

CPU Frequency - 200 Mhz

PCIE Clock - 101 Mhz (and don't go further)

HT Link Width - keep Auto

HT Link Frequency - x13 (should give you 2600 Mhz)

DRAM E.O.C.P. - Disabled

(I'm not going to give you advices about memory, as it requires a lot of work. I'm using DDR3 Hyper X 1600 OCd to 1866, if You use the same - I can give you my timings setup, no problem)

System Voltage Control - Manual

CPU PLL Voltage Control - Normal (2.535V)

NB Voltage Control - 1.2V

HT Link Voltage - 1.21V

NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage Ctrl - keep at Normal (1.81V)

CPU NB VID - Normal

CPU Voltage Control - Normal (1.3625V) (if this would be not enough for 8320, try to bump it by one setting up)

That's not all. You can also change the priority of Squad in task manager to make sure it gets as much resources as he can. It's easy. After you run Squad, get Alt+TAB, open task manager, pick Squad from list and go to details (if Win10) or just right click on Squad and pick Priority --> High, than accept. This will also give you smooth bump in FPS.

I hope it will help.

Squad performance is a mess right now, if this won't help I think there is not much you can do.