DaiaBu

Some GUI Suggestions - Compass Heading & VOIP Indicator

Hi all!

Been playing this game for a couple of months now, and really enjoying it, so decided it was time to join the community, sign up on the forums and stick my two pence in :)

The game is fantastic so far, so good that I often forget it's still in the alpha stage. And seeing the trajectory the game is taking, it's kind of hard to think of any meaningful suggestions. However, I wanted to share a couple of small things in the hope that they might get picked up. These are by no means big changes, but little things that I think might make general communication and usability easier from my personal experience. 

Compass Heading

The compass is essential for communication in this game as we all know, for spotting enemies. My only suggestion is - can we make it so that your current heading is offset slightly above the rest of the compass bar? 

At the moment, the current heading is slightly larger than the rest of the bar, however in the heat of a firefight when trying to call out an enemy vector, I sometimes find it a little difficult to recall the current heading with only a quick glance. If the heading was raised up slightly, I think it would help draw the eye that little bit quicker.

VOIP Indicator

When someone says something over radio, or voice, then their name appears in the bottom left hand corner, so you know who's talking. The problem is, as soon as they stop transmitting, the indicator disappears. 

This isn't always a major concern, but a few times I have been in the situation where someone says something and by the time I've looked to see who was speaking, the indicator has disappeared from the screen. Obviously in real life, this isn't a problem, as you're likely to be able to identify your squad mates by their voice alone; but in a game where you are often playing with people you don't know, I think it would be handy to know who said something without having to ask them to repeat themselves.

My suggestion is, rather than the indicator disappearing immediately, have it fade out slowly. It doesn't have to stay long - just a second or two after they've taken their finger off the transmit key, which gives you a fraction of time to flick your eyes down and check who spoke. 

In addition - I'd also suggest adding an indicator to the names above each player. Last night I was in a game where I was following 3 or 4 other players as we entered a compound. They were all in front of me, so when one spoke, I couldn't tell who it was without looking down. If there was also an indicator on their name, I'd be able to tell who was talking without taking my eyes off the centre of the screen. 

I know these might sound like trivial changes, but I often think it's the little details like this which really help with the immersion and make your interaction with the game feel a little more natural.

First post, so be gentle. I go by this name in the game, so I guess I might see (or already have seen) some of you on UK servers :)

Edited by DaiaBu
structure/grammar