Sign in to follow this  
Romby

Playing squad with i3-7xxx vs i5-7xxx

Hi, 

My brother is building a new pc. He will mainly play squad on it. I told him that squad performance is decided by single core CPU performance. He originally wanted to get a i5-7500, but now he is thinking about a i3-7300 since it has higher clock speeds. Is there a reason to buy a i5 over a i3 (clock speed same) when only thinking about squad? He wornt be oc'ing his CPU. 

Edited by Romby

I'd take the i5. While yes, the i3 has a higher clock of 4ghz vs the i5's 3.4, the i5 has twice as many cores. Unless ALL he does is play squad, the i5 will offer better performance for almost any other title as well as general desktop speed. I'm not even sure how much a .6ghz will affect squad performance between these two CPUs.

14 minutes ago, Odin said:

Please remember this... clock speed isn't everything in terms of CPU.

Yeah I know. Just not enough of an expert to really explain why. Please help :-D

19 minutes ago, Nikko B said:

I'd take the i5. While yes, the i3 has a higher clock of 4ghz vs the i5's 3.4, the i5 has twice as many cores. Unless ALL he does is play squad, the i5 will offer better performance for almost any other title as well as general desktop speed. I'm not even sure how much a .6ghz will affect squad performance 

Yes I also thought this. But now the question was when only looking at squad. 

12 hours ago, Romby said:

Yeah I know. Just not enough of an expert to really explain why. Please help :-D

Yes I also thought this. But now the question was when only looking at squad. 

IPC Is important as well. For example a AMD FX processor maybe able to clock up to 4.5Ghz but it will not be as fast as a new kaby lake Intel G4560 [email protected] the IPC of the new intel chip is high.

Edited by godamntwitch